Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart flutters and pain

Heart flutters and pain

I’ve had really bad heart flutters/thuds for over a month now and sometimes when it happens I get like shooting pains go down my left arm/leg/foot and sometimes ithe pain stays in my foot for ages. It really scares me does anyone else get this?

Re: Heart flutters and pain

Hi Shelly,
    Firstly, have you seen your GP about this? If not, I would see your GP first. They can listen to your heart and get more info out of you in order to make a call on what to do next.
    If this is a new symptom then please arrange an appointment asap. Don’t be alarmed if they want to carry out an ECG.

Do you smoke?
    Family history of heart trouble?
    Are you overweight?
    Do you know your blood pressure or cholesterol?
    Do they happen at rest or exercise?
    Also, how old are you?
    Last edited by Jack4440; 18-01-18 at 19:52.

Yes I’ve seen my gp loads of times about this issue and had a couple of ecgs which always comes back normal and it’s always put down to anxiety. I don’t smoke, don’t have a family history of heart trouble, not overweight, last time I had my blood pressure taken it was normal although I’ve been under stress recently so it’s proberly abit high, they mostly happen when I’m resting or move to quickly, I’m 29.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Ah, ok, well that makes things a lot more reassuring. In that case, your doctors advice, I would agree is correct. The ectopic beat you feel, many people have them and usually are totally harmless. I’ve had them since I was a child and had numerous tests too to rule out structural heart disease or other problems.

I think you e got caught up focusing onto them (like I did) and you’re actually waiting for them and notice them more.

Have you tried CBT therapy?

It just sets me off in a panic attack every time it happens and especially when I get shooting pain on the left side of my body, it makes me think that I’m just about to die. I’ve had them on and off for a few couple of years. I’ve tried cbt it didn’t work at all for me.

I understand how terryifing they can be. What do you think is going on? Do you think a specific tests done that hasn’t already?

Don’t know maybe just to much stress but my mind goes in to overdrive and thinks the worst thing. Every time I go to the drs they just look at my notes see i have anxiety and anything I say they say oh it’s just anxiety. I never get taken seriously and I get ignored and they tell me to go to cbt which doesn’t work or I get given tablets which I can’t take.

It sounds like you think you’re not being taken seriously by the Dr? Have you seen another dr as well? They know it’s anxiety, so that’s what they’re telling you. If they sent you for more tests it would only make your anxiety worse and they do t think here is any reason to investigate further, so why out you through that?
    I know it doesn’t help, but try to see it from their point of view. I agree that CBT is probably best and try out some self help exercises. Trust the dr :-).

I'm afraid being repeated "it's anxiety" doesn't help keeping quiet. Tell me I'm too nervous or anxious and, even if I know it is true, those words would likely make me more anxious...
    Knowledge may be the key. It is for me. I didn't need being told it's harmless. I did need to understand why it is harmless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information