Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to stop checking stools vigorously? OCD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to stop checking stools vigorously? OCD

I have been having a hard time to stop checking my stools I check them at work, at home and at friends houses. It’s on my mind 24/7 then my mind focuses on me having melanoma on my foot. It’s a vicious cycle that I am in and I’ve just been getting so tired of it. How do I stop checking and live my life and be happy. I’m 22 people my age are out living their lives while I stay home and obesess over my body and stools. Can anyone give me tips on how to stop checking ?

Re: How to stop checking stools vigorously? OCD

Quote Originally Posted by Alba95 View Post
    I have been having a hard time to stop checking my stools I check them at work, at home and at friends houses. It’s on my mind 24/7 then my mind focuses on me having melanoma on my foot. It’s a vicious cycle that I am in and I’ve just been getting so tired of it. How do I stop checking and live my life and be happy. I’m 22 people my age are out living their lives while I stay home and obesess over my body and stools. Can anyone give me tips on how to stop checking ?
    Reach around and flush before you get up

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Exactly what Fishmanpa said. You just have to stop, it's up to you

Quote Originally Posted by Phuzella View Post
    Exactly what Fishmanpa said. You just have to stop, it's up to you
    Unfortunately it's not that easy! My therapist doesn't recommend just stopping completely but trying to cut down gradually.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    Unfortunately it's not that easy! My therapist doesn't recommend just stopping completely but trying to cut down gradually.
    I think your therapist is wrong.

Flush, walk away.

You're not coming off heroin.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I think your therapist is wrong.

Flush, walk away.

You're not coming off heroin.
    Yes I agree. How do you do this gradually anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Yes I agree. How do you do this gradually anyway?
    Cut down, maybe check every second day and gradually decrease the amount of times you check. I was told that stopping completely can cause increased anxiety. It's an ocd behaviour which is closely linked to health anxiety.

I'm definitely not as bad as I was but unfortunately i'm still struggling with the anxiety. My daughter has severe ocd and my therapist told me that you wouldn't ask anyone with ocd to suddenly stop checking windows, washing hands etc but would ask them to cut back on the amount of times. This is just the same.

When I posted on here last year about stopping checking I was advised by a number of people to lessen the amount of times I checked.

I think if you have been investigated for bowel problems and all is ok then you have to "flush and go"-no exceptions. How can you choose which bowel movement to check and which one to flush immediately?
    I think you would feel liberated by going cold turkey on this. It would be hell to begin with but think of the distress you are experiencing now? How long does your therapist expect this cutting down process will take?

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    I'm definitely not as bad as I was but unfortunately i'm still struggling with the anxiety. My daughter has severe ocd and my therapist told me that you wouldn't ask anyone with ocd to suddenly stop checking windows, washing hands etc but would ask them to cut back on the amount of times. This is just the same.

When I posted on here last year about stopping checking I was advised by a number of people to lessen the amount of times I checked.
    It's part of CBT, the ERP component. Based on Pavlovian Extinction. You learn to tolerate the anxiety.

The old methods like stopping completely/confronting the worst fear, known as "flooding", aren't as successful.

NICE & the NHS will use ERP because it's based on clinical evidence.

If you can stop cold turkey, great, but many can't. I couldn't. Some things that don't bother you as much, you may just stop, but something that is massive to you can be too overwhelming therefore you work on smaller goals to get to the end result.

And they need to get to the root of the anxiety. It's not flushing, it's the core belief stuff underneath, but removing compulsions will start giving back more power over your choices.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information