Thread: withdrawal symptoms mirtazapine?

withdrawal symptoms mirtazapine?

I have been on mirtazapine for at the very least 7 years,last year they had me on 60mgs for a few month but on the whole its been 45mgs,but after new diagnosis they decided to wean me off them so they reduced my dosage gradually over the past month and I had my last ever tablet 5 days ago now but I have noticed around 3 days after stopping them altogether im not feeling good at all, feeling sickish although not being physically sick, my head dosnt feel right, restless sleep, grinding teeth in sleep numerous other things
    just wondering if anybody else has previous experience of long term mirtazpine use and being taken off it?
    iv googled it but you tend to find people only really post bad experiences so just wondering if its only short term or rare to have this effect?

Re: withdrawal symptoms mirtazapine?

Quote Originally Posted by borojames View Post
    I have been on mirtazapine for at the very least 7 years,last year they had me on 60mgs for a few month but on the whole its been 45mgs,but after new diagnosis they decided to wean me off them so they reduced my dosage gradually over the past month and I had my last ever tablet 5 days ago now but I have noticed around 3 days after stopping them altogether im not feeling good at all, feeling sickish although not being physically sick, my head dosnt feel right, restless sleep, grinding teeth in sleep numerous other things
    just wondering if anybody else has previous experience of long term mirtazpine use and being taken off it?
    iv googled it but you tend to find people only really post bad experiences so just wondering if its only short term or rare to have this effect?
    Hi mate.

How quick did you reduce? I recently came off mirtazapine and ended up going back up to my dose as I reduced way too quickly :-(

It isn’t rare and I think mirtazapine has the same withdrawals as other antidepressants!

Take it easy and if it gets too bad don’t feel bad about redosing and re trying

Cheers

Are they switching you?

thanks for reply they reduced me from 45mg to zero in 1 month, while at the same time starting me on mood stabilisers which are topiramate
    thanks again for reply
    im not good at all at the mo with withdrawals

Quote Originally Posted by borojames View Post
    thanks for reply they reduced me from 45mg to zero in 1 month, while at the same time starting me on mood stabilisers which are topiramate
    thanks again for reply
    im not good at all at the mo with withdrawals
    Sounds very similar to me mate- my psych switched me from mirtazapine to wellbutrin and reduced me from 30 to 0 in 8 days and I CRASHED. I reinstated and I'm still waiting for myself to mentally stabilise. Maybe depending on your doctor you can 're instate?

just spoke to my care co-ordinator at mental health services and she asked me to stick with it and increase the topirate to the maximum dosage a week early so start that tomorrow at max dose but like I said to her thats not going to change withdrawals and I made docs appointment but its a week today, all she said was if you need to speak just ring me or over weekend speak to crisis team
    in other words just suffer it by sounds of it

I know that feeling, it's how I felt struggling through med start ups. I think they are mindful that if we push through just a bit more it starts to go but we all know that's not always the case with meds.

What I'm confused about is the switch here. I know you've had a change in diagnosis and that's likely why they are doing this switch but these meds have no interaction so I can't see any reason why you would need to come off the Mirt so it's possible they could have done a slower taper.

Normally they get people off quick because they are substituting with a similar acting med but this one has no interaction so it seems safe to run alongside

Topiramate isn't a mood stabiliser, it's an anticonvulsant. It us used for BPD, bipolar, etc as well though. It has it's own side effects in start up so I'm also wondering where this fits into your current struggle because you have a withdrawal on top of this. When did you start the Topiramate? It could even be that which started the side effects a few days after the Mirt and the Mirt hasn't caused all of this?

Hi I started topirimate the same day I started reducing mirtazapine and was instructed to increase dosage each time I reduced my mirt dosage
    I did question topiramate as mood stabiliser as like you read about it and found same results as you but was told it’s also used as mood stabiliser in some cases and they the so called experts

Thread Information