Thread: I'm Slowly Dying of Meningitis. (At least, that's what I've convinced myself.) Help?

I'm Slowly Dying of Meningitis. (At least, that's what I've convinced myself.) Help?

First of all, I'm very happy I found this site. I have suffered with anxiety all of my life. No one around me understands. My mother and father were both hypochondriacs and would rush me to the doctor at the slightest fever or sign of illness. This, as you can clearly see, has unfortunately had a lasting effect on me.

My symptoms started a week ago. There is a viral stomach infection going around and I had it. I didn't really think much else of it but then I started to have chills and general body aches. The stomach issues subsided and in its place came back pain and neck pain. I don't know if you would really call it stiffness but since I don't exactly know what they mean by stiffness, I won't rule it out. I have had minor headaches but nothing I would label as "severe." I do still have the chills sometimes and achey and tired feeling but so far thankfully my temperature has not gone above 99.4°

I Googled my symptoms. Diagnoses? Meningitis. Now I'm absolutely terrified I have it and I'm going to die any moment. My husband is not supportive at all and keeps trying to to get me to rush to the ER. I know that they do a spinal tap to test for meningitis and I have heard how excruciatingly painful that is plus I have a HUGE needle phobia so I'm stuck. In a battle with my mind. Having anxiety attacks going on 3 days thinking I'm dying. That my almost 2 year old will be left motherless.

Please someone, anyone. Words of comfort and advice? I'm really having a battle here....

Re: I'm Slowly Dying of Meningitis. (At least, that's what I've convinced myself.) He

I had the same thing. Hit me last Wednesday night. Let's just say I still feel like I got run over by a truck as opposed to dying of meningitis so I'm sure you're still hurtin' a bit too.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: I'm Slowly Dying of Meningitis. (At least, that's what I've convinced myself.) He

I'm Slowly Dying of Meningitis.
    You don't slowly die of meningits..... it is a very fast disease and you would know you had it in hour.

to be blunt if you had untreated meningitis for over a week you would have died at least a few days ago

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

There are so many different things going around right now that the likelihood of meningitis is almost zero. Your immune system is down from your stomach virus. Much more likely you’ve picked up a cold or mild flu that’s going around. Lots and lots of fluids, and rest are the key! You’ll feel better soon ��

The spinal tap doesn't hurt as bad as you think, I had it done a couple months ago. And also, you would know if there was a meningitis outbreak going around...it would be on the news and web

I bet you have the flu. Sorry :( Rest up.

As a bacterial meningitis survivor I can tell you the idea of "dying slowly" of it is ridiculous.

I wasn't umming and ahhing on the Internet about my symptoms, I was throwing up green sludge into the kitchen sink and unconscious in the back of an ambulance within an hour of realising I had it.

And you don't know what they mean by stiffness? Trust me, you would...

You have flu.

---------- Post added at 08:01 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

And let's just say your subconscious isn't convinced if your dislike of needles is winning out over fear of imminent death.

Usual caveat though - we're not medics and are Internet randoms, and when you suspect something like this you have to use your own judgement at the end of the day. I don't say that to scare you, as I don't for a second believe you have meningitis, but we shouldn't have the responsibility of telling people they should or shouldn't seek medical help.
    Last edited by axolotl; 23-01-18 at 10:34.

Quote Originally Posted by axolotl View Post
    As a bacterial meningitis survivor I can tell you the idea of "dying slowly" of it is ridiculous.

I wasn't umming and ahhing on the Internet about my symptoms, I was throwing up green sludge into the kitchen sink and unconscious in the back of an ambulance within an hour of realising I had it.

And you don't know what they mean by stiffness? Trust me, you would...

You have flu.

---------- Post added at 08:01 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

And let's just say your subconscious isn't convinced if your dislike of needles is winning out over fear of imminent death.

Usual caveat though - we're not medics and are Internet randoms, and when you suspect something like this you have to use your own judgement at the end of the day. I don't say that to scare you, as I don't for a second believe you have meningitis, but we shouldn't have the responsibility of telling people they should or shouldn't seek medical help.
    This is the real deal!

I had a close friend have meningitis last year. It causes an inflammation of the meninges surrounding your brain.

The symptoms of which cause increased pressure inside your head and SEVERE headaches which cause you to vomit and lose consciousness and have seizures.

If you are not having those things....you do not have meningitis.

Quote Originally Posted by venusbluejeans View Post
    You don't slowly die of meningits..... it is a very fast disease and you would know you had it in hour.

to be blunt if you had untreated meningitis for over a week you would have died at least a few days ago
    Spot on. My friend had meningitis. Within a couple hours of feeling unwell they were on life support. She pulled through without any problems but the illness is so fast OP wouldn't last a week if they had it.

OP can smile and have that nice feeling of relief that it isn't meningitis. Those feelings of relief are amazing though.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by venusbluejeans View Post

Never thought that I'd be so relieved to hear the words "you would've been dead a few days ago".

Thread Information