Thread: Jaw and ear pain

Jaw and ear pain

Hi everyone, I hoping I'm posting this in the right place.

Since Saturday evening I've been having aches in my jaw. It originally started in the left side of my face and has now moved into both sides.

It's not a stabbing pain but more a dull ache/throbbing located just below my earlobes that sometimes radiates behind my ears, as well as giving me mild headaches in the back of the head every now and then. I've also been getting tension and aches in my neck.

A friend of mine said it sounds like it could be TMJ - is that possible? Being on here I'm obviously fearing the worst and thinking it's something super serious, so looking for some reassurance.

I can't get in to see my doctor for another 2 weeks, so hoping it goes soon or finding ways to relieve it. Any help of tips would be very welcomed

Re: Jaw and ear pain

I suffer from TMJD directly because of my stress and Anxiety and I know that there are quite a few other people here that suffer from it too. Personally, it affected my ears particularly badly, however I have always had sensitive ears.

I went into the dentist and they took one look at my mouth and told me I had it, apparently it was that easy to notice

I can’t diagnose you, but it is a pretty common byproduct of anxiety and can cause many upper body symptoms.

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

So would you recommend going to a dentist instead of a doctor as my first port of call then?

Do you have any tips on how to relieve the discomfort? I've bought myself a night mouth guard today to see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by r2183 View Post
    Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

So would you recommend going to a dentist instead of a doctor as my first port of call then?

Do you have any tips on how to relieve the discomfort? I've bought myself a night mouth guard today to see if that helps.
    Whichever is quickest, I suppose. I just happened to get mine diagnosed during a regular check up.

My dentist provided me with a mouth guard, but it wasn’t exactly the highest quality and I stopped using it after a few months. Guards are primarily to protect your teeth which are obviously at risk when you’re grinding, rather than stopping the grinding (bruxism) itself.

Progressive muscle relaxation and other techniques will be more effective in stopping the tension. I know there are a few jaw related exercises that I did often when mine was particularly bad.

Thread Information