View Poll Results: What medicine helped you the most ?

Voters
285. You may not vote on this poll
  • EFFEXOR

15 5.26%
  • CITLOPRAM

60 21.05%
  • ESCITALOPRAM (LEXAPRO/CIPRALEX)

24 8.42%
  • LORAZAPAM

12 4.21%
  • FLUXATINE

19 6.67%
  • SEROXAT

35 12.28%
  • AMITRIPTYLINE

10 3.51%
  • VENLAFAXINE

8 2.81%
  • CLOMIPRAMINE

10 3.51%
  • FLUVOXAMINE

1 0.35%
  • PROMAZINE

0 0%
  • PROPRANALOL

34 11.93%
  • VALIUM

57 20.00%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What Medicine Helped You ?

Re: What Medicine Helped You ?

Thank you for your most detailed reply.

I think she has given me the lowest dose possible as its supposed to be for daytime anxiety whereas yours if i'm correct was for insomnia etc.

However looking in various medical books, 10mg seems to be the normal dose but I dont want it to send me to sleep. Maybe I'll try 2 pills later when the Grand Prix is on!!!

I've been on several a/ds over the last 2 years, none which has worked since I stopped seroxat so I'm now trying to decide if enough is enough and do without which is a very scary thought but most days could I feel worse????

Luckily the GP is lovely but the mental Health team leave a lot to be desired.

Thanks again

Joy

Hi Joy, maybe I was just fortunate, but I had no side effects from this med at all. Including not feeling sleepy even after 30mg at night. I'm pretty sure that it was my docs intention to send me to sleep, but for me it never happened.

I'm a little concerned about how long I've been on it now, as its meant to be for short term use. Its anxiolytic effects are no longer as beneficial as they were but I'm unwilling to up my dose again.

Its probably time for a change or to stop altogether. Just like you though I'm nervous about doing the latter.

The main reason I'm on this is to reduce my alcohol consumption (which I have done greatly), and I've been referred to the Alcohol and Drugs Service after the CBT guy refused to even consider treating me.

After my first appointment with the ADS the person assessing me said it was only the 3rd time in 25 years he couldn't come up with an action plan and needed to consult with someone higher up.

At my second appointment I'd been double booked, so wasn't seen at all. Maybe 3rd time lucky ?

Krakers.

Hi , just thought Id update you on my new med, Amitryptyline.

The hospital gave me this a/d to help stop my silent migraines, they are used at a low dose 10mg-30mg, where as for depression/anxiety they can be used up to about 180mg !!!

Anyway , for the past week I have been taking 10mg, and it is taking the edge off my anxiety , like when i went out yesturday I started to have a panic attack but when it happened it didnt peak as bad as it usually does ?
    Its a strange feeling.

The hospital want me to increase it in a weeks time to 20mg, but Im no sure if I will , Ive notised they do make me feel tired and Im sleeping heavy.

As for my silent migraines , I havent felt off balance when walking , so it seems to be helping so far.

I will keep you posted on how its going , but wanted to let you know this is the first ever a/d that doesnt give horrible side effects, Ive tried so many before that made me feel worse.

Also i can take a propranalol with this a/d .

bye for now

Hi Mirry

Well done for taking the meds hun im glad they are making you feel a little better, stick at it Mirry.

Love and hugs

Andrea
    xxxx

thanks Andrea,

I went to work for one hour (am just about keeping my job going , its so tough) and whilst there I felt a almighty panic attack coming on , so I held onto the kitchen unit and once again , it didnt peak as strong as usual.
    But its strange I felt a bit down after that , then when i walked home , I felt a bit flustered , and I could hear my own heart beat pounding in my head .

It has taken the edge off my panic, but I still have a long way to go , still maybe upping my dose will help ?
    Is it normal to feel the panic attacks at a weaker strength ?

Quote Originally Posted by mirry View Post
    When looking up medication reviews on here I find it all very confusing, each pill seems to have more bad press than good , and more negative reviews than good.

It would be nice to see at a glance what meds help the most, so have posted a poll, would everyone please take the time to tick which med helped them please , so it can help others .

