Thread: Bat bite?

Bat bite?

TL;DR:

- I have dry skin sometimes which cause my hands and fingers to tear and bleed easily

- Went outside at nighttime into light drizzle, cold-ish weather to grab something heavy from mom's car and didn't see anything and didn't feel anything touch my hands or fingers (street lights were on, I didn't see anything flying)

- OP washes hands, doesn't feel anything

- 2 hours later OP feels burning sensation on index finger after washing hands & notices small round wound on finger along with peeling skin (there was a small round spot under the skin) pictures are here ----> imgur(dot)com/YsBXnFp imgur(dot)com/JgKLcYp

- I'm wondering if a small bat could have bitten me without me seeing or feeling it (could cold weather, rain have been a factor) and if the wounds on my finger look like a bat bite.

Long version:

I went outside on Saturday to grab something from my mom's car. Didn't see anything fly at me or in my peripheral vision, didn't feel anything touch or brush against me, and didn't feel anything bite me. Washed my hands, didn't feel anything. But two hours later after washing my hands a few more times I felt a burning sensation in my hand and found these wounds on my finger:

Could I have been bitten by a bat while conscious and fully mentally "there" without knowing? I know my city has little brown bats and other very small species of bats that have been known to bite without people feeling them or even making wounds other than a pin prick but shouldn't I at least have felt it brush against me or have seen it?
    Last edited by CooORY; 06-02-18 at 23:21.

Re: Bat bite?

You`ll be fine.

Omg you sound just like me. Sorry about that. But I doubt that was that, you should be fine.

I'm the same way, worrying about cracked dry skin on the back of my hand. But there's a few key things to note. First is that the only flyby bite a bat can do is on an insect. Anything bigger, like your finger, and they would have to land or crash into it. Fingers are also one of the most touch sensitive parts of the body so again you would feel it.

But, you said the weather was cold. Bats either hibernate or fly south. Even at my college in Pennsylvania there aren't any flying around because below freezing temperatures. Rain only makes it worse for them.

Lastly, you mentioned that you washed your hands several times between leaving the house and finding the mark. Washing hands removes oils in our skin and makes it easier to tear. Where on your finger did the mark appear, and which finger? If it's on any one of your knuckles then it is 99.99% dry skin.

And is it just my imagination, or is your tldr longer than your long version?

Virtually no people in the western world get rabies. And not so many in the developing world wither. In Asia and Africa there are some thousand unfortunate caseas among....2-3 billion people. Yet, the fear of this seem to be eating up many posters life here. It is sad to read. The only thing I can say is to seek help for this irrational fear or trying to convince yourself how fantastical irrational it is. That is how I got out of it.
    Think about it; you fear rabies is all over you all the time everywhere. Try to stop for a moment and imagine this from the outside. You live a normal life like everyone else and yet you believe you are falling over a one in billion type of virus several times a week or month. How come no one else do that but only you? Imagine you did not have that fear and knew someone who saw rabies threats everywhere. What would YOU think yourself? Do you see how little sense your fear makes and how much of a waste of life it is?

Quote Originally Posted by 42Falcon View Post
    I'm the same way, worrying about cracked dry skin on the back of my hand. But there's a few key things to note. First is that the only flyby bite a bat can do is on an insect. Anything bigger, like your finger, and they would have to land or crash into it. Fingers are also one of the most touch sensitive parts of the body so again you would feel it.

But, you said the weather was cold. Bats either hibernate or fly south. Even at my college in Pennsylvania there aren't any flying around because below freezing temperatures. Rain only makes it worse for them.

Lastly, you mentioned that you washed your hands several times between leaving the house and finding the mark. Washing hands removes oils in our skin and makes it easier to tear. Where on your finger did the mark appear, and which finger? If it's on any one of your knuckles then it is 99.99% dry skin.

And is it just my imagination, or is your tldr longer than your long version?
    On my index finger, right below the joint that allows the finger to bend in half

Thread Information