Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am i at risk of rabies?

Re: Am i at risk of rabies?

Well, yeah, where IS the bat......checked your room ?

(by the way, they don't like people and noise, so wouldn't just be in your standard family home attic.)

good point, I'm sorry for being so silly. I just cannot get it out of my head.

Well, its time to now get it out of your head......because this is honestly in the realms of fantasy. Unless you slept walked your way to a cave in . However, IF you do find a bat in your room let your local bat group know - they will be excited, delighted and come an identify it for you! Embrace the bats around you, they are part of a healthy environment and are the most fascinating creatures.

Oh lookey, I found this info for you....basically what I said earlier....

I've read lots of stories on the internet about bats flying into bedrooms at night and biting peole. Should I be worried? A lot of the information found on the internet on this subject relates to bats in other parts of the world where things are very different either in terms of the species of bats present (e.g. vampire bats that are only found in central and south America) or the diseases that bats in very different parts of the world may carry.
    In the UK all of our bats only feed on insects, they are also very shy creatures and therefore have no interest in humans, in fact where possible they will avoid contact such as roosting in parts of a building that are undisturbed and away from people. Occasionally bats do fly in through open windows but only by accident and if this happens they will try and find their way back out again. This means that they will fly around the room looking for that open window. If, after a while they cannot find their way back out they will tire themselves out and settle somewhere to rest temporarily. This will be somewhere hidden away like behind a curtain or a picture frame, so they feel secure.
    Last edited by Carys; 16-02-18 at 21:25.

I've just found two tiny risen spots about a centimeter apart on my neck. does this sound like a bat bite or do the puncture wounds not rise into pimple like spots?

Found the bat yet ?

No, they would not be raised spots. They would look like puncture wounds.

You need to go back and read this thread now, the reassurance that has been stated. Read it many times, and repeat some of those things to yourself. ONE bat with rabies found in the UK in 2017 and that was just found lying dead, it wasn't launching itself at people and vampire like heading for their necks !!! FOr all intents and purposes rabies doesn't exist in our bat populations here.
    Last edited by Carys; 16-02-18 at 23:06.

I can imagine people being so scare of rabies....I mean it is understandable if someone is concerned in India with its massive stray dog population. But in the UK where rabies does not even exist?
    Save your worries to you need them I say!

Unhappy Re: Am i at risk of rabies?

Please someone reply! I was starting to feel a lot better about my rabies fear until I found what looks Exactly like bat droppings on the floor around my room ! ( I googled pictures) what should I do? Do I need to be worried? Could they have mice droppings? Thanks

Of course they could be mice droppings and 99.9999999% are !

Here is the point....have you found the bat in your room yet ? Have you looked for it and checked everywhere it could roost? HOW would it have gotten in and back out ?

Even if one did somehow fly round your room and disappear againg, you are in the UK where rabies isn't a problem.
    Last edited by Carys; 18-02-18 at 13:02.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information