Page 122 of 685 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172222622 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 6850

Thread: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Re: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Thank you Darksky
    Well I've lived through this evening with no repercussions.
    I did what I tell other people not to do and according to the info I could have anything from a cracked rib to cancer.
    And that's exactly why we should not be let loose in Google.
    At 11pm I was following exercise instructions online to see if it was inflammation and Mr C just thought I was doing yoga.
    I'm much calmer now, but when in the street in town I felt very vulnerable and on show.
    It could well be muscular, so may either ditch wearing a bra or just not laugh uncontrollably.
    Probably my body went in to shock because of not used to laughing and being happy.

Not surprised you went to Dr. Google. How can we NOT do that, especially when we have health anxiety!?!? Isn't that what Dr. Google is there for!?!?!

Meditation: it's been one of my primary focuses the past two weeks because the last time I saw my hypnotherapist he told me it would benefit me greatly and gave me "homework" and lessons to follow to learn to meditate. I can't keep my mind from wandering, and he says that's normal, but that I have to keep doing it and that it WILL start to happen where I will have absolutely no thoughts as long as I keep trying to gently push them aside. I've heard it can take up to 8 weeks of daily practice, so I try to practice a few times a day. Sometimes it's only 5 minutes, other times I do 12 or 15 minutes. And yes, he also recommended that I spend as much time in nature as possible, soaking up those vibrational energies, and walking barefoot whenever possible.

I've always loved nature and being barefoot so that's one homework assignment I'll gladly follow.

Hoping you don't feel any pain tomorrow.... let us know. Perhaps we can tell you jokes until you laugh again to try and recreate it? LOL
    Sue

Thank you Sue, I had a reasonable night's sleep and still in the land of the living.
    Just remembered that I had this sharp stitch pain before.
    Once when cleaning the kitchen floor on my hands and knees stretching so as to not touch the bits I've already done. Yes, I can hear you saying, "what?"
    Another time when I twisted around on my chair to put my coat on the back of it and got caught in a painful spasm and then did it again to make doubly sure.
    And another time when I was reaching for something on the back seat of the car for something while still having the seat belt on sitting in the front of the car.
    I also keep forgetting I'm no young woman anymore and the day before I had a mad vigorous session in the garden pruning shrubs that tower 6ft and 8th above my head.
    Although the shears with the extension handles allow me to reach, they take a good bit of pumping action to snip those stubborn branches.
    Being the sort of person that has to do everything herself and her way, may have resulted in a little muscle damage. So next time I will let Mr C do it and just cringe that I'm not. Sometimes it's just not worth the pain.

I too love the bare feet feeling and often let my feet feel the grass through my toes on a sunny day.
    But as you know, I'm prone to the odd insect bite and sting, so have to be careful.
    The sand on the beach is also another good one and excellent for a foot scrub.
    I have regular foot soaks and the feeling is amazing afterwards.
    We tend to neglect our feet and they are a very important part of our body.
    For one thing, think of the weight they carry around, but also the nerves and pressure points that connect to the rest of our body.
    I've been meaning for some time to take up 'Tai Chi' and now I have a garden which is very private I have no excuse.
    The benefits to 'Tai Chi' are tremendous for the body and mind and you could go as far as saying that it's a form of meditation too. I call it meditation with physical benefits.
    So when it eventually stops raining in the UK, I'll be out there doing my thing in the garden and hopefully the flying nasties will keep away and realise I'm not a threat.

So what are you using as a focus when you meditate Sue? I jump from one thing to another which is not good. The only thing I will not do is the breathing thing. I find with me focussing on breathing leads to manual breathing, which is a nightmare.

Glad you survived the night Mrs.C. I had a feeling you would. I'm still thinking muscular since when you had it before you were doing physical stuff and twisting. You're right we are not spring chickens anymore. I have tennis elbow which I just can't shift and this rib thing, although I have a feeling I've not broken it this time, it's more like deep tissue damage. I've ditched the underwired bras and taken to sports bras, much more comfortable.

Ghost…Spillways

Carnation, that is EXACTLY why my hypnotherapist wants me to walk barefoot for 30 minutes a day whenever possible..... working the pressure points that connect to all the other parts of our body! He said it won't work as well on concrete or blacktop - we need the uneven-ness of ground and dirt to put pressure on all the different parts of our feet. I told him I thought you had to have those pressure points massaged by someone who knows which part of the foot leads to which part of the body, but he said walking barefoot as much as possible on the grass would eventually work all the parts. Neat concept.

