Hi, I'm new to this forum I've been reading around the internet and basically just getting myself worked up so thought talking to like minded people might help!
I was diagnosed with anxiety when I was 13 (I'm 38 now). I've never taken too much medication. Xanax when needed and I took Effexor for 1 month about 7 years ago. (I prefer the natural approach, acupuncture homeopathy etc) In September last year I got a very bad relapse of anxiety again (health related...it always is) and I agreed to go on 37.5mg of Effexor daily. A tiny dose so I told myself it would be fine.
A couple of weeks ago I started to get aching and tingling in my legs that was quite bad so I went to the GP. I thought it might be coming from my back as I have herniated discs pressing on nerves and I've only recently overcome sciatica. A Physio said something to me before about my back which can cause me anxiety so I get a bit freaked over it.
Anyway the doctor did the straight leg raise test and also used the little hammer thing to check my knees and ankles. He asked me if I was feeling anxious which I didn't think I was overly at the time (but I am now lol). He told me he didn't think there was anything too serious going on and that it could be muscular or more than likely a side effect of the Effexor. He asked me if I wanted to come off it. I told him the other GP in the practice (who prescribed the Effexor) told me I needed to stay on it for 6 months to stabilise it's effects. He just ok to this (he's careful what he says to me anyway) and offered me Gabapentin for nerve issues. I asked if I could just take nurofen and he said to try it for a few weeks and see how things go. This is the kind of doctor that doesn't like to give out antibiotics and he was willing to give me gabapentin. When I had the sciatica (which was bad) he didn't prescribe gabapentin.
So since then the aches have turned into a kind of burning sensation in my feet and lower legs and of course I'm getting all kinds of diagnosis from Google.
I've decided to come off the Effexor and when I was on it 7 years ago I was told to take one every 2nd day for a few days and then stop which worked fine. I've done the same thing this time and took my last dose on Sunday with the intention of taking no more so I'm wondering if this is what is causing the burning.
I have myself convinced that I have some chronic form of neuropathy and I'll have this forever.
Does anybody else have any kind of experience of this? There does seem to be a lot of info out there that people do experience it but unfortunately there are a lot of people who still have it after months! I'm hoping that if it is the Effexor the fact I was on such a low dose and only for a few months will mean it will only last another week or so. This is starting the same old vicious circle all over....getting so worked up, crying, can't focus and concentrate on anything, constantly thinking about it etc etc. I'm supposed to be opening my own business in a couple of weeks and I have a lot to be doing. I hate being like this.
Sorry for the long rant and post x