Page 130 of 693 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180230630 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 6929

Thread: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Re: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Sue, I had an idea that you were going to feel the guilt trip, it was just a matter of when.
    Hubby having health issues will add to that feeling and there's no getting away from it, your hubby will not be feeling overjoyed about not feeling wanted in his own home.
    He must be incredibly considerate and love you to accommodate such a wish.
    I can think of many a husband that wouldn't entertain that at all.
    But, you can't help the way you feel and he just wants you to be happy.
    The danger in a request like that is obviously guilt and that can sometimes be more gut wrenching than the original request. My thoughts automatically point to if anything happened to hubby, you would be left with those days he drove off for no particular reason but to your request.
    I witnessed this a lot with my mum and dad and it became very hostile as time moved on to the point of hardly speaking to each other, which is something I presume you do not want to happen to you.
    You can't take back what has been said just as much as hearing someone's grievances, but you can explain in more detail that it's more about you and not about your marriage.
    I always think a woman maketh a home and therefore it becomes her nest. Most of the time the husband goes along or accepts the new decor, the furnishings, the nick nacks. And most women have routin and when that's upset it makes competent wife into grumpy wife.
    I'm not saying you are grumpy, but it might appear that way to hubby and therefore he will have two reasons to leave the house for a peaceful life.
    I'm telling it as I see it, no frills or wrapped up in a bow.
    There could be many silences and awkwardness in the household if you fall into a pattern where by hubby has to somewhat wander the streets or hang around an office whiling the time away.
    Personally I think that problem lies with your routine being turned upside down and the readjustment to that is far more difficult than you realised.
    Don't get me wrong, I perfectly understand how you feel and I sometimes snap when my other half has been sitting on the sofa next to me on his I pad for hours on end and just the tippy tapping on his keyboard makes me want to scream. But I try to curb my thoughts and irritation and go and do something in a different room or ask him if he wouldn't mind mowing the lawn or something like that.
    He can also tell if he is irritating me without saying anything and might comment, "would you like me to leave the house completely?" or "would you prefer it if I stopped breathing altogether?" Do you see where I am going with this? I'm just being honest and I've had to work at my irritations and work a manageable life around them.
    Don't think you are that abnormal, I know quite a few women who find their other halves irritating being home all day and the thoughts of us eventually retiring to even make our home our work life substitute is very common.
    My advice and it is only my personal opinion is to try and prevent yourself from feeling guilty at the same time for your hubby feel like he is not wanted.
    This is something you have to work out for yourself with a slightly constructed new routine. Have you ever thought, your hubby may even want time alone in the house too.
    Try to explain that the adjustment has been incredibly hard for you and given time it will settle once you have found that new adjustment. But try not to let it get to a stage like this lady I know......
    Her husband is disabled after a stroke and is in the house 24/7. He can walk with the aid of a walker to the toilet, Bedroom and sofa. He has the tv on all day and mainly sport and has short term memory. He can't wash himself, dress himself and cook for himself.
    His wife is resentful for the way he has become as she had dreams of that 'perfect' retirement.
    She doesn't have conversations with him only to tell him he has dribbled, talking rubbish, had the tv on too long, not tucked his shirt in or got up too early as it was her time to herself. The wife spends hours sitting in the garden or shed or bedroom from pure agitation constantly asking why this has happened to her. She fills her life with many visitors, even a book club, be friends people to sit with her husband so she doesn't have to and goes to every invitation going.
    The situation is still there and it still haunts her and she still tries to find happiness.
    The problem is she has not accepted the situation, she holds her husband responsible for her lack of happiness and constantly wants to be alone.
    Her husband has no idea how she feels, but thinks she is happy.
    The point is......
    She is seeing her long time husband as a burden in her life now and no matter what she does and where she goes, she still resents the situation. The real problem is in her head and the love she once had has turned in to anger.
    This lady still does everything in her life that she wants to do and still she has resentment and wants to be on her own. The situation won't change until he dies or he is sent to a care home which he has refused to do, (the carehome). So the lady has become resentful.
    But this lady has easily forgotten that their once was a very happy and wealthy marriage and all the things in the house was provided by her husband. And how would she feel if the boot was on the other foot?
    Life ain't a bed roses most of the time, I've learned that very quickly after spending a decade caring for 3 parents and not having a life to myself.
    But without compassion, the world will be a vile place and sometimes you just have to say, "ok, life has dealt me this hand, it's not great, but I'll make the most of it and grab my moments". Otherwise your life will be one long misery. And no situation lasts forever! But don't hold someone else's life ransome to your own happiness.
    And the lady I was telling you about. Well, she's a top psychiatrist in London charging loads of money to apparently give sound advice to people like us.

