Thread: Ibs?? Or something worse? Please help!

Ibs?? Or something worse? Please help!

Last year I began with health anxiety and had a really rough year through 2017 with my worries of health getting out of control. Since November I have managed to get my life back on track and have began to lead a reasonably bormal and happy life again!! I believe that my stress may have left me with damage though. For months now I have been belching form deep down in my stomach numerous times a day, nothing seems to ease it, I also have a constant sore throat and acid. I suffer from gas, a tumblr belly and pain in my left side abdomen sometimes feels just under my ribs but sometimes feels central left. It is dull and crampy sometimes dull stabbing. I also suffer terribly from diarrhoea especially of a morning, never constipation. I have never had blood in my stool, but as anyone with anxiety knows it comes naturally to anxiety sufferers to presume the worst and do not want to go downhill since I have been coping well. I will also be visiting a GP soon but until then wanted to share my sorry for peace of mind. Just looking for any similar experience, tips etc.
    Thanks
    Amy

Re: Ibs?? Or something worse? Please help!

Hi Healthworrier!

Welcome to the club So I too started getting acid reflux in my 20s during a period of stress, and since then it tends to show itself when my anxiety starts to get out of hand. I was given from my chemist (I'm in mainland Europe so not sure if there's anything similar in the UK) a product called Bianacid which is natural and not only helps to neutralise the acid but actually protects the mucus membrane too. This has always helped me but the last flare up was very bad (it lasted a couple of weeks) and I was put on differend medication Riopan (malgradate) and it subsided. I know a lot of people use Omeprazole which apparently works well.

So, definitely go to the doctors and get something to help you, also drink lots of water and I read once that cucumber (which is full of water) helps too. Mint tea works for some but it has the opposite effect on me and makes it 10 times worse.

As for the diarrhea, me too, in fact I used to get this in my 20s and then I went the opposite and always had constipation. Now I'm back to frequent diarrhea. When I tell my doctor she tells me to cut out dairy and too much fibre, and when I do, they start to harden up again. Also, very common symptom of IBS... (which I have also had for years).

Totally understand how you feel, this is also my daily battle (sigh).

Sending hugs, be well
    Sxx

Thread Information