Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Morning anxiety

Morning anxiety

Hi all,
    My anxiety has come back with full force- mornings are horrible- I wake up anxious and sick. I can't eat, I have upset tummy.
    I've just started citalopram 6 days ago - low dose of 5mg and going to go up gradual as I'm very sensitive to ssri medication.
    How do you all cope with this- I have been here before 5/6 years ago and it was the worst time of my life. I just want to cry and go to sleep and never wake up.
    I've been reading my claire weekend book - self help for your nerves" and I no I have to accept it- but it's so hard to accept when it feels so bad....
    Help please.... x

Re: Morning anxiety

Hi

Sorry to hear you anxiety is back... recovery is not linear even after so many years. Have you taken citalopram before? I only ask as this could be a reason as to why your anxiety is still high as with all antidepressants they can increase anxiety at the start? Try to remember that you have recovered before and you will again

Hear if you want to chat

:-)

Yes I've been on them before - twice.
    Just can't believe I was such a fool and came off them again - now having to start all over again.
    I just hate this feeling of dread and sickness- like I'll never get better - I know I will and that it's just anxiety and the side effects talking , but it's awful x
    Thanks for your message- hope you are well x

Hi - I've just registered now from desperation and I am absolutely with you with the morning anxiety. I wake up and immediately my heart races, and I have the feeling of dread that I'm not going to get better and that this feeling will worsen beyond what I can cope with!
    What I have found gives me some relief is breaking the cycle of thoughts and getting myself up out of bed and getting busy. Joining this forum and going through the motions of registering just brought me down some.
    I feel very lucky right now that I have a friend not too far away who is a complete diamond, she's been through it all and assures me that what I'm feeling is normal, and will pass. Just hearing those words gives me hope and strength.
    I'm finding it very hard, I'm on day 6 and I'm sooooo tired having had 2 nights broken sleep, waking up in a panic. This doesn't help me at all! But I realise I have to just get over the hump if I'm going to tackle my lifelong anxiety.
    So we're pretty much on a parallel right now Jennifer, although I'm on 10mg initially and being reviewed a week tomorrow in view of upping the dose.
    I guess all I can offer is try and keep yourself occupied, and remember there's someone right here going through the same as you! Take care

Hi jay dee
    Sorry to hear your feeling bad to - it's the worst isn't it x
    I too have a good friend who has been through this and is giving me lots of encouragement.
    I have been on cit twice before and this time I plan to be on them forever- I forgot how bad feeling like this was.
    I'm very sensitive to this medication and so I'm currently on day 8 taking 5mg. May go up to 7.5 tonight fir a week and then up to 10mg.
    20mg has always worked really well for me it's just about gradually getting there so I can eliminate some side effects x
    Have you been on cit before?
    Yes I find getting up and keeping busy is better than lying in bed thinking about how bad I feel.
    Thank you for your response x

I was on esitalopram for 4 years. It is very similar to citalopram. I was on 20 mg which is equivalent to 40 mg citalopram ,, I came off it almost cold turkey and felt good for 2 months, then suddenly developed severe anxiety and depression. I jumped back on 10 mg for a week then upped to 20 mg. I am a month now back but still feeling bad.

You WILL get better, but it may take a little time. My morning anxiety was absolutely horrendous and it lasted right up until the evening when I would start to feel better. I often thought I'd give anything to wake up feeling like I did when I went to bed, but nope, every morning it was back again without fail. I started on 10mg citalopram and stayed on that for 3 months before realising it wasn't really doing much at all so I increased to 20mg. After a few weeks I started to feel a bit better and it got gradually better from then on. My doctor said you can truly consider yourself better when the morning anxiety no longer happens as that is the last thing to go. Keep on in there, don't give up, you will definitely get better x
    Last edited by Mojo61; 11-02-18 at 07:24.

Love your post mojo
    When you wake up and feel no anxiety it's the best feeling in the world x looking forward to getting back there again x

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer@kilden View Post
    Love your post mojo
    When you wake up and feel no anxiety it's the best feeling in the world x looking forward to getting back there again x
    Not sure if this has been said yet, but when first on Citalopram it can actually INCREASE your anxiety as you get use to it.

I too had horrible anxiety in the mornings for about the first 2 weeks while on cit. It should start to diminish over time. Stay positive!

Hi again - well lo and behold today was day 7, and I woke up only once I think through the night. Dead on 3 am... but with no anxiety?? So I settled and soon drifted back off, and woke just before the alarm at 6... but with NO ANXIETY!!!!! I couldn't believe it, and was pensive thinking that it would come on at some point, but it DIDN'T!
    I have had a great day, feeling very buoyant this morning and with only a slight edge throughout the day, sort of the feeling that if I thought too much about it I might get myself anxious, but I just got on with my day!
    My hand trembling seems to be less, and the aching I had in my legs has gone. Oh and so has the lethargy. I am amazed at the difference I feel in myself since yesterday, when I really thought I can't cope with this feeling of doom much longer, and was panicking thinking what if I get to feeling suicidal! That terrified me.
    I'm hoping for a similar outcome tomorrow morning, a good sleep and no anxiety in the morning. I take my pill at 9-10am.

I hope you're doing better Jennifer?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information