Thread: So OCD can look like ADHD?

So OCD can look like ADHD?

So I have some OCD symptoms. I also have some ADHD-like symptoms. I just read that OCD can look like ADHD a lot of the time. That kind of makes sense to me. I know cleanliness has nothing to do with OCD, but I think it illustrates how my OCD might seem like ADHD. I can’t keep my room clean. Mainly because too many things seem wrong to me, so I kind of shut down and give up. But I do notice I’m closer to the OCD stereotype when I’m at a hotel and not overwhelmed by too much stuff. I also tried Ritalin once, but it just made me anxious and in a way more distracted.

Re: So OCD can look like ADHD?

Some characteristics with ADHD can seem like OCD. Usually it's the hyperfocus that people with ADHD can exhibit that looks like they are obsessing about one topic or one thing. What you're describing just seems like being overwhelmed. You're not cleaning you're room because the job seems to big and you just shut down and give up.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Some characteristics with ADHD can seem like OCD. Usually it's the hyperfocus that people with ADHD can exhibit that looks like they are obsessing about one topic or one thing. What you're describing just seems like being overwhelmed. You're not cleaning you're room because the job seems to big and you just shut down and give up.
    Interesting. I think I have regular OCD because I do have OCD type obsessions. Such as obsessing about my eyesight or HOCD. I do have compulsions related to those obsessions, but they’re usually rumination or stuff I do in private. I think a lot of OCD people hide compulsions.

I have AD(H)D and a kind of OCD, but when I'm on my meds I don't have to order all my things in my house or to check my car several times a day. My AD(H)D meds keep me very calm and concentrated.

Ritalin can make you extremely anxious, when you have a light or a to strong dose.

Thread Information