Thread: Doctor refused sick note for stress - don't know what to do

Doctor refused sick note for stress - don't know what to do

I've been at the same dead end job for 13 years as I struggle with change. Recently, my training role has ended and I have been dumped into the call centre as an agent. I have been constantly stressed out since. It's got to the stage where I dread going in and it's affecting my mental health. I've spoken with my boss and they refuse to offer any other duties due to business needs. Also, my boss isn't my biggest fan and.I know that she gives me the worst workstreams because of her personal vendetta, not that I can prove it of course. It's getting to the point where I'm struggling to cope but I.can't just leave as I have two boys and a mortgage to take care of.

I went to see my GP today and asked for a couple of weeks to get my head together and plan my next steps. She point blank refused to issue a note saying it's between me and my employer to resolve. I argued the point that this is having an effect on my mental health, but she didn't budge.

I'm due back at work tomorrow as I've already self certified for seven days. I don't know what I can do as I can't face going in and every time I think about it I start to panic. I feel completely trapped and like I'm on the brink of a breakdown or something. I thought that after finally plucking up the courage to see a GP that I'd have some support and time to plan my next steps, but now I'm due back at work in less than 24 hours and I'm worried sick!

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.
    Last edited by BigMac; 24-01-18 at 13:35.

Re: Doctor refused sick note for stress - don't know what to do

Hi there

Doctors have been under pressure for some time about the number of sick notes that are written every year, and they have to be satisfied that they think the patient is really unfit for work.

It sounds to me as though you are at a crossroads; you say you don't deal well with change, but it looks as though the only options you have left are to find a way to get yourself through every day, or find another job as quickly as you can. One of the CBT scenarios I was taught was "what's the worst that can happen" if you take one action or another. The best thing I can suggest is running your options through this question and see which gives you the best answer.

I'm sorry you're in this situation, and I wish you the best of luck.

I think you just have to see your job and current situation as a means to an end, while you find something better.

If Doctors gave out sick notes because people are stressed or just need a bit of a break, I would imagine half the country wouldn't turn up for work.

HI BigMAc,

I do feel for you, as I've had periods over 30 years ago where I was off work (signed off) for mental health reasons. Thinking and feeling you just can't go in, and feeling panic at it, is a horrible feeling. However, was I right to have that time off? Well, it felt right at the time as I was desperate for a way out, BUT when I had to return it was terrible. I was in a worse state than I had been before the sign off period - my anxiety and stress at returning was even more unsurmountable than it was weeks prior.

I suspect, despite your GP being 'harsh', in his or her mind is the knowledge that long-term this won't be a helpful break to you. There are aspects of your working life you need to deal with, standing at the cross-roads as someone above said, and leaving it won't be beneficial. Is there a supervisor, HR person or line manager you could make an appointment with tomorrow? Going in and being honest with them could be a way forward...

Thread Information