Excellent post Mrs.C.
    when people live together all the time, they would have to be super human for them not to grate on each other's nerves now and then. I'm sure I irritate the hell out of Mr.D on occasions and vice versa. But I choose to rise above it, breathe deep and it disappears eventually. I imagine he does the same with me. None of us are angels, we just have to muddle through and keep each other happy.

thanks for the list of foods, Mrs. C. I have passed it onto her plenty of moaning going on but I told her she's got to stick to it, so it will calm down. Then she can add stuff now and then. I also told her to start a proper food diary. Fortunately she doesn't eat chocolate because she has T2 diabetes so she won't miss that. Now me...I have Lindt chocolate in my veins instead of blood.

Ghost…Spillways

Darksky, if I think of anything else for the foodie list I'll let you know. I weakened last night and had a huge bar of chocolate and paid the price for it, so unfortunately it is a complaint that has to be monitored. :(

Ice-cream doesn't affect me, so that's another you can add to the list.

Wow, Mrs. C...... that post was.....wow! Thank you so much for those words - it has had a tremendous affect on me and is exactly what I needed to hear and understand. You are 100% correct on all of it, and I am copying and pasting your words into an e-mail that I can look at every day, or hourly if and when I start to feel frustration and resentment towards my husband. You've also reminded me of how much he does care for me and how much he has tolerated over the years and he deserves to get some back now. I'm not sure if I'm going to try to explain verbally how sorry I am and how I'm going to try and understand and change the way I've been acting, or if I'm going to write it to him (I'm so much better in writing) but he deserves, if nothing else, at least a heartfelt apology for making him feel like he doesn't have the right to be in his own home.

And like yours, he has asked "would you prefer if I just didn't exist anymore?" or "would it make you happy if I just stopped breathing altogether?" He deserves better than that and my "retirement goal" for the future, starting now, is to make a happy life for me AND him. While I was lying in bed pondering the way I am this morning (before reading your post) I concluded that since I have always been a scheduling, regimented person who needs a plan and an outline to follow that I have not relaxed or even started to fit into my new lifestyle because it wasn't the one I had "planned". My vision was that hubby would go off to the office 5 days a week and I would have my days to myself except for weekends. Since he has been home most of the time since I retired a few months ago, I have been in a waiting and holding pattern tapping my fingers until he finally goes to the office 5 days a week so I can start my retirement. Well suck it up, Buttercup, your plan didn't go according to your schedule so it's time to throw the plan in the trash and create a life with what you DO have.

Thank you, Wise Woman, for always telling it like it is and in a way that is so easy to grasp and understand. I may even tell my husband that one of my online friends gave me the insight and shaking I needed to start changing things.... you deserve a lot of the credit.

Stay tuned for some bumpy days ahead as I falter in my goal, and be prepared to slap me back into shape as needed, please.
    Sue

