Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to stop checking stools vigorously? OCD

Re: How to stop checking stools vigorously? OCD

I honestly do sometimes think "ok, i'm done with this" but something's stopping me from getting past this. I think because i've lived all my life with anxiety that I don't how else to be.

I have a lot of "magical thinking" and I have a lot of safety behaviours. I know logically that doing this or that won't stop bad things happening but that's not enough to stop me. I work on checkouts in asda and lately i've been refusing to go on checkout 13! I've explained to some of my colleagues why I can't but i'm sure they think i'm crazy. I also salute a single magpie if I see one, think i'm finally losing the plot!

I'm sorry that you and your daughter both suffer from ocd, its a nightmare. You always seem very level headed when you post, I admire you for that.

How about getting one of those toilet blue discs for your cistern at home?

That way you will not be able to check for at least part of the day.

Make it an agreement with yourself, while at home wipe, flush and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Elen View Post

I could try that but I think I would still be able to see the contents of the toilet. It's the wiping part that stresses me the most as I obviously have to check the tp.

I'm also stressing about frequency too, this morning i've been three times and my anxiety is pretty high, the more anxious I become the more I focus on my bowels, the more I need to go. Before this all started I barely paid attention to my bm's even though i've had ibs for over 28 years. The fact that i'm 51 plays on my mind and to me its like a definite that i'm going to get cancer of some sort. I'm mentally drained with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elen View Post

That's a great idea. The wife and use them. It helps keep things clean too. The only negative is it might encourage some to physically examine as you can't see much due to the color.

The other thing is what I said earlier.... A "courtesy flush". Before you get up, reach around and flush. You'll still be able to see what's on the paper but it's better than nothing.

Positive thoughts and poo threads
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    I could try that but I think I would still be able to see the contents of the toilet. It's the wiping part that stresses me the most as I obviously have to check the tp.

I'm also stressing about frequency too, this morning i've been three times and my anxiety is pretty high, the more anxious I become the more I focus on my bowels, the more I need to go. Before this all started I barely paid attention to my bm's even though i've had ibs for over 28 years. The fact that i'm 51 plays on my mind and to me its like a definite that i'm going to get cancer of some sort. I'm mentally drained with all of this.
    Why are you definitely going to get cancer though?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    That's a great idea. The wife and use them. It helps keep things clean too. The only negative is it might encourage some to physically examine as you can't see much due to the color.

The other thing is what I said earlier.... A "courtesy flush". Before you get up, reach around and flush. You'll still be able to see what's on the paper but it's better than nothing.

Positive thoughts and poo threads
    Tbh looking at the paper is what causes me the most anxiety!

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Why are you definitely going to get cancer though?
    I don't know why I think this but I just feel that I wont be lucky enough not to get it. Nothing really makes any sense anymore. I'm a pessimist, my dad always used to say that to me.i've never been one of these people that think "it'll never happen to me" I feel sure that it will.

Maybe try and aim for something in between those 2 extremes? You probably feel that cancer will get you sooner or later though? You won't escape because you know it is inevitable? Do you have any hereditary factors re cancer of any type? Is it BC you fear the most?

Maybe try and aim for something in between those 2 extremes? You probably feel that cancer will get you sooner or later though? You won't escape because you know it is inevitable? Do you have any hereditary factors re cancer of any type? Is it BC you fear the most?
    Not sure what you mean aiming for something in between the 2 extremes. Yeah I do think I will get cancer of some kind just because 1 in 2 people will get cancer in their lifetime. My aunt on my dad's side died of breast cancer and my uncle on my mum's side died of lung cancer at rhe age of 32. He was a heavy smoker and drinker. Other than that I don't know of any others.

I have had spells of worrying about other cancers but bc keeps coming back up, this is the third time in 14 years that i've been convinced that I have bc. Because I have ibs it makes me worry when it plays up, and it plays up when i'm stressed and anxious.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    Not sure what you mean aiming for something in between the 2 extremes. Yeah I do think I will get cancer of some kind just because 1 in 2 people will get cancer in their lifetime. My aunt on my dad's side died of breast cancer and my uncle on my mum's side died of lung cancer at rhe age of 32. He was a heavy smoker and drinker. Other than that I don't know of any others.

I have had spells of worrying about other cancers but bc keeps coming back up, this is the third time in 14 years that i've been convinced that I have bc. Because I have ibs it makes me worry when it plays up, and it plays up when i'm stressed and anxious.
    I meant acknowledging that you could get cancer but then again you might not and it's certainly not inevitable. With the scrutiny we put ourselves under we are going to pick up on any potential red flag symptoms straightaway so give ourselves the best possible chance of a cure.

I meant acknowledging that you could get cancer but then again you might not and it's certainly not inevitable. With the scrutiny we put ourselves under we are going to pick up on any potential red flag symptoms straightaway so give ourselves the best possible chance of a cure.
    It just seems inevitable, i'm not a very lucky person so I feel that it's my fate. My phobia of drs is a problem though, i'd have to be having a pretty major symptom to force me to go to the doctor. Also a lot of cancers have very subtle symptoms that might go unnoticed.

I'm terrified of my body, I can't get away from that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information