Page 151 of 685 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251651 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 6848

Thread: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Re: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

I agree, you must keep going out, in small bites. If it will make you feel better, keep your front door key in your hand while you are out ( don't lose it..or else that will be another panic ) Rub your thumb across knobbly bits.....no idea what they are called. It's probably a form of mindfulness using touch but it may calm your head, the fact that it's the key to your door.

There are positives in looking at your previous successes. Just to think how far you'd come. If you did it before you can get there again. Perhaps this is the aftermath of all the stress of moving etc. With the occasional blip you pretty much nailed it, maybe it's all caught up you and you have to give your body time to deal with it.

You will get there, no doubt about it. Let time pass......that another Claire Weekes gem.

Ghost…Spillways

Hi everyone.
    Nice to see this thread active again - it's like a touchstone or daily dose of grounding. But unless I get the email telling me there is a new post I don't always remember or make the time to log on and I haven't gotten that email. No idea why it happens sporadically.

Life is good (but busy) ...... or is it good BECAUSE it's busy? Need to think about that. I've been trying to work on fixing my son's financial records since his old bookkeeper made a total mess out of them, and even though I don't enjoy bookkeeping, it's nice to keep my skills up to date and to keep my mind on something academic. But the biggest perk is that I think I can really help him get back on track and possibly analyze if he's losing money, and if so, where and why.

In addition, the contractor we use finally said he could get here Monday to renovate my crumbling, 70's half bathroom. So he has been at my house all Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and most of today. He always does a wonderful job and is reasonably priced, but OH MY GOD he's a chatterbox! He doesn't charge by the hour, so he spends so much time a day telling me all about his personal life, past jobs, customer's, politics, religion, etc. Nice guy, but NEVER SHUTS UP! That type of thing really gets on my nerves after a while, especially since I can't get anything done while he's always chatting at me. But I handled it this job MUCH better than I have in the past, so I think being retired (and overall less stressed) helped me put up with him. On top of that, since I didn't have a lot of notice that he was coming, I have been running ragged to the supply stores trying to pick faucets, cabinets, vanity, sink, toilet paper holder, ceiling light, etc. etc. I hate making those decisions under pressure and I've been going to so many stores trying to find something I love. Yes, I'm physically and mentally exhausted. And since he's here at 8:30 every morning, that really cuts in to my routine of sleeping late so I've only got about 5 hours of sleep each night. But he just finished, I love the way it came out, and I am now sitting down with my laptop and rejoicing in the silence.

BUT, now that I'm finally trying to relax, I am feeling the physical and mental symptoms. When I was running non-stop I didn't notice them but now that I'm sitting and relaxing, I notice I'm feeling a lot of anxiety. I guess this is normal - I should just accept it and let it pass while trying to catch up on rest.

BUT, (yep, another but) I also went for a job interview Tuesday morning. During those few months (May and June) when I decided I wasn't cut out for being completely retired and wanted to find a part time job, preferably working in the medical field or with animals, I filled out a few online applications to a few places. Monday the local Humane Society and asked if I would come in for an interview. I did, and it went well, but the job required a lot more hours than I was willing to give up (30 a week plus one weekend per month). Once I got home from the interview I sent them an email thanking them for their time but asking they take my hat out of the ring because I wasn't interested in the job with that many hours. I had even suggested that maybe they could find another candidate who wanted less hours and split the job in two, but they said that wasn't possible. So I put it to rest and felt relieved that it didn't work out. Today, I got a call from them, asking if I would reconsider and come in to talk to them again about possibly working less hours. The interview person said she spoke to the Board of Directors and is trying to get their approval to give me the hours I would like so I told her if she could do that, I would accept. So part of me is excited, and the other part isn't. I have really learned to enjoy the "no commitments" way of life, but I also think it would be good for me to have a place I have to be a few days and prevent me from becoming a slug, AND I really, really miss making my own money. I've never depended on anyone for financial support before and I would like to earn my own "fun money", ya know? Then I wouldn't feel any guilt when those Amazon boxes start piling up outside the door again.

Sorry for the long e-mail, I had a few days to make up for. I love this thread, and am glad you started it and are keeping it alive, Mrs. C. And thanks to all who pop in and participate. Everyone keep practicing all the techniques we've learned..... we've got this!
    Sue

Oh my, I'm exhausted just reading your post Sue.
    You've certainly got up to a lot in my absence and something tells me it's not going to stop.
    I always say, "do what makes you feel good".
    Some people just have to be busy. I am one of those and if it wasn't for the blasted lightheadedness, I'd be doing the same. But I always have relaxation time too.
    I had a lovely meditation in the garden and really haven't over exerted myself at all today. I look at the jobs to be done and think, "nah, it can wait".

Sue, congratulations on the success of your new career.
    I'm sure you'll be a great asset and it will fill that gap of boredom or nothingness.

