Page 313 of 689 FirstFirst ... 213263303311312313314315323363413 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,130 of 6887

Thread: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Re: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Let it all hang out?

It already is Pulisa

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Despite my HUGE progress I found myself having a panic attack yesterday which as you know is horrible and very uncomfortable. I'm unaware of the trigger and could probably list a few things but I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to syphon through the causes because it could lead to avoidance. Avoidance of foods, tasks, places, even thoughts. My best thought was to get back to normal as quickly as possible and that's what I did.
    Probably the wisest thing Carnation.

Sometimes attempting to drill down to the causes/triggers can be more of a hindrance, which in turn can lead to self-fulfilling prophecies and on occasions, even psychosomatism.

Congrats to you for deciding to just shut your concerns away into the cupboard (metaphorically speaking) and instead trying to do positive activities like going for a stroll in the fresh air in order to help take your mind off what's troubling you right now.

Thank you Lencoboy.

Remember the woman that I visited and purchased her piano music? Well, a few days ago she called me and asked me if I was able to help her 90 something friend with some advice about clearing some stuff she wanted rid of. Whether it should go to a charity shop or whether she could sell some of it. "Oh my", I thought. "This is a tall order from me, but how can I say "No" to a 90 something and her friend with terminal cancer that obviously are desperate for help. So I said," Yes".
    After a very anxious morning yesterday I went along to meet her and the friend at her place not knowing what to expect or how I'd react. We couldn't park so that wasn't a great start and eventually I stood in the street watching Mr C shunting the car back and forth into a tiny space we spotted in the corner of the road and off I went not really knowing what I was going to say or do.
    Cut a long story short as I was there for nearly 2 hours!!! The lady was absolutely lovely and she was overwhelmed with her attempt at sorting out her things, I could only be thorough and divide her things into charity, keep or sell and gave her an idea of what to do. The lady was obviously appreciative and actually wanted to give me money, bless her. I embarrassingly refused and suddenly realised what a great job I was doing and had no idea how long I had been there as I was determined not to look at my watch (possible trigger). When I left I was amazed I'd been there for nearly 2 hours. And I'm also amazed I coped. So does helping someone help to push anxiety to one side? Because if that was me in my own home I could quite well find it overwhelming and need a break or two. It's an interesting thought, probably not to shine too much of a light on the situation.
    I'm going back to the lady sometime next week to pack up her charity shop pile and take it away as I couldn't really refuse to. It shouldn't take too long. I said I would leave it a few days so she had time to get accustomed to the decision that was made jointly after a lot of umming and are ING. But I was totally done in when I got home. Absolutely exhausted. It must have taken all my strength to get through that visit. I rewarded myself with a hearty roast dinner which I just about found the strength to cook and watched a film as I snoozed in and out and ended up missing most of it.
    Last edited by Carnation; 11-10-21 at 18:45.

That is absolutely brilliant Carnation! You did incredibly well and totally deserved your roast dinner and a snooze.

I must admit I find it so much easier to help others than to help myself.

Thanks catkins. We have to learn to apply the same dedication to ourselves. A reward definitely helps.

I've finally got used to the newly placed bin.
    It's taken 3 weeks at between 10-12 times a day which is roughly 200 times!
    It also tells me how difficult it is to get rid of a memory that you need to change and how perseverance is needed to change some of those unwanted thoughts. Time is obviously the essence. Re-routing our actions and responses and allowing the brain to take in the new information we give it. So keep going and eventually you will change your perception of what might be fearful.

I've had such a busy week of my own making.
    All but yesterday, (day of rest), I've been out every day for the last week.
    From visiting people, travelling to other towns and villages, shopping, walking, meeting new people (yes, I'm chatting with total strangers ). It's been quite enjoyable but exhausting, hence my day of rest yesterday.
    How was my anxiety? Well, apart from a shop that was so cluttered that I practically knocked everything over and had my hands at the ready and a queue waiting for fish 'n' chips, I was pretty much ok. Those two were like a "try and hold it together" thought, which fortunately I did. Enclosed spaces and waiting have always been an issue with me for as long as I can remember,so I'm not going to let that be a deterrent for me.
    I'm trying to get a balanced day and to quote a Buddha quotation, each day should contain the following...
    A walk, a meal (or more in my case), work, rest, a challenge, some reading and listening to music, some silence/meditation. I particularly like "Do something every day that is scary became in time your fear will grow less and less over time".
    I also think most people have the concept of meditation consisting of sitting with eyes closed and as much as they try, emptying their head of any thoughts.
    But it can be as simple as just taking moments to pause wherever you are, whatever you are doing and being aware of your surroundings and paying attention to everything you see, smell and hear and that alone acts as being in the present and helps to clear unwanted overthinking and if you take time to look up at the sky and stretch out your arms, it is a reminder that you are living being and not a being that may feel caged by their thoughts that have no real meaning at all. You can choose what to believe and those scary thoughts are not in the present and not a representative of reality. So choose to be alive in the present!

I totally agree with you.

Every morning when I'm out with dog I do that thing - five things I can see, 4 I can hear etc and it really helps start my day well. Also I try and pause a couple of times during the day and do a few stomach breaths and kind of check in of where I am mentally. I think it all helps!

Page 313 of 689 FirstFirst ... 213263303311312313314315323363413 ... LastLast

Thread Information