Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and cymbalta liver anxiety

Alcohol and cymbalta liver anxiety

I'm 23 years old male 160lbs fairly healthy. 10 minute mile and all that.

I suffer from generalized anxiety, social anxiety and health anxiety.

I've been on cymbalta for anxiety since senior year highschool so about 6 years.

I never touched alcohol untill I was 21, and have probably been drunk less than 10 times in my life.

But the other night I got really bad drunk like 5+ drinks.

And I'm scared to death that I have permanently damaged my liver. It's been about 3 days, I have no symptoms, except a small yellow patch above my left nipple, which might just be a bruise.

I know cymbalta is hard on the liver and I know alcohol is too. I have been taking routine blood tests since starting cymbalta, and a year or two ago I had elevated. bilirubin so I had my dosage cut back.

I also know that alcohol is hard on the liver. And this is where my panic attacks have been going on from.

My logic side tells me that when people develop liver disease it's from decades of moderate-heavy drinking, not from weekend benders in college.

That or they have some pre existing condition.

So I feel like I shouldn't worry and most likely I'm going to be fine, although I should probably cut the alcohol out from future use.

I have a doctor's appointment on Valentine's day, and I'm thinking about getting it moved up just to put my mind at ease.

I just wanted to reach out to you guys and ask what you think about my situation? Am I about to be diagnosed with a life threatening liver condition? I kinda doubt it. But my panic attacks won't let it rest.

Thanks.

Re: Alcohol and cymbalta liver anxiety

Unless each of those 5 drinks was a bottle of wine, then you'll be fine. Liver damage takes place over years, not a one off binge.

Bless you sir.

I'm not a religious man. But my panic attacks have brought me to it.

You sound like you have a bruise on your nipple you will be fine people drink all the time you sound like you have a lot of anxiety try and relax easy said than done

I mean you could damage your liver from a one off binge, but you'd have to drink a lot more than you did, and you would have left the drinking establishment in an ambulance.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I mean you could damage your liver from a one off binge, but you'd have to drink a lot more than you did, and you would have left the drinking establishment in an ambulance.

Well the only thing that scares me is the years of cymbalta I've had. And the fact I've had elevated bilirubin counts before.

I'm going to ask my doctor in acouple weeks if I can just come off of the medicine. Becuase anti anxiety medicine is making me have anxiety about the health side effects

The liver regenerates pretty quickly. At 21, 5 drinks is like a drop in the ocean. There's no way you'll have damaged your liver. Unless it was 5 bottles of absinthe, in which case you'd be blind and deaf too

You'd still have to drink a LOT more than you did to cause any damage whatsoever. 5 drinks would be a mid week drink for most people in the UK, and the liver damaging side effects of your medication are likely highly overstated.

Quote Originally Posted by wilky44 View Post
    The liver regenerates pretty quickly. At 21, 5 drinks is like a drop in the ocean. There's no way you'll have damaged your liver. Unless it was 5 bottles of absinthe, in which case you'd be blind and deaf too

Well I'm getting some age. I'm 23.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonatron5 View Post
    Well I'm getting some age. I'm 23.
    Sorry but I had to giggle a bit at that. I'm old enough to be your father

I would just cut the alcohol. What's worse, being on anxiety meds and being less anxious or recovering from hangovers?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information