Darsky: I don't have my hypnotherapist's handwritten meditation suggestions in front of me, but I know that the first few steps were:
    Start by placing a candle, at eye level (which means you'll probably have to place it on a stack of books or something), sit comfortable, and stare at the base of the flame for five minutes while saying (out loud or internally) the word "sun". Just stare at the candle and chant "sun" for 5 minutes. Yes, your mind will wander, but you gently nudge the thoughts out, agree to think about them later, and go back to the candle and "sun".

Each day, add one minute, doing the same thing. Then there were different instructions for when I get to 12 minutes a day but right now I'm still doing the candle and "sun" whenever I can find the time. He also said to relax if I can't find the whole time in one session, once we learn to meditate we can do it in 5 or 10 minute increments, but first we have to train our brain and learn how to do it and it takes practice.

I told him that some of the opportunities I have to meditate won't be convenient to light a candle and sit at the table, so I found an app on my phone of a flickering candle. He said that was fine to use, focus on the flame on the phone and chant "sun". Then I told him that I seemed to do better with my eyes closed instead of looking at a candle, and he said that's fine, find what works for YOU.

I, too, will NOT do the "focus on your breathing" thing! That's the first thing I adamantly told him when we started this discussion. Been there, done that, hate it. Doesn't work for me, just annoys me and bores me.

So far I'm doing a LITTLE better with pushing thoughts out of my mind and going back to the "sun" and I am finding that's starting to spill into my normal day, where I have three or four things coming at me at once. NOW I push the others out of the way and stay focused on what I was doing, where as before I would attempt to do all four things at once. That's got to be a good thing.
    Sue

Darksky, I was wondering how your ribs were doing.
    I'm pretty sure my pain was down to muscular now, although I do suffer with trapped wind on a regular basis, mainly from eating too fast or walking around with a piece of toast in my gob.
    I'd ruled out heart and lungs because my breathing was ok and did the test of deep breathing in and out.
    Then when I decided to investigate further by means of a mirror, I found some slight bruising just below the base of my bra and with all the stretching, bending, pulling, lifting in the garden, I could well have strained a muscle.
    I'm also thinking of ditching the under-wired bras as I think they may be causing repetitive injuries in this area.
    Let's face it, you wouldn't stick a pen on your chest and wear it all day and then twist your body around so it pokes the hell out of you.
    Thankfully I had no repercussions of the stitch like pain yesterday, but I made sure I didn't overstretch myself.

Other half has tennis elbow and is constantly rubbing it, caressing it, holding it like a baby. But as he used to play tennis, it was more than likely that he was going to suffer with it. He tried some physio, but it didn't really help much and it's something that worsens if he over uses that muscle. There is a gel pack that you can get that you put in the fridge/freezer that takes the swelling down when bad, that is quite affective.

Meditation......
    I have never focused on a candle but tend to look to focus on a bird in the garden, a flower, tree, something that nature has provided. And when I close my eyes I visualise the sun, the sea, a woodland or a pretty scene. Professionals will refer to as your happy place.
    I never fight the bad thoughts or worries, I let them drift by staying focused on my subject matter and if something is haunting me all day long or at night, I write it down to empty my head.

The weather took a turn around yesterday for the better.
    What a difference it makes to your day.
    As my dad used to say, "it doesn't matter whether you are outside in the sun, it's knowing its there that counts".
    Talking of dad, I collected him and mum (now rose bushes) and re-buried them in the garden here. There was a clear spot and that's where they have gone and as the garden is heavily cluttered with roses already, it's not going to look out of place.
    I feel better now that I have done that. In a way I still feel I have to care for them, make sure they are safe and happy and now being a rose, that pretty much looks after itself.