Sue, I was hoping you would take my post the way you received it. x

Think I've struck lucky in my new neighbourhood.
    There's a mechanic, electrician, tailor, chef and professional gardener. just missing a plumber and a nurse and won't have to move out of the street at all.
    I've been feeling a bit lightheaded lately, but not actually sure it's anxiety related or high pollen affecting my hay fever. But as usual I carry on trying not to let it deter me from doing anything.
    Just for more torture, we spent 4 hours in the garden yesterday trying to cull the mini jungle and trying my best not to get attacked by wasps.
    We managed to succeed at both and it was nice to see Mr C a changed man. Gardening is not his thing but he's really taking an interest, probably too much now as he managed to pull up a plant which he thought was a weed and I did my best not to scream at him.
    Generally I'm not doing too bad. I have a tendency to overdo things and need to stop and relax, but that comes from days of old. I'm a bit tense at the moment because the Landlord wants to come and see me and the newly decorated place and I take it as a judgement and being scrutinised which has put me on alert mode and excessive house chores. I'm practically washing things as soon as they enter the linen basket, hoovering every bit of fluff, wiping the kitchen worktops excessively and I don't feel I can relax and slump in my new home. :( I have a week to go before his visit and obsessing about what his remarks may be even though Mr C has told me a dozen times, it's miles better now than before we took it on. It's a shame my brain can't except that so I can stop worrying.
    I don't think I'll ever stop my worrying, if it's not about one thing, I'll find something else to fixate on. So maybe I need to accept that is the way I am. Mr C is the opposite, he doesn't worry about anything and I will go on and on and to the point of waking up in the middle of the night, jolting Mr C awake and going on about until he reassures me enough to go back to sleep.
    I've also noticed when I challenge my fears, it completely drains me for 3 times as long. The waves of extreme tiredness like the feeling of being up all night comes over me in seconds. This I don't fight and take as a sign to rest my body and mind. Sometimes I might need ten minutes rest, other times I need a lay down. My initial breakdown was due to exhaustion, so I'm hyper aware of that and react very quickly to tiredness to avoid a repercussion of where I was 5 years ago. At that time I went through what felt like my whole nervous system going through repair which felt like electric shocks all over my body. I might as well have been tied to a circular board, rotated and had pins thrown at me all day long, because that is what it felt like.
    And the first thing a Doctor or therapist will ask you is, "have you ever thought about killing yourself?" Eh????
    You gotta be kidding me. Just a smither of a confession and it will be down in black and white in your little black book and I'll be marked for life as suicidal and possibly sent off to some quarters they call a hospital to be tested on.
    "No, of course not", I reply.
    The next question will be, "Have you ever felt the need to harm others?"
    Oh my, this is really helping a lot and gaining my trust, NOT!
    You have to be careful and not joke and say something like, "Oh yes, I often feel like murdering my husband /daughter / son /mother, they drive me up the wall". While Doc or therapist puts you down as a potential serial killer.
    Quite honestly, you are much better off spending your time and money going to a farm for the weekend and mucking with the animals, breathing the fresh air and eating home-grown crops you've just pulled out of the ground.
    That's not a prescription, it's called getting back to reality and feeling alive!

Darksky, get your sister to get a pack of 'Royal Gala' apples, don't know why but it rids acid reflux in minutes!

Oh ok. Better than the gaviscon she's necking. An apple a day and all that.

I'm sure your house is fine. If Mr.C reckons it's better than you found it, then your landlord will be more than happy. Keeping houses super clean is a tiresome activity. Just think every time you clean your kitchen surfaces, I'm probably doing the same.

Ghost…Spillways

Sorry you're feeling light-headed. I'm trying to train my brain to dismiss any dizzy feelings I have and not give them any thought. In the past I've always gone into a panic about them, and spent the next hour (or more) trying to analyze why it happened and how I can prevent it from happening again. So that really gave the dizzy spell a lot of power and influence over me, and of course increased my fear of them. For the past few months I've been forcing myself to not "diagnose" it and just accept that it's life, and if it happens a few more times within the hour, THEN I will worry about it. But my top 3 dizzy causes seem to be: anxiety, allergies (blocked ears) and blood sugar levels. My hypnotherapist tried to instill upon me that we are not robots and our "machines" are very complex and little misfires and physical sensations are normal and to be expected. When you think about it, it's amazing that we don't malfunction more often than we do!

I, too, would be anxious knowing that someone was coming to inspect my home. I really hesitate to have anyone over, ever, because I am always self-conscious about whether the house is clean enough or not. I have rescue dogs and they shed and create dust and bring mud into the house and even though I see other's homes who are MUCH messier than mine, I also see my two sister's homes who are like museums... perfectly decorated and always spotless and company-ready.

