Thread: This time it's definitely oral cancer

This time it's definitely oral cancer

Hello, haven't posted here in a while since I haven't had many health related problems to flare up my hypochondria but things have changed over the past two weeks. I'm a 22 year old fairly healthy male.

A few weeks ago I suddenly got really painful ulcers under my tongue. On and under the "flap" that's under your tongue that made eating, speaking and generally moving my tongue really hard. Then I got one more extremely painful ulcer behind lower lip, but this one didn't look like an ulcer, more like a white crater. So I had around 5 ulcers simultaneously.

As the ulcers healed pretty well after using some medicinal gel on them for a week, a new problem arose. The left side of my tongue started hurting. It hurts to touch and I can feel it get chafed on my teeth just by having my mouth closed. Upon closer inspection in front of the mirror I noticed the sides of my tongue have become sort of "ribbed" and whitened.

At this point I'm definitely 100% convinced it's oral cancer. The rational part of me tells me to wait at least a few days but the hypochondriac part of me wants to rush to the hospital to get it checked out. Reading about oral cancer survival rates also hasn't done me any favors and already caused me a few sleepless nights.

Re: This time it's definitely oral cancer

Quote Originally Posted by BrotatoChip View Post
    I'm a 22 year old fairly healthy male.

As the ulcers healed pretty well after using some medicinal gel on them for a week, a new problem arose. The left side of my tongue started hurting. It hurts to touch and I can feel it get chafed on my teeth just by having my mouth closed.
    Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

I'm an oral cancer survivor. That's not how it presents. I would see your dentist as it sounds like your teeth are causing the issue on your tongue.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

"This time doesn't have to be oral cancer"

Sounds like your teeth rubbing to me. Go and see a dentist and get them to look at it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

It's more the appearance of my tongue that's concerning me. The lateral sides are whitened and as I said, sort of ribbed.

If problems persist I'll see a dentist/mouth hygienist/doctor next week.

white tongue - Normal build up of debris, bacteria and dead cells getting lodged between the enlarged and sometimes inflamed papillae.

give your tongue a brush as well as your teeth!

Ribbed Tongue - you google and get cancer.... I google and get this..

A variety of oral symptoms may originate from high levels of stress or anxiety These include jaw pain teeth grinding, and pressing your tongue against your teeth. Over a long period of time, pressing your tongue against your teeth can leave indentations.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Tooth clenching, very clearly causes 'ribbing' and whiteish lines down the sides of the tongue. I know I've had it.

Edited to add -

Oh just read the post above, yes, my tongue when tense is pressed hard to the roof of my mouth and into my teeth, and gives the appearance exactly as the OP described.

It sounds like geographic tounge to me. Its very normal and totally benign.

Thread Information