Thread: Lost identity

Lost identity

I dont really know exactly how to put this, but when my anxiety is really bad, as it is right now, its like I dont actually exist anymore. Its like my body is an empty shell, and my persona has left. Even when I am well, this feeling is still there, but nowhere near as bad. The worst part when I am well, is that my name doesnt seem to belong to me, and when I say it, it seems really strange. Anyhow, this always seems to get worse in Jan each year, to the point where I was in hospital this time last year. If that wasnt bad enough, my home and all the things in it seem really unfamiliar and scary. Hope someone can relate

Ade

Re: Lost identity

I feel like that, too. My panic attacks are always accompanied by extreme depersonalisation, which sometimes runs in the background and creates unpleasant sensations even when I'm not having a panic attack.
    I often feel like my limbs aren't really there/my own, and everything feels unfamiliar, just like how you describe your own sensations.

You're definitely not alone, Ade.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Ana. Sorry that you feel this way also, but a comfort to know that I am not alone. Does your name feel strange to you also?.
    I wish you all the best Ana

Hmm... I'm sure that I've had experienced that before, though I can't say it's what's happening at the moment. Right now, the thing I seem to be experiencing the most is not feeling like I'm actually here. It's really annoying...

Hi I'm Lee and new to the forum. While I was running the bath for the kids I sat on the edge and put my hand under the hot tap to check the temperature. looking down at my hand It just didn't feel or look like it was mine. Very strange sensation.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Hey Lee, I experience this A LOT! This morning, I woke up feeling like nothing at all was real. It was very frightening, but Klonopin helped calm me down...

Thread Information