Darksky, I love the key idea and will definitely try it.
    I always wear a bracelet or chain so I have something to fiddle with when nervous. And I don't go anywhere without my bottle of water. I must have been well flustered yesterday as I couldn't find it when out and all the time it was tucked under my arm. Its like the glasses on the head syndrome.
    And you are right, I've had previous success.
    It's controlling the health anxiety which is a hard one.
    Last edited by Carnation; 19-09-19 at 23:23.

Hurray to you for reminding yourself that your chores and tasks can wait..... I'm slowly learning that, too. There's nothing worse than trying to complete a job when you don't feel good or when you're simply not in the mood to do it. Now, if I can wait until the mood (and energy) strikes, I find I do a MUCH better job at whatever it is, and I actually enjoy doing it.

I'd hardly call working for the Humane Society a career, but hopefully it will keep me active while putting some pocket money in my wallet. And I am reminding myself, this is not a huge, life-changing commitment. If they can re-arrange the rest of the staff to make this job less hours, I will try it for a month or two but will keep telling myself that I can always give them notice and leave if I'm not liking it. It's not like I would be giving up a huge salary or insurance benefits, and it's not like I would be bailing on the executives of the corporation (like when I bit the bullet and retired). I'm looking at this as a "give it a try and see" with very little commitment, except to MYSELF.

The wonderful part, if I take the job, is that it is about a 3 minute drive from home, so no time wasted on the commute, and in bad weather, I can still get there easily. And it's not a corporate setting so I don't have to spend an hour before work doing make-up, hair, professional attire, accessories, etc. I can pretty much roll out of bed, brush my teeth, throw on jeans and a t-shirt, and be there in no time. So.... we'll see.

I'm flying across the country again in less than two weeks: my daughter needs to attend an out-of-state wedding so I will fly out there to watch her children and dogs while she flies to the wedding. After that trip, I am going to take a long break from these visits.... I refuse to fly that many hours during the winter. Not only are there issues with flight delays and cancellation, but the turbulence is so much worse during the winter storms. I'm staying grounded until next spring after I get back from this one!

Do something kind for yourself, fellow panickers, and remember that this too shall pass. It always does.
    Sue

Sue, I think you have absolutely the right attitude to this new job. Yeah, I know it's not a career as such, figure of speech. And I know it's not entirely in the bag as yet, but sounds like it's yours for the taking. They like you and that's the winner.
    I remember a job I went for quite a while ago now. It was for a charity and there was an immediate connection.
    Like yourself, the hours were just a bit too much and I turned it down. The next day they offered me less hours and an assistant to cover the overflow. It did wonders for my ego, but the truth was I wasn't a hundred percent I wanted the responsibility they wanted to give me.
    I personally think hours don't matter at all if you love what you are doing, but in your case Sue, you are supposed to be reaping the benefits of retiring as well.
    Another trip so soon. Doesn't seem long since your last one. But obviously this is a required one due to the circumstances. Sounds like you are taking the journey in your stride now. What a difference to earlier in the year.
    Yes, tasks are tasks. Fulfilling your day with pleasing stuff is far more satisfying to our brain.
    I think back to days of old when I used to hoover and polish everyday! I had much to learn in those days.

Last night I had what seemed like a cold come on. My voice went very husky and must have sneezed about fifty times. I took some honey, made a Roast Chicken dinner, smothered myself with Vicks and feel much better this morning. Just as a precaution I'm having a duvet morning which will probably turn in to the afternoon.
    I'm already thinking what I can order from Amazon, which has become a bit of a habit now.
    I have no idea how anxiety is going to pan out today with feeling like I have the lurgy as well. But normally when a illness or injury occurs, that normally takes preference in my head. I've already marked a hot toddy for my bedtime drink.

Urgh, I hope you haven't got the lurgy. There is a lot of it about. I feel like handling money with kitchen tongs. Not sure whether it's the change of seasons or what.

im having an easy day too. Just been planting a few bulbs and washing. This afternoon I'm going to go to the market and get another bucket for the wine, which is fermenting nicely.

youve reminded me I have a CD sitting in my Amazon basket, better complete the order I suppose I also ordered a box set of books for my mother, who is an avid reader. Let's face it, it's nice getting parcels.

try and get some fresh air...drag your duvet into the garden. It's a beautiful day, nice and warm with an Autumnal breeze. Can't wait to get the dogs out later on. Sunday is downhill according to the weather forecast.

Ghost…Spillways

When I read 'bucket for the wine' my eyebrows raised, then I realised you were making wine. Wine that'll probably knock your head off. My mum used to make it and her raison was destined to put you on the floor.
    Yes, I will take myself to the garden this afternoon. Here in the East we've had alot of cloud. I do have some sort of lurgy, seems to be my ears, nose and throat. I an doomed to suffer in that region, if its not hayfever, its sinus and colds. :(
    I've discovered a new distraction for high anxiety. Sticker books. Meant for kids, but who cares, I don't.
    As for Amazon, oh my, they are at my door nearly every day at the moment. Never realised they did everything!

