Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stopping mirtazapine

Re: Stopping mirtazapine

Hi All
    This is my first post on the forum and have been reading about Mirtazapine as I have been on 30mg for the last 2 years. Started to have bad anxiety issues so doc put this up to 45mg, then two weeks later my psychiatrist suggested going back down to 30mg as he wanted to put me onto pregabalin.

I have reduced the Mirtazapine back down to 30mg and am having awful nausea and extreme fatigue a week on. I was just wondering if this could be a withdrawal problem but am not sure as I was only on the increased dose for just over two weeks.

Have not started the pregabalin because of all the bade side affects I have read (diagnosed with possible fibromyalgia)

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

Hi BarneyB,

The nausea and fatigue could be due to the change in dosage, or it could just be anxiety about changing doses and starting a new medication. Many people with anxiety suffer a spike in anxiety just before or after they start a new medication, particularly if they read through the list of potential side effects - every new medication these days has a list a mile long, though the vast majority of people will only experience one or two of the most common, if at all.

My advice is to start the pregabalin, even if you feel heightened anxiety at first. Most people on NMP have found it easy to start, with slight dizziness or clumsiness being two common and temporary side effects that pass after a week or two for most people. If pregabalin works it can be a real godsend, though it doesn't work for everyone. Good luck.

Hi Barneyb ,

It is probably not withdrawals but it is hard to say, it usually takes 4-6 weeks for a drug to produce some results and that is the same with decreases and increases. I would probably say that the nausea and fatigue are linked to the reason why you increased in the first place and as such the introduction of pregablin should take that away unless it is a product of depression as such the mirtazapine increases would work better for that than the pregablin.

I have been up and down, off and on mirtazapine and only when I reduced and came off completely was I mega unwell on dosage reduction it seems to be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Benjamin

I came off Mirtazapine, reduced from 30mg to 15mg within a week I had awful panic, but this goes in a couple of days it happened again when I reduced from 15mg to 7mg. Not everyone will have withdrawal, this is just my experience of it and it was not pleasant but it did pass quick. Hope I have helped somewhat.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information