Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I been exposed??

Have I been exposed??

I'm deathly afraid of the flu. A friend just walked up to me at an outdoor location. We stood about 5 ft apart and only said a couple sentences to each other. Then she tells me she might have the flu (she got sick yesterday). Have I been exposed? She didn’t cough or sneeze. I am so angry, I would never walk up to someone when sick. I'm terrified.

Re: Have I been exposed??

Highly unlikely .

Did you know that people are actually more contagious at the end of a cold or flu? I seriously think it's unlikely, I've never had the flu but apparently you know about it when it hits you!! So your friend wouldnt just think they had it.

Stay calm x

I don't think that's true. I think people are more contagious within the first 24 hours of symptoms from what I've read.

It's highly unlikely just from speaking to someone you'd get the flu, especially if they weren't coughing/sneezing.

I am panicking.

I'm in the same boat. I have a slight headache and feel tired so I'm extremely terrified it's the flu. It's really scary but the thing you (well, we!) have to remember is that so many people every single year get the flu and live through it just fine. I'm pregnant now and that is what is really increasing my anxiety about it. If you're not pregnant, though, there are little risk factors involved with the flu unless you have a pre-existing condition. I completely understand your fear though, and it seems like a lot of people don't care about spreading it to other which can be very frustrating.

I just had the flu, it's not pleasant but it's extremely survivable.

I don't think you've been exposed by your friend.

I had not had the flu in about 15 years, I was surprised to get it this year. Good practice is to keep your hands away from your face.

Ok... reality... I had the flu shot. I didn't get the flu but I caught a nasty "crud" (that's still hanging on a bit) along with a stomach virus that has literally knocked the poo out of me!

I used common sense, washed my hands, had disinfectant gel and used it often and still got sick. Bottom line is, if you're going to get sick, you're going to get sick.

That being said, standing 5 feet away from someone who thinks they're coming down with the flu doesn't constitute an anger response nor panic.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Ok... reality... I had the flu shot. I didn't get the flu but I caught a nasty "crud"

Positive thoughts
    Am thinking of getting the 'flu jab' this year after a bad winter last year! I'm at the coalface, relieving in various primary schools, so lots of exposure. Usually I get just a couple of colds each year with my CFS zapping most virus's.

However your immune function can deteriorate as you age. It will be the first one I've ever had. A music teacher friend of mine who has Lupus (and is older than me) says it can create havoc in an immune system that's already confused! At present I'm in two minds.

I don't have any HA of the flu, bugs or needles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information