Thread: Panic attacks and anxiety caused by noisy neighbours.

Panic attacks and anxiety caused by noisy neighbours.

Over the past year and a half i have been doing battle with my neighbours, an elderly couple who enjoy having there tv and radio up full.
    I spoke to them about it nicely just to get loads of abuse.
    I have always had a bit of a noise anxiety issue but recently its started turning into more panic attack like episode, when the noise starts up i feel like i'm boiling inside and get pins and needles and i can feel my heart racing and after that subsides a bit the nausea sets in.
    Me and my family are kind and respectful and considerate and maybe just asking too much for them to be the same, a lot of the time they have the tv at a normal level, but when watching football or certain programs its cranked right up to the point where we can hear it fully in our house.
    The problem is our living rooms are based either side of the adjoining wall so no real escape and I am on citalopram for my anxiety but when they start its theres no stopping it.
    They know fully how it effects me and even heard the lady shouting through the wall that she's not going to keep quiet because i am stressed.
    Some people just dont get how anxiety works or even believe its a real thing or how there actions effect others.
    I wish i had some better coping strategies to help me deal with this.

Re: Panic attacks and anxiety caused by noisy neighbours.

If they are really loud and abusive, you could contact the police about them disturbing the peace. If you can document the times they are loud and for how long over the period of a few days you would have a pretty good case for the police to go pay a visit.

Them being loud and abusive amounts to bullying which the police can help you with.

We went through the council to start with but they made it pretty obvious that they were installing sound equipment so they stayed quiet for a time, once we sound proofed things improved for a bit, but then started back up again.
    The council were pretty useless and I lost confidence in them after the sound monitors didnt show anything i think they thought i was making it all up.
    I have already had to contact the police on a number of occasions when the lady was shouting stuff through the walls aimed at me and setting alarm clocks while they were out the house to go off.
    Last night while watching tv i could hear theres in the back ground but trying to just block it out as much as possible as these are the sort of older people who think they can do what ever they want and dont have to answer to anyone.
    I think she relishes the fact that when i spoke the first time i mentioned about being on medication and have anxiety, now she knows she can target me.

I have a similar situation, ongoing since 2016. Noisy neighbour who knows I'm suffering social anxiety, and I feel targeted. The same as you I have no faith in my local council and feel abandoned. If it does continue try to record whatever you can, maybe on a fone - I realise this may not be possible, and is not usuable in court but at least may support your complaint.

Please don't hesitate to call the police if things really do amount to personal abuse again. I feel for you, we are living in a hell of their making which we didn't ask for or deserve.

I have a similar problem, a neighbour who plays his music in the early hours of the morning when I'm trying to sleep. I've tried talking to him but although he did turn his music off on that occasion it didn't go well.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilStewie77 View Post
    Over the past year and a half i have been doing battle with my neighbours, an elderly couple who enjoy having there tv and radio up full.
    I spoke to them about it nicely just to get loads of abuse.
    My first thought was, 'poor buggers are deaf' but there's no excuse for the abusive response..

If polite requests to turn down the volume is not only being ignored, but they are abusive towards you then you only have four options (given you've already gone down the council route)

1. Move house.

2. Put up with it.

3. Get Metallica on a playlist on BANG THAT VOLUME UP BABY! (though you might get slapped with an ASBO, so maybe not)

4. Report them to the cops.

Given on what you've written, I'd go with 4. Get everything documented. Is it legal to record them?

Thread Information