Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Absence after posts

Absence after posts

Something that strikes me about this forum: I'm an active user on various forums, and have been most of my adult life, but something appears different and quite marked on here.

To elaborate - often someone posts a desperate request for help/advice/opinions, and gets various (time consuming) replies from several members. However, it is frequent that they don't return to that thread. Maybe they read the replies maybe they don't, maybe they read them and decide not to respond further, maybe they move on from the crisis they had and it becomes no longer relevant to them. I just think (and this doesn't apply to everyone here of course!) that sometimes a quick thanks, or an update to those who responded would be thoughtful and mean that those who have spent the time responding feel their time wasn't wasted.

As I say, this is a general observation, and not aimed at anyone in particular. I wonder if anyone else has noticed the same....or has any additional ideas as to why it is prevelant on the forum?

Re: Absence after posts

It happens a lot Carys and sometimes I feel why do I bother replying when they never reply or come back or even say thanks.

There are few like this at the moment that I could mention but won't

Maybe they don't like the replies they get cos it is not what they want to hear - not sure.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Completely agree with you....

It is the same when they then post about a week later saying. "Hey, sorry I posted in a desparate panic and then went out shopping"

Even more annoying is when they post saying that they are really panicking and think they are dying of a really bizarre disease never appear on the forum again!!

Something Admin can not control is the politeness of members..... wish we could

Which reminds me I need to update my thread

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that scenario....they don't like the reply they get and therefore back off the subject. It just seems very churlish to not even take the time to say a quick thank you; when they reached out people were there, and yet they don't give the same courtesy to those people who gave their time. Oh well, maybe there is no answer to this......just suddenly struck me that about 80% of threads I had added something to never had the OP returning.
    Last edited by Carys; 25-01-18 at 17:21.

This is when the "anxiety" excuse is rolled out..Explains a multitude of "sins"

Excellent point well made, Carys.

I had a thank you yesterday from a young lady and I thought then how unusual it is that someone does come back to say thanks for taking the time.

OK, good, well glad I'm not alone in this feeling and perception of things. No amount of anxiety, as Pulisa mentions, excuses being impolite. Ah well admins, as you say you can't control that aspect of things can you....I guess people will just get wise to those that don't come back to their threads.

Well, I’ve posted a thread and no one has even really answered, and I need help really bad

With respect Bl4ze, you posted a medical question about a condition nobody knows anything about. I'm not trying to be abrupt or dismissive, but as its a Health Anxiety site and not a medical site, its kinda hard to answer your questions on the other thread.

Oh ok it’s just a red patch in my inner cheek which could be oral cancer apparently

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information