Hi everyone. Having had heart issues for many years, namely, acute episodes of rapid pulse, what feels like irregular pulse, chest pain and skipped beats, I have had several tests over a long period.

Recently I had a 7 day holter monitor and was told that the results were nothing to worry about. I had a copy of the results and reading through it says that I had episodes of 1st degree AV block and had a number of 'significant pauses' of durations exceeding 2 seconds.

I suppose I wouldn't necessarily be aware of these events although on occasions I feel as though my heart has stopped and I feel light headed, quickly getting back to normal though. Sometimes I feel as though I am just about to pass out, for no obvious reason.

I presume 1st degree AV block and pauses are common but it is concerning me nevertheless. When I have major symptoms each night, I find it very difficult to quell the feeling of panic I get because my heart races and I feel breathless, sweaty and sometimes dizzy. I know these are symptoms of anxiety and hyperventilation but I am concerned that they are symptoms of my heart not working properly. It is easier to be rational in the daytime and not worry about it, but when I wake in the night I feel very anxious.

I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who also has 1st degree AV block and pauses when heart activity stops for seconds.