Thread: Lump - vulva cancer fears.

Lump - vulva cancer fears.

Just before Christmas I noticed that the bottom of my urethral opening had swollen into a lump and the area around it is very red and swollen. I’m finding it very uncomfortable to sit and walk but I’m not having any issues urinating (except the irritated skin around burns a little) I went to the doctor who said she has no idea what could be causing it and because I suffer health anxiety I straight up asked her if it could be cancer. She said she doesn’t think so and only conducted a urine sample to see if I have a urine infection.

Trying to diagnose myself I began googling and I’ve found so many stories about women being misdiagnosed when it comes to cancers down below and now I’m extremely worried. The lump is getting bigger and redder and I also have found that the entire area is extremely tender to touch.

I’m frustrated that a medical professional had no idea what it was and I’ve found no other stories online of people having the same problem and I’m just a little lost :(

Re: Lump - vulva cancer fears.

If the doctor doesn't know what it is they should refer you on to see someone more qualified so go back and ask for that.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Bravestmundane View Post
    Just before Christmas I noticed that the bottom of my urethral opening had swollen into a lump and the area around it is very red and swollen. I’m finding it very uncomfortable to sit and walk but I’m not having any issues urinating (except the irritated skin around burns a little) I went to the doctor who said she has no idea what could be causing it and because I suffer health anxiety I straight up asked her if it could be cancer. She said she doesn’t think so and only conducted a urine sample to see if I have a urine infection.

Trying to diagnose myself I began googling and I’ve found so many stories about women being misdiagnosed when it comes to cancers down below and now I’m extremely worried. The lump is getting bigger and redder and I also have found that the entire area is extremely tender to touch.

I’m frustrated that a medical professional had no idea what it was and I’ve found no other stories online of people having the same problem and I’m just a little lost :(
    I had something similar a few years back. The meatus (I think it's called) of my urethra became swollen and sore and my vestibule was quite sore too.

My doctor didn't know what it was so referred me to a consultant. They took a biopsy but found nothing abnormal and gave me some steroid cream.

At first the cream didn't work so I was told to double the dosage and then it finally started going away. I think the other thing that actually might have helped even more was switching my soap. I changed to a totally pure, unscented, uncoloured soap.

I had it for at least four months but eventually it totally cleared up.

Cancerous lumps tend to be hard and not painful. Yours sounds much more like an infection or inflammatory reaction to something, like mine was.

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    I had something similar a few years back. The meatus (I think it's called) of my urethra became swollen and sore and my vestibule was quite sore too.

My doctor didn't know what it was so referred me to a consultant. They took a biopsy but found nothing abnormal and gave me some steroid cream.

At first the cream didn't work so I was told to double the dosage and then it finally started going away. I think the other thing that actually might have helped even more was switching my soap. I changed to a totally pure, unscented, uncoloured soap.

I had it for at least four months but eventually it totally cleared up.

Cancerous lumps tend to be hard and not painful. Yours sounds much more like an infection or inflammatory reaction to something, like mine was.
    This is such a relief to me to hear this, thank you so much. I’ve been driving myself insane trying to google and find somebody else with this problem and had found nothing! I’ll definitely have a word with the doctor and see if she thinks it’ll help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravestmundane View Post
    This is such a relief to me to hear this, thank you so much. I’ve been driving myself insane trying to google and find somebody else with this problem and had found nothing! I’ll definitely have a word with the doctor and see if she thinks it’ll help me.
    No worries, hope it clears up for you!

And I'd seriously consider switching your soap too. I switched to one that was basically 100% glycerin even though I was really skeptical that I was having some sort of allergic reaction. It was annoying because all the doctors could say was that it was some sort of inflammation, but they didn't know what or why!

A while after it had all cleared up I switched back to using FemmeFresh, which is meant to be completely non-irritating, and almost immediately I started feeling the discomfort return! Obviously I went back to natural soap right away and had no problems.

I still don't really know what it was, or why it would suddenly start bothering me after years of using the same products, but there you go. Hasn't troubled me for years now.

Thread Information