Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should I act at ophthalmologist appointment?

How should I act at ophthalmologist appointment?

So I have an ophthalmologist appointment. Mainly because I have bad eye strain with my most recent glasses prescription. I had eye strain with my other prescriptions as well, but just blamed it on anxiety and tried to ignore it. Even when I didn’t think too much about my eyes I still had symptoms. I know I have eye anxiety, but I have real eye problems as well. I’ve actually blamed some of my very real eye problems on eye anxiety. An example is needing glasses and issues with depth perception. I thought I was imagining those issues because one eye doctor said I don’t need glasses. But eventually it turned out I have poor vision in one eye which explained my depth perception issues. How much should I mention my symptoms? I have bad anxiety about people not taking me seriously, especially doctors. So sometimes I avoid mentioning symptoms to not look too neurotic. But some of those symptoms turn out to be real and important. I’m mainly going there to have my eyes checked while they’re dilated. I know my eyes are otherwise healthy.

Re: How should I act at ophthalmologist appointment?

Just write it down, print it off and give it to them and let them decide.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I agree with Nicola, the night before your appointment sit down and write all your questions and concerns down on a piece of paper and hand it off to the doctor when you see him.

I do this all the time, not because I am afraid to speak out but because either I forget or get side tracked and often realize later once I get home that I forgot to ask him something...

Quote Originally Posted by Careful1 View Post
    I agree with Nicola, the night before your appointment sit down and write all your questions and concerns down on a piece of paper and hand it off to the doctor when you see him.

I do this all the time, not because I am afraid to speak out but because either I forget or get side tracked and often realize later once I get home that I forgot to ask him something...
    I’m concerned about eye strain, headaches and having trouble seeing computer screen or small details. I’m also wondering why my right eye(the better eye) prescription keeps getting lower while my left eye stays about the same. I also deal with migraines, but it might have nothing to do with eye strain.

Maybe I’m just getting these symptoms because I’m a migraine sufferer and my prescription isn’t actually that wrong. I heard about this guy who had the wrong prescription who was also a migraine sufferer until they fixed it. I’m just worried I’ll look like a hypochondriac if I bring up too much concerns. Should I even mention my migraines? I did notice more migraines after my prescription changed, but that could be because of a cold. A lot of times during my migraines the headache goes away completely if I close my eyes for a few minutes and keep everything dark and quiet. Is this normal for migraines?

Should I mention at the appointment I have spaced out vision and things sometimes look too small to see properly or does that sound too much like mental health issues? I’m trying to avoid sounding mentally ill even though these vision problems concern me.

Quote Originally Posted by Weebo View Post
    Should I mention at the appointment I have spaced out vision and things sometimes look too small to see properly or does that sound too much like mental health issues? I’m trying to avoid sounding mentally ill even though these vision problems concern me.
    Yes, you should mention everything and do not fear sounding mentally ill. Thats what the doctor is there for, to listen to your complaints and try to figure out whats going on but he cant do that if you dont tell him everything... Its important so make sure you write EVERYTHING down and hand it over as soon as he sits down.

Quote Originally Posted by Careful1 View Post
    Yes, you should mention everything and do not fear sounding mentally ill. Thats what the doctor is there for, to listen to your complaints and try to figure out whats going on but he cant do that if you dont tell him everything... Its important so make sure you write EVERYTHING down and hand it over as soon as he sits down.
    Would he even know what I mean by spaced out vision? It’s like everything goes out of focus and into my peripheral vision. It’s not the same as blurry vision.

I do not know if he will know what you mean but when you write it down also write a short description of what you mean... Exactly what you just wrote above...

1 Spaced out vision (Its like everything goes out of focus and into my peripheral vision).
    2 Blank blank blank
    3 Blank blank blank

and so on until you have written everything you want him to know and everything that concerns you.

Are ophthalmologists bad at prescribing glasses? I know they’re mainly for health stuff. They did ask me to bring my glasses, so they probably are going to test my eyes. The optometrists I’ve talked to keep saying optometrists are better, but maybe they’re biased.

I do not know if they are bad at prescribing glasses but I am certain they asked you to bring your glasses so they can check with and without them... An Ophthalmologist is an actual medical doctor with far more training then an Optometrists...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information