THANK YOU SO MUCH .

note: if your med is not listed please give details.
    rivotril(klonopin..clonazepam) no1 drug for social anxiety,a sm dose can knock it on the head and you feel like a new person.

not often prescribed,as its meant for epilepsy but a neurologist gave me some few years back as i went to see him re:my shaking etc he said it was anxiety symptoms and gave me said drug,i now get repeats from gp and for my condition its the best..tried every ssri under the sun and valium to,valium was doing ok then just stopped working overnight...10mg was fine then it was getting to 20mg so im glad im off that now.
    mirry dont know if you want to add it to your list or not?

pete

p.s if you have 10mins read this for sa sufferers.....
    http://www.socialfear.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mirry View Post
    Hi , just thought Id update you on my new med, Amitryptyline.

The hospital gave me this a/d to help stop my silent migraines, they are used at a low dose 10mg-30mg, where as for depression/anxiety they can be used up to about 180mg !!!

Anyway , for the past week I have been taking 10mg, and it is taking the edge off my anxiety , like when i went out yesturday I started to have a panic attack but when it happened it didnt peak as bad as it usually does ?
    Its a strange feeling.

The hospital want me to increase it in a weeks time to 20mg, but Im no sure if I will , Ive notised they do make me feel tired and Im sleeping heavy.

As for my silent migraines , I havent felt off balance when walking , so it seems to be helping so far.

I will keep you posted on how its going , but wanted to let you know this is the first ever a/d that doesnt give horrible side effects, Ive tried so many before that made me feel worse.

Also i can take a propranalol with this a/d .

bye for now

I took amitriptilyine for ages, it helps me sleep at night but I put on so much weight on it, I have asked to come off it, though I am worried I won't sleep well without it...

I hope it has a positive result for you

HI Pete yes have tried (Rovotrill )clonazepam and i agree it's extremely strong 2mg is really strong! It's very scary though and first time it was prescribed it must have knocked me out for at least 5 hours!!!! or more
    I wasn't expecting that !
    I really can not recommend any tranquillisers because all they do is mask your symptoms and you never face up to your fears, in the end you are tolerant again to them,but it is extremely tempting i know.
    But to anyone thinking of taking Clonazepam i would just say DONT
    what i do is take a minimum of sedatives and combine with CBT
    Take care Pete xxx

But when you are climbing the walls with anxiety and panic something has to bring you down and its whatever benzos suits. Lorazapam simply doesnt work for me so I have aproblem especially as the a/ds dont seem to be kicking in

Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    HI Pete yes have tried (Rovotrill )clonazepam and i agree it's extremely strong 2mg is really strong! It's very scary though and first time it was prescribed it must have knocked me out for at least 5 hours!!!! or more
    I wasn't expecting that !
    I really can not recommend any tranquillisers because all they do is mask your symptoms and you never face up to your fears, in the end you are tolerant again to them,but it is extremely tempting i know.
    But to anyone thinking of taking Clonazepam i would just say DONT
    what i do is take a minimum of sedatives and combine with CBT
    Take care Pete xxx
    richie,
    i agree about all they do is mask the symptoms,i have done some self cbt lately and the paranoia was hell but i didnt die and i done it without meds in me,so i know deep down inside this sa shell of mine i still have my original human "face it and feel it " gene!! kinda felt good to that u do summin without meds-cbt is the only long term solution to all this i know but its such such hard work (rewards will be grand i know) and waiting lists are soo long and u get 12 sessions then your on your own ..

ok 2mg is a big dose!! 0.5mg is equal to 10mg of diazepam so your taking like 40mg of diaz.so yeah no wonder it knocked you out,it is one of the stronger tranx hence y it works so well for sa...i dont feel knocked out thou when im at work only in the evening then it kinda creeps up n zzz kicks in.
    i have a saying that i like to keep in my head when im taking pills for my anxiety..."whatever it takes" and this keeps me from beating myself up about it and i didnt ask to have anxiety and feel paranoid walking down the street and every other socially anxious symptom you can name..if you have heart trouble your on meds for life so at this moment i have anxiety issues..."whatever it takes"

good luck with the cbt richie and you be careful out there

pedro

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information