Thread: X-Ray for IBS showed “possible liver enlargement” ?

X-Ray for IBS showed “possible liver enlargement” ?

I recently got an x ray because the doctor wanted to see if I had a lot of gas blockage after I explained some of the symptoms I’d been having over the last month that had been bothering me (occasional IBS attack that lasted for around an hour, lots of gassiness), they called me back today and said there was some stool and gas backup but also that they saw possible liver enlargement? They said I need to go back in to do an ultrasound because the doctor “wants a closer look”

This has made me basically explode with anxiety. I have no idea why something would be wrong with my liver, I’m 18 and don’t drink. Could this just be nothing? Any reassurance would be greatly appreciated.

Re: X-Ray for IBS showed “possible liver enlargement” ?

I'm not versed enough to give advice on the workings of the liver, however there are 2 key pieces of advice to give here.

1. Don't google because once you go down that road you'll find it hard to come back from it.

2. You are far too young to have an enlarged liver that would be caused by things that are the most common causes. Vast majority being things like alcholism, drug use, toxicity and so on. The most likely scenario for your age group is an infection of some kind. It could even just be that your liver is larger by default due to a genetic reason.

You're in the best possible hands and your doctor is chasing it up. Not much you can do except wait for them to get to the bottom of it. Worrying won't change anything, your energy is best used on something to keep your mind occupied.

Pregabalin 300mg

Quote Originally Posted by Mindprison View Post
    I'm not versed enough to give advice on the workings of the liver, however there are 2 key pieces of advice to give here.

1. Don't google because once you go down that road you'll find it hard to come back from it.

2. You are far too young to have an enlarged liver that would be caused by things that are the most common causes. Vast majority being things like alcholism, drug use, toxicity and so on. The most likely scenario for your age group is an infection of some kind. It could even just be that your liver is larger by default due to a genetic reason.

You're in the best possible hands and your doctor is chasing it up. Not much you can do except wait for them to get to the bottom of it. Worrying won't change anything, your energy is best used on something to keep your mind occupied.
    Thanks so much for the advice. Is it possible that the x-ray just wasn’t clear and the doctor just wants a closer look to make sure it’s OK? Like I may not even have anything wrong with my liver but they want to be sure? Does that ever happen, or do I certainly have an infection or something?

I can't say for sure but as far as I know an x ray is not an optimal test for liver size. The fact they said "possible enlarged liver" tells me that this is more of a precaution as they couldn't tell for sure. The test you're going for will give them a clearer view.

Pregabalin 300mg

Thread Information