Thread: Fear of a blood clot

Fear of a blood clot

And due to my HA I don't understand if I should be worried and get it checked out or not. My husband says I am overreacting and that it is nothing there. But how would he know? I feel so bad because of his "there is nothing there"...

I've had pain in my calf mostly when i walk, but today i feel it even when still. It is like a pressure. I am 9 weeks pregnant. My calves are swollen too, not much, but 2 cm bigger than normally. No redness, though.

Maybe I shouldn't be worried but I have vein problems running in my family, my grandma had, my dad had, my sister had varicose vein surgery after she gave birth. Plus pregnang women are more prone to getting blood clots. I am also on a medication Duphastone. Its instruction says that taking those increase the risk of blood clots.

So now my problem is - should I call my doctor or visit her and tell or should I leave it as it is as my husband says?

I consulted my sister who is a midwife and based on what I told her, she said she is sure I don't have a blood clot because there is no redness or heat over the tender calf. But how would she know without scans or tests. .

I have long suspected I have some kind of clotting disorder as .my whole life I've been prone to large, black bruises after heat (sauna, for example) or small petechiae, despite good blood tests with platelets even on the high end of normal.

If I visit a doctor and they say that I am fine and there is no blood clot, I will feel ridiculous because of all the recent cases I've been told I'm fine. But then again what if I ignore it and then this time it really is something?

Re: Fear of a blood clot

what did you learn from reading and commenting on Axolotl#s thread?

That visiting doctors and ordering tests are just seeking for reassurance and don't give the real relief, just temporary. I know, that is why I haven't rushed to my doctor or paid for an ultrasound yet. I hope I won't. But I keep thinking what if this time it is for real? Because this time I do have factors that would contribute to it, being inherited vein problems and being on progesterone supplements. And the fact that my leg hurts and is swollen a bit.

And what about the rest of the thread re jumping to conclusions and symptoms appearing after searching for info

I totally understand it. Especially how today I got a new "symptom", excessive yawning despite sleeping for 9 hours. Apparently it can be a sign of pulmonary embolism as I read yesterday.

It is funny how our bodies can produce symptoms simply because our minds are concentrated on the diseases that can be accompanied by those symptoms.

Anyways, my book "Overcoming Health Anxiety" just came in today from amazon so I will try to use the techniques suggested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastett View Post
    It is funny how our bodies can produce symptoms simply because our minds are concentrated on the diseases that can be accompanied by those symptoms.

Anyways, my book "Overcoming Health Anxiety" just came in today from amazon so I will try to use the techniques suggested in it.
    Fantastic Bastett, let us know how you get on with it

Thread Information