The fact that you have a week's notice that he's coming only makes it worse, you would probably have been better off if he only gave you 24 hours notice. I'm dealing with anxiety today but thank God the event only got presented to me yesterday so I had less than 24 hours to worry about it. My friends and ex-coworkers are always asking me to stop by and say hello and visit, or have lunch with them, etc. I keep promising to do so but I've been putting it off. I feel like I want to look wonderful when I go back, I want to be fit, trim, healthy, nicely groomed and made-up like in the past, and I just haven't wanted to do that in this stage of retirement. Instead I'm working on relaxing my appearance and going out without being runway ready. But a co-worker reached out yesterday to tell me that one of our top executives was leaving (which he had already told me) and that they were having a cake and party for him and that they would love to have me surprise him by attending. I figured this would be a good opportunity to get my visit over with where the focus wouldn't all be on me, but instead I could make a quick appearance, give out some hugs, wish him well, and be done with my "visit" obligation for a while. Yes, I'm anxious, but not terribly, and since I have had less than a day to work myself up about it, it will be a quick bout of anxiety and over with by the end of today. Had I known about this party a week ago I would have subconsciously worrying about it deep inside without probably even realizing it, but anxiety symptoms would have started creeping up and I wouldn't be sure why. So be glad that at least you recognize that your anxiety is there, why it's there, and that you have an end-date. Advice on how to let go of that anxiety? I got nuttin'. You and I know there's not much we can do to prevent it, only minimize it.

Yes, Mrs. C, listen to your body. If your mind or body want you to rest, then rest if possible. (I'm talking to myself about that as well as to you).
    Sue

I've known about the Landlords appointment for a week already with another week to go and like you say, if it was 24 hrs or less notice, it would be easier to deal with. And yes Darksky, it does look better than when we viewed it, but people are strange and what you might think looks good, doesn't to somebody else and it does look like we have a hobo living in the garage. But I think I've exhausted myself with it now and now at the point of whatever will be. I've never been good with appointments of any kind, even a hairdressers appointment. I fret about whether she will be in a good mood or too tired, so ended up not going in the end and cutting my hair myself. The dentist I will only go to if in absolute agony because I find the cleaning process horrifically uncomfortable and I fear I will pass out. The M.O.T. on the car is another agonising wait for a pass especially as I struggle with public transport and walking too far from home. The doctors has to be the worst and with no lie, it brings me to tears so I'm already in a state before I even get to the waiting room.
    Even a visitor coming to the home which should be a pleasant thing I find highly anxious.
    But if I were to meet someone outside and invite them in, it's not so bad. It's all about the build up to a situation for me. And most of the time it turns out not bad at all and I think to myself, "why did I get myself into a state?"
    Yes Darksky, Mr C keeps telling me it looks miles better than when we viewed it, I should keep that in mind.
    Your potential viewings will have changed your routine too, but you get used to it and find as time goes on that people are not bothered about whether you have washed uo or hoovered, they are interested in the room sizes, the views and location and whether their furniture will fit. Even decor isn't a priority on their list. It's all about their vision and not yours. You fell in love with the place and someone else will too.

So, I went in to town yesterday and feeling incredibly lightheaded and usually it dissipates as I time passes, but the last two days, it hasn't. There's no particular reason for this and the only thing I can think of is my hay fever. I've got in to the habit of telling everyone I meet that I have bad hay fever to prevent any comments on how I look or appear strange. And despite this I managed 9 shops and an ice cream sitting by the sea.
    It seems to be my eyes not focusing properly and giving the feeling of being dizzy. And by the time I get home, I'm incredibly tired and all the time I'm out, I'm longing to get back. Maybe it could have something to do with not really wanting to go out in the first place as Mr C likes to go out every day and it's normally for at least 3-4 hours. That's like 3-4 days to me!
    We've had 4 gruelling months with Mr C's mum passing, clearing the house, doing the viewings, finding somewhere else and moving, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself and remember all those things I endured and achieved.

Page 130 of 693 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180230630 ... LastLast

Thread Information