Thread: Anemophobia and agoraphobia

Anemophobia and agoraphobia

Hello

I would like to share my story and find someone who understands what I m going through and maybe has the same battles.

My anemophobia started 2013 autumn.

In the morning I went to the bus station as usual to go to work.
    A huge gust of wind blew straight to my face and I started to turn my head to another direction to catch my breath.

I turned around and lost my breath.

I thought I will run back to home but then I saw my bus and almost suffocated to stand there but I HAD TO go to work.

At first I thought I have difficulties with my shallow breathing but the doctor said I was fine.

I learned deeper breathing and carried on with my life.

I had minor panic attacks which grew bigger.

I felt suffocation, dizzines. I thought I m going to pass out.

I avoided places which were far away from houses. I avoided going near to the sea.

If I could get somewhere with taxy then I paid for the ride and carried on with my life.

Last year my fear grew bigger and made me homebound.

I cant go to the bus or in the car to drive to work.
    I feel like I m trapped.
    I fear I m going to pass out or lose my breath because I get really anxious.

I cant go anywhere and cant avoid fear anymore :/

Re: Anemophobia and agoraphobia

Hey there,
    I'd start from a general advice. Actually I am searching for the same answers. However, I've got another kind of phobia [if it is - I don't know so far] and will try to follow these solutions too after summarizing them here.

1. It is really possible to get rid of phobias, and in some cases even independently. Recommendations will be of a general nature, because each particular fear has its own causes.

2. Do not focus on negative emotions. To do this, you need to recall your pleasant memories or activities that are fun. Maybe just remember something you did the best. It is not necessary to achieve complete tranquility in any situation, to wait for fear to evaporate, that stiffness and excitement will go away. For activities just need fighting excitement.

3. Do not fight with fear, but with its intensity. The more a person fights, wishing to get rid of these obsessive thoughts, the more they master him/her. Fear is the oldest protective response of all living beings to danger. Paradoxically, the best way to really get rid of fear is to admit that you are scared and learn to live with this thought. Therefore, you need to recognize your fear and even dive into it, allow yourself to be afraid. And soon you will notice that its intensity gradually decreases.

---------- Post added at 09:15 ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 ----------

4. Go in for sports. Physical activity and exercise burn excess adrenaline. Body deficiencies, as well as inadequate fullness of life are often hidden. How should the body inform us about them? Sometimes it happens with malfunctions and disorders at the mental level.

5. Accept yourself as you are. In every person there is all good and all bad, any qualities that can only be imagined. The fear of ourselves was imposed even in childhood by the adoption of only their "light" image. However, this is only a truncated image of reality.

For sure there will be people who will find that the best way to avoid obsessive fears is to never be afraid of anything at all. And they will be wrong. The absence of all kinds of anxieties and fears is just a sign of a psychiatric disorder.

Re: Anemophobia and agoraphobia

Hi....

I too have this phobia and it is absolutely crippling!!

I have only had it for about 2 months now but it spiraling out of control very fast. I do understand how you feel! I do not want to go to work, I have no interest in going anywhere. I am anxious all the time. I even started developing physical symptoms nausea, vomiting, lack of apatite.

Are you on medication? Or seeing a psychiatrist / psychologist?

Our phobia doesn't seem to be very common as I do not find a lot of people suffering from it...

Thread Information