Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post natal depression

Re: Post natal depression

Question for the mums on here. Could this be a phase due to all the hormonal changes on top of someone with existing mental health issues and the overwhelming of sudden responsibility?

I realise PPD is a real possibility but just wondering if this may pass as this is all very new right now?

Katie, this is about what you are both going through and I'm sure your bloke has plenty of worries & concerns too about himself which is only natural. So, talking to each other is vital as you need support. You've got many years to be everything to everyone all the time, it's not a failure to need some support right now and you've just had a major op that can surely mess your body about for months? (one for the mums again).

As far as the thoughts go, if you find yourself having intrusive thoughts that involve harm then please don't suffer in silence because these are also commonly known of in OCD sufferers as well as depression sufferers as well as PPD. You don't have to talk about anything you don't want to on here but there are professional resources that explain all about this and how they know all about it so can help you with them. I may be way off with this but just want to reassure you, we see it on the OCD board at times and you won't be judged.

Please get some support. I bet the first thing any doctor is going to say is "this is quite common..." as we've moved on from the old days when it was disputed as real.

This is an international resource that I think is really informative:

http://www.postpartum.net/

Katie, hang in there. You are a great mother and are doing a wonderful job.

Recovering from a major op at the same time as caring for a newborn with the resulting sleep deprivation makes you very vulnerable, Katie. It makes any new mum very vulnerable regardless of mental health "history".. These feelings could well pass but I do think you should talk about how low you are to your GP or health visitor and get as much support as you can from family and friends?

Thankyou guys for the responses really appreciate it. I know some of my feelings are probably quite common, some of them not so much and I know I shouldn't be ashamed but I am, I always thought I would take to bring a mum so easily, I think the pregnancy really took its toll on my body(I was huge) and was living of 1 to 2 hours sleep per night and in a lot of pain. Then the labour was 4 days of hell and looking back now I can see that I needed to recover mentally and physically from what happened.

I'm not sure what qualifies as intrusive thoughts but I am constantly worrying about her(no surprise with my history of health anxiety). I never have thoughts of harming her, all my thoughts are about running away, or sometimes regretting I even had her. I feel so awful admitting that. And when I'm calm like now I know that's completely untrue, but it doesn't take much for me to get down or in a state again. I don't think this is self harm, but the other night I scratched my arm so badly that it bled and left marks, I sort of new I was doing it as I felt the pain but just had so much built up emotions I had to get it out, and i guess that's how.

My health visitor isn't due out for another two weeks but my partner said to give her a call tomorrow and explain how I'm feeling. He keeps telling me what a good job I'm doing but it's so hard to believe that. She seems to settle with him so much more, she cries all day for me no matter how I comfort her. I'm hoping when I address her sickness at the doctor's they can give me some advice and that will help.

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by swgrl09 View Post
    This is an international resource that I think is really informative:

http://www.postpartum.net/

Katie, hang in there. You are a great mother and are doing a wonderful job.
    Thankyou X

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Re the self harm part, I mean I didn't intend to harm myself but i guess it could be the start of something I won't take any chances and will definitely tell my GP everything.
    Most humans are never fully present in the now, because unconsciously they believe that the next moment must be more important than this one. But then you miss your whole life, which is never not now.
    And that's a revelation for some people: to realize that your life is only ever now. -Eckhart Tolle

I'm sure your Health Visitor will tell your GP about how you are feeling. It's much better to address this now rather than wait and talking about it to people who are trained to pick up on PND may be a relief?

You are doing the right thing, Katie. Don't leave this xx

I agree, you definitely are doing the right thing and I'm so glad you feel comfortable talking about it here. It's hard to not feel guilty about it, but truly this is not something you are doing on purpose or feeling on purpose. It can and will get better ... you just might need a little help.

You are going through such a huge thing and on top of it all you’re exhausted. I understand your feelings, they are more common than you may think.

The good thing is that there is so much help for PND. I would ring your health visitor tomorrow, or even your GP.
    I would also reach out to your family, I’m sure they would be so happy to help you. Even if it’s just to come & cuddle the baby while you have a shower.

Do you belong to any parenting forums? Or even Mum & baby groups?

It’s a long recovery process & also a lonely time to be feeling so overwhelmed. You are doing the right thing by talking to us and asking for help. You are already a brilliant Mum, and I’m sure with the right help you’ll feel better soon. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can be a lonely business having a new baby even if you have plenty of support. You have to adjust overnight to being responsible for a tiny vulnerable human being and you are very much out of your comfort zone. It's very early days for you as a new Mum, Katie-so much to get used to, new routines, you're meant to be over the moon but you're just knackered and want some time to yourself just to feel normal etc etc. And sometimes things can seem a lot darker-that's why it's so important to speak out about this. No one is going to judge you- they will want to help you enjoy being a new Mum xx

I spoke with my HV and she was glad I called, she addressed some my concerns about baby and is going to do weekly visits, she also had me fill out a form re how I'm feeling. I don't belong to any groups but she recommended some local ones for me.

I've had a really bad couple of days with baby, she just is not settling at all and awake all day either screaming or very restless kicking her legs frantically and writhing around. I've tried everything, she seems to settle better for her dad and thats hard for me to handle, I'm thinking because of my section he did most of her feeds/changes at first that she has 'taken' to him more than me, I don't feel like her mum as she should be comforted by me. I really do try everything with her and it's making me so sad.

Today I have had to again walk away from her and leave her to cry for a good 20 minutes before returning as I can't handle it. On top of this I've just lost a family member and am trying to process this.

I know i sound so pessimistic but it's how I feel right now, I'm counting down the minutes until my partner is home so i can completely escape from her
    Most humans are never fully present in the now, because unconsciously they believe that the next moment must be more important than this one. But then you miss your whole life, which is never not now.
    And that's a revelation for some people: to realize that your life is only ever now. -Eckhart Tolle

How are you feeling? Any feedback from the HV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information