Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Esophageal Cancer From Reflux - Very Worried

Esophageal Cancer From Reflux - Very Worried

Well, I think this may legitimately be the time I have cancer.

A few days ago I had some pain when swallowing. I have also been belching a bit more over the last few weeks. Again this morning it felt weird swallowing like things were moving slow through my esophagus.

I am fairly convinced I have esophageal cancer, probably from undiagnosed chronic reflux. I'm terribly afraid. I was no expecting this at all and it is not anxiety related.

I am even more scared because several years ago I had chronic wheezing at night on most nights. Now I realize that was probably reflux which has gone untreated for years, probably developed into Barret's esophagus, and now has progressed to cancer.

I am despondent. I am extremely depressed about this as I was generally doing OK as far as health anxiety goes until this.

---------- Post added at 09:06 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

To add, I can’t really say I’ve had any obvious signs of reflux in a couple of years. But, maybe I’ve been having silent reflux for years and it’s progressed into cancer?

Re: Esophageal Cancer From Reflux - Very Worried

Hey, I've also got this worry at the moment, it's making me feel so down and scared. I've had reflux for years and now have got a stinging pain on one side of my throat/esophagus when I swallow certain foods. I've also got chest pressure and a sore/strained voice when I talk. Also lots of burping.

All I can say is that I have had some of these symptoms before a few years ago plus the wheezing you mentioned and they all went away in time. I just hope that happens again. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry I can't offer much reassurance but you're definitely not the only one going through this worry!

Would esophageal cancer cause pain every time you swallow? I didn’t really notice any pain yesterday during lunch or dinner. Didn’t cross my mind.

---------- Post added at 09:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

I’m 31. I haven’t had any reflux symptoms that I know of in 2 years or so.

I'm not sure, I would think if it was cancer it would be pain every time you swallow and getting worse and not just pain sometimes. What kind of pain is it when you swallow? Mines like a stinging burning pain which only lasts a couple of seconds. I'm trying to tell myself that I've just got an irritated/inflamed patch in my esophagus from the reflux and that's what I can feel. But my HA mind is trying to tell me otherwise!

This morning it was kind of the feeling of something moving slow through esophagus, kind of like when you’re eating a peanut butter sandwich and you have that feeling.

---------- Post added at 09:31 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

I am so depressed about this. I don’t have another explanation for this really.

Guess the melanona/oral/"insert random cancer" cleared up then? You're a walking miracle!

I should probably demand an endoscopy. I noticed I was belching more a few weeks ago. This is cancer in my esophagus.

It would be nice if you updated all your other "Cancer" posts with what happened.

You are walking miracle really as you have had loads of different cancers over many years.

What are you doing to get on top of the anxiety?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Esophageal cancer at 31? Nah. It's incredibly rare at that age. It's a rare cancer full stop. Cases are increasing in line with the rising rate of reflux disease and obesity. but it's still not common. In young people, it's almost unheard of. It generally takes decades of untreated, chronic reflux. Even then, most people with reflux don't get esophageal cancer. Most people with Barrett's Esophagus don't get cancer. It just increases your risk.

It's a very aggressive form of cancer that takes hold very quickly. People with esophageal cancer tend to suddenly find they literally can't get food down. Your esophagus essentially stops working.

Your trouble sounds like reflux. Perhaps you have a bit of esophagitis or, at worst, a hiatal hernia. You do have a condition worth seeing the doctor about, but demanding an endoscopy is a stretch. Have one if the doctor thinks you need one. The doctor will almost certainly want to see if a PPI has any impact before sending you for one, though.

I've just been through the whole thing myself and I'm doing alright now.

Ah so the melanoma of the 26/1/2018 cleared up then? I have kept that thread subscribed to as was seeing if you came back to update after making lots of replies on it.

WHY do you instantly jump to cancer on everything? WHY? There are 101 benign reason for everything, yet you pick the most unlikely scenario every single time. Luckily doctors don't work on that premise, otherwise they'd be saying to everyone in surgery 'it sounds like cancer you know'. They work from logical and likely benign explanations FIRST. Honestly, after SO many times of you saying you've had cancer and it not being cancer, even you now MUST see that you've been wrong every single time.

I can’t really say I’ve had any obvious signs of reflux in a couple of years. But, maybe I’ve been having silent reflux for years and it’s progressed into cancer?
    Sorry ? So basically you've not even felt heartburn for the last few years, but are convinced this is cancer? This is SO illogical it needs pointing out.

Well, I think this may legitimately be the time I have cancer.
    Sorry, but what a silly thing to say. Really. I am not usually someone who loses their cool with people with HA, as I know how troubling and difficult it is to beat, however, how long are you going to go on fearing cancer and wasting your life on the worry...until at 70+ you get cancer ? (I just picked a number there by the way)
    Last edited by Carys; 17-02-18 at 18:31.

Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information