Thread: Pelvic laparoscopy

Pelvic laparoscopy

I might have to have a pelvic laparoscopy to investigate uterine pains that I've been having.

I've never had an operation before.

Has anybody else had this procedure and can they tell me their experience?

Thanks,

Jenny

Re: Pelvic laparoscopy

I have had it 3 times and to be honest when compared to other surgeries I have had, they weren't bad at all and you get to go a couple hours after..

Basically, you show up to the outpatient part of the hospital, sign in etc. When they call your name, you go back into the little surgery holding area. Your nurse comes in, she takes your vitals, starts an IV, gets you dressed in your gown and then you wait for the Anesthesiologist to come talk to you. When they come in, they ask you a few medical questions and explain to you their role... They ask if you have any questions... Sometimes your doctor will come in and have a brief chit chat with you and sometimes they dont. In any case you wait in that room until they are ready to take you into surgery. I always tell them I have anxiety and am extremely nervous. They give me a few shots to calm me and once I get those, I just dont care.. I do recommend that, if you are anxious.

When they are ready for you, they will take you into the surgery room and get you hooked up to the monitors etc. Once you get back there things move very fast. They talk to you as they administer the meds that are gonna knock you out and then everything goes dark and you wake up in recovery.

They make a couple tiny cuts.. I got 3 each time but the one near my belly button wasnt even visible once the stitch was gone and I really dont even have any scaring. They pump gas into your abdomen to expand it so they can see and have room to move around in there.. They start off by just looking but if they find something like scar tissue or a big cyst they take care of it while they are in there.

I dont know your pain tolerance but for me afterwards there really wasnt much pain at all. A tiny bit sore maybe but thats about it and they did a lot work while they were in there... I did however get a nagging pain in my right shoulder for about a day after but that is common with this type of procedure and is due to them filling your belly with gases, it was not an excruciating pain, just nagging... Not everyone gets it but it can happen...

Hope this helps some..

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

I forgot to add that once you are awake, the doctor will come see you before you go home to let you know what he found etc..

I just realized that you are in a different country then me but I dont think there will be much difference in procedure.
    Last edited by Careful1; 11-01-18 at 20:11.

I had this done in the UK In my 30s. I was in hospital overnight but times have changed since then so it may just be a day patient procedure nowadays. Mine consisted of a small incision made just below my belly button where the microscope was inserted. A bit sore afterwards but no real pain.

I'd had really heavy periods and they were investigating that. The result was that my uterine lining was thicker than normal so more of it was being shed each as a monthly period.

Thank you for your responses. I still feel that my problem is something INSIDE my cervix or uterus so I still might see if they think a hysteroscopy would be ok before a laparoscopy first. But if they want to do a laparoscopy I just hope I can be brave about it.

I'd be very keen on the drugs they give you beforehand to calm you down! Do you know what they give you, Careful?

Its called Versed and let me tell you, once you get it its like you feel every single negative thing float away... Its amazing... Deff make sure to tell them once you get settled that you are really nervous and suffer from anxiety and they will take care of it.

I remember the very first time I got it, I was getting ready to have my ablation and I was hysterical because I was so afraid... I was literally crying uncontrollably but once they pushed that Versed through my IV the tears automatically stopped falling and the stress, the fear, the worry, all of it was gone and replaced by a calm that I have never felt before. I never had a surgery or a procedure since then without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Careful1 View Post
    Its called Versed and let me tell you, once you get it its like you feel every single negative thing float away... Its amazing... Deff make sure to tell them once you get settled that you are really nervous and suffer from anxiety and they will take care of it.

I remember the very first time I got it, I was getting ready to have my ablation and I was hysterical because I was so afraid... I was literally crying uncontrollably but once they pushed that Versed through my IV the tears automatically stopped falling and the stress, the fear, the worry, all of it was gone and replaced by a calm that I have never felt before. I never had a surgery or a procedure since then without it.
    That sounds good, I'll be sure to ask the gynaecologist if that's available. Hopefully it will be in the UK.

Thread Information