Thread: Upsetting thoughts

Upsetting thoughts

It doesnt matter where i am or what im doing i always suffer from awful morbid thoughts and dream up senarios which i know are not real and all made up but it seems so real.

I sometimes think so much that i cant remember what ive just done, its like my bodies on auto pilot and my mind is else where doing over time.

Sometimes the thoughts i have are so distressing it reduces me to tears, until i tell myself to stop being stupid and to pull myself together!

Does anyone else suffer from this??

What can i do to make it easier??

Help!

Suz x

Re: Upsetting thoughts

hello love,

Yes lots of people have these thoughts me included altho mine are rare these days ...... I had thoughts of harm and self harm , which i never acted upon

I also work for No Panic and i take lots of calls from people with these thoughts , like you I used to visualise them , and it controlled my days ..

I assure you , you are not alone sweetie

If it helps pm me or talk in chat

take care

Michelle

Hi,
    I can relate to what you say. I have upsetting thoughts too. They tend to be alot worse if i am tired or stressed.
    I read somewhere that its not the thoughts that are the problem, its our reaction to them. Without the fear they would hold no power and so they would just go away.
    Easier said than done though, I am still battling with this myself.
    Hang in there, your not alone.
    Take care
    Sarah

Hi Suzanna

Here are some links that may help hun, your certainly not alone in the way you are feeling.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=7794
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=coping

Love

Andrea
    xxxx

this is a reacurrance for me.
    i find that writing things down helps, but not only during the 'morbid thinking' stage. its good to write when you're up and when you're down. that way you can read back and remind yourself that you're not crazy and that you was perfectly normal 10minutes before you started thinking about those things.
    its not a cure though, it just helps a bit.

Hi, I know exactly what you mean. The thoughts racing and racing that you can barely connect with what you are doing. This is extreme anxiety. I have done a lot of reading and such on this subject. There is a lot of suffering you are going through - I've been there and will probably be there again off and on. However, and this is so important---this is not your fault, you didn't do anything wrong to have this happen to you. Your thought "filter" is not working the way it should. In other words, when you have a scary thought, your mind and body automatically assign so much importance to it, where as normally you could just say something like "That's creepy" and shrug it off and not give it any more time. Now, your body responds with probably a high alarm whenever the thought runs through, so somehow we are stuck with them going around and around. Just when it seems we get through one, then wham, another comes and around we go. The whole time terrified of what we are going through. What I believe is that our brains have a wiring problem, and I have found medication to help the most. However, each person must choose what helps them the most. I guess I just wanted to let you know, that what you are experiencing is very common from those of us who suffer from extreme anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
    It doesnt matter where i am or what im doing i always suffer from awful morbid thoughts and dream up senarios which i know are not real and all made up but it seems so real.

I sometimes think so much that i cant remember what ive just done, its like my bodies on auto pilot and my mind is else where doing over time.

Sometimes the thoughts i have are so distressing it reduces me to tears, until i tell myself to stop being stupid and to pull myself together!

Does anyone else suffer from this??

What can i do to make it easier??

Help!

Suz x
    I have them, especially at night when I'm trying to be calm...

Hi there,

I used to get thoughts of harming others, it was really distressing thankfully I don't get these thoughts very often anymore, I'm just stuck with a health anxiety and Panic disordr now!! (How lucky am I)

If I get these thoughts now they may last on and off for about a week and then go, I know I would never act on them and they are Just thoughts as my Psychiatrist used to tell me.

Speak soon

Andrew

Thread Information