So I'm off to the vicar's annual Fete today. Held in his back garden. And I've taken note of the fact that they want bric-a-brac and books.
    It seems to be the only way you'd get me there, by an errand because I so hate that awkward conversation and lots of bodies seemingly having a good time.
    I'm already saying to myself, "I won't stop long, I'll just show my face and I can use my injury as an excuse. Maybe not, they might say I look ill or give me one of those sympathetic side glances".
    The thing is with invitations and events, you have to want to go. I don't, but I do want to get rid of some of this clutter. So try to find a positive reason within a negative one....
    "I don't want to go to the dentist, but I don't want this pain".
    "I don't want to go to the supermarket but I need to eat"
    "I don't want to go out but I need the air"
    "I don't want to get up but it's doing me no good lying here obsessing ".
    I use this type of motivation all the time. I talk to my brain and let it know why I need to do something no matter how scary or negative I feel about it.

spot,

We ended up skipping the vicar's fete and now feel bad for not going. It was actually Mr C who made the decision, so at least it wasn't me pulling out of yet another social event.
    Lately my meal times have been late due to one thing and another and I've noticed how grumpy it makes me.
    If I don't eat on what I think the right time is, my mind tells me that my whole day is going to be disastrous.
    Mr C doesn't get it and how it affects me and I'm not sure why it has that affect on me either, but it does and I can't see that changing.
    On a very rare occasion when eating out, in my mind I have to put extra time on beforehand in case we have to wait a long time for our food, which has happened a lot in the past. Over an hour in some cases. And strangely I'm not so bothered if meal times are earlier, it's only if I eat late.
    I'm also finding that I can't bear clutter anymore. Since moving and starting over with a blank canvas, the whole place started as being minimalistic and stuff is starting to creep back in already. Don't get me wrong, I like to have things and a cosy lived in look, but I don't want to see it everywhere! If it's in a cupboard or shelf or cabinet, I'm quite happy with that, but it's the stuff on the floor that seems to agitate me and Mr C is a putter on the floor person. Whether it be a book, newspaper, socks or plate. It all seems to end up on the floor.
    It makes me cringe and even makes me feel little dizzy. So, there I am stooping over picking things up most of the day and sighing under my breath with my agitation.
    To add to my daily grind of agitation, Mr C has got in to the habit of chatting to people when we go out. They could even be complete strangers and it's not something I feel comfortable with, especially when it's chat about nothing and everything. He knows I struggle with this, but not to appear rude I stick it out, force a smile, fidget like crazy and afterwards feel like I've just spent a session inside a washing machine.
    I wouldn't deprive him of his communication with other life, so I'll have to find some ways of coping with this.
    And why do people say, "have a nice weekend", when they are not working and know that we don't work. Everyday is the same to me except for the fact that the whole world seems to be out at the weekend.
    Yes, Mrs C seems to be turning in to Mrs grumpy and I tend to get like this as we approach summertime. Instead of lapping up the good weather and long days, I'm irritated by too many people, too much noise and queues in every shop I go to. Cafes bulging at the seams, screaming kids that get a reward for bulldozing a restaurant or cafe, people standing in the middle of the street so you have to walk in the road to get past, pubs spilling out and punters getting leary, not a parking place in sight and traffic jams everywhere! If that's not enough, the sun instead of giving you a nice warm glow making you feel better about yourself, burns your skin, blinds your eyes, fades and dries your hair and makes you sweat like you've been sitting in a sauna all day.
    Yes, definitely turned into Mrs grumpy and the summer just feeds my moaning. And I haven't even gone in to the never ending weed pulling, cutting grass that gives you a long stint of hay fever and hours and hours of watering plants that you originally got so excited about buying at the garden centre.
    Yes, Mrs grumpy has taken me over.
    But seriously, I am happy in my new home, it couldn't be any better and I'm very thankful that I was able to accomplish doing it. I don't take anything for granted, especially health and happiness.
    I'm just not keen on summertime.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

And apart from all that, "I am happy in my new home..."

Right, Mrs C. I'm afraid I'm going to have to perform an exorcism to dispel the spirit of Mrs Grumpy who has possessed you... Please be seated. (This could get ugly.)

"I command thee evil spirit of Mrs G, leave the body of Mrs C....in the name of the Wee Man be off with you....!"

Never Surrender, Comrade

One good thing about having a chronic pain condition is not being able to do the garden. This summer I have some truly impressive thistles and weeds aplenty. The grass is like a meadow but apparently that's quite the "in" thing. Soon I will be able to do my very own bespoke forest bathing (minus trees though). I've always loathed garden centres and avoid them like the plague! At least my house guinea pigs can enjoy the long grass but as for manicured lawns..Nothing beats a "natural" garden in my opinion!

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Letting your bushes grow and hang out is definitely fashionable these days and saves much crimping, cropping and fussing around, Agt P.

Likewise for your garden, I hear

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 122 of 685 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172222622 ... LastLast

Thread Information