Thread: Some Advice about a sick note?

Some Advice about a sick note?

Hey so as you know from my previous posts, I suffer bad anxiety and recently it's been even worse where I'm not sleeping and bad panic attacks
    I work for an agency at a warehouse and I've been there 8 months now, they know about the anxiety and I suffer panic attacks at work as well.
    I'm thinking of taking a week or just a few days off just to get myself sorted, I know it won't take a week but I'm thinking of going back to my therapist and starting again, I'm going into work tomorrow to speak with them face to face because I don't want to lose my job and I feel like I'm not performing to the best of my abilities.. my question is, can they dismiss me for this? And will I be able to provide a sick note from the doctors?
    Cheers. Xx

Re: Some Advice about a sick note?

For the first week you can self certify. Beyond that it needs to be your GP.

I would suggest checking your contract and any company handbook for advice. If they have a HR intranet, that's worth looking through.

Being agency may complicate matters as your employment is really through them but the law applies as it's stated hence reviewing your legal cover on gov.uk and a site like the CAB would be worth doing so you know where you stand.

I think you are doing everything you can as an employee. Engaging with them, as well as them already being aware, shows your willingness to work on this. So, hopefully they can help make some workplace adjustments in the short term to help you work on yourself. A GP can also help with this by issuing guidance on the FIT note without signing you off although this is where the law is less specific as it comes down to whether such things are reasonable or possible e.g. a GP may request you do a job the company doesn't have hence that's not a reasonable request.

Sacking someone because they have a health problem is problematic for employers, they open themselves up to potential tribunals. Guidance is always to work with the employee to find a solution.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Acas is another good place to get advice from, I would think address your concerns via the agency you work them, as they have got you employment it's only when a company you are working for takes you on their books it then becomes their problem HTH ATB

Thread Information