Thread: HELP! is this an allergic reaction?!

Unhappy HELP! is this an allergic reaction?!

Hi everyone,

Been back on citalopram since 22nd January so 3 weeks tomorrow.

These past 24 hours I have started to itch like crazy! I took my last cit at about 2pm yest. Last night I got myself so worked up from the itching that I convinced myself it was an allergic reaction. I went in to panic mode my heart was racing and my skin felt like it was on fire. I lay down and managed to calm myself down pretty quickly, after a while I got over to sleep.

This morning I’ve woke up and although I’m still itching it’s not as intense. My fear now however is if I take my cit today is the itching going to be worse tonight? And could I go in to anaphylactic shock?! I’m so scared. I have been on citalopram before a few years ago with no reactions, but I’ve read it is possible to take a reaction to a drug you’ve been on before :(

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks x

Re: HELP! is this an allergic reaction?!

I think the sensible thing would be to ring 111 and ask their advice, or contact a local pharmacy or out of hours doctor. Is there anything to see where the itching is at all ? Any redness, swelling, blistering or peeling?

Hi Carys

I did have hives on my wrist last night but they are gone now. I think I will give 111 a call.

Last night my face looked a bit red but it was shortly after I took my makeup off, and I did have a slight itchiness around my eyes and mouth. Before I went to sleep the redness has calmed down completely.

Thanks for your reply

HHhhmmmmmm, if there was something to see like hives, then yes you do need some advice on this.

Thanks Carys, I think sometimes with being a HA sufferer GPs can make us feel like we’re wasting everyone’s time! Hence why I always like to check if I’m over reacting lol

Its tough isn't it, as itching can happen when you are panicking or anxious.....we all know that all sorts of odd things 'can' happen, even a tingly mouth and face ...but I think if something was evident there like hives then you need to just go with your gut instinct on it. It may well be nothing, and itching isn't listed as a common, or less common side effect...but as a more rare side affect that you inform your doctor about.

That's the trouble isn't it, the knowing what is what from anxiety and what is 'real'. Then there is the problem about what is 'real' and what is 'minor real' and 'more serious real'.....I know what I mean. lol

Thread Information