You hit the nail right on the head, Mrs. C, about working versus retirement and finding the proper balance. Yes, if I were applying for a full-time job it would really be a stressful decision because it would consume so much of my life, but since I'm trying to stick to my goal of only working 24 hours (or less) a week, it doesn't feel like a huge commitment nor a decision that will keep me up at night. I can do anything for a few days a week, as long as I know I have a few days to myself to decompress, heal, recover, etc. And if you can find something you like doing and are comfortable with, it's not really "work". Most people don't have the luxury of having a full-time job that they love doing, but I'm hoping to make this part-time job something that adds to my fulfillment. I think it will give me a sense of purpose, a way to help the homeless animals and help the people who can no longer keep their beloved pets, and it'll put some money in my pocket so I can start piling up those Amazon packages again. I wonder if Amazon has done any testing on how they have affected people psychologically..... I do believe it has become much more than just a convenient shopping method..... I think lots of people are finding it addictive and perhaps using it as a way to reward themselves. Not a bad thing, if it doesn't become a life-altering problem.

The trip cross country is right on the tail of my last one: I got home from the last trip the end of August. This is a special circumstance, and I have a very hard time saying no to my kids. I hope I can stay strong if they ever ask me to do something that really goes against my comfort level, so I will need you guys to help me stay strong, but this trip I am almost looking forward to. Thank you, hypnotherapist - you have made traveling something I can almost look forward to rather than something that makes me ill for weeks in advance.

I'm not sure how this is possible since we live so far apart from each other, but it sounds like we are all coming down with the same virus or cold at the same time! Mine hit yesterday as soon as the contractor left: voice went hoarse, got dizzy, exhaustion set in, and I hit the couch and slept for hours right up till noon today. Hoping doing very little today will help it pass quickly.

Sticker books? I brought a huge one with me on my last trip to visit my grandchildren and did enjoy doing it with him - what a unique idea! I need to get back to doing my "diamond painting".... I used to find that so relaxing at the end of a long work day, and then I put it aside and have forgotten about it ... time to dig it out again. I have so many projects around the house on my "To Do" list and when I was working I was under pressure to get them done on weekends or the few hours I could find at night, but now that I have more time, there is no urgency to them..... and thus, they aren't getting done. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I just had a fleeting thought, Mrs. C: is there a hobby or class or something outside the house that you could sign up for that you would find so enjoyable that it would act as a distraction? Ceramics class? Painting class? Yoga? Anxiety support group? Yes, it would be challenging the first few times but if it's something you enjoy once you get there, it might be a great distraction? Just a thought.

Here's hoping this scratchy throat and crackling ears leaves us all soon!
    Sue

Yes, that's exactly what I've got Sue. Voice went all hoarse last night to the point of breaking up and by the time I got to bed, I was whispering. Mr C kept chatting away to me and I hand signed him to say I couldn't speak, so he gave me silence for a rare change. A sneaky smile appeared on my face, because I rarely go to sleep without the constant chatter from Mr C. As they say, 'something good comes out of something bad'.
    It's weird because I don't have a sore throat or the chills, but my ears are popping and my nose is full of it. Weird, must be a virus. I've got the dizziness too, but can't tell whether it's that or anxiety. Or whether it's that bringing on the anxiety dizziness.

Sue, 24 hrs is more than enough. Getting to know you, you won't take the position lightly and may find you get far more involved than you realise.
    I was like that when I worked for the animal rescue centre.
    If they offer 2.5 days, that's even better.

Funny you should mention an outside hobby, I have been thinking of just that.
    Although my dizziness will have to be much calmer.
    It would have to be something that keep my hands busy and doesn't require too much eye contact or conversation. Plus I fidget. Could be a hard task.

Yes, I thought it wasn't long since your last trip.
    You can call yourself a jetsetter now.

We always seem to be on the same track and have the same thoughts at the same time.... you and I definitely have a connection, Mrs. C.

You know me so well! I don't even have the job yet and I'm already picturing ways to improve some of the things I saw there, thinking about all the fund-raising activities I might want to instigate, and this job will probably end up costing me more than I make because I will always be buying things for the shelter that they can't afford.

Yes, 2.5 days would be ideal and that is what I will push for. I have found that I feel my best when I am very active for 2-3 days and then allow myself a rest day to recover, so that could work nicely. Thanks for helping me think this through clearly and for the support.

OK, so we need to figure out what website or what information you can obtain about local groups, hobbies, classes, etc. You need to be scrolling through lists of options and wait until you find one that causes your eyes to light up. Perhaps a gardening group?

This is not anxiety-related, but heck, this thread has covered every topic imaginable so it's no longer just an anxiety thread, right? Husband and communication: I'm getting really frustrated with the lack of QUALITY communication from him. Yes, he can jabber on and on with painfully boring and unnecessary details about motors, engines, electronics, his projects and spreadsheets, but I never know what's going on with him regarding his feelings or thought processes or what's really going on inside of him. And I suspect he has no clue, either. He never shows any emotion and never provides any feedback. And if I ask, I get a one word, neutral answer.

I think I am going to instigate a talk this weekend asking him to help me better understand why he seems to be uninterested in REAL discussions as opposed to filling the time with detailed descriptions of inanimate things. Does your husband every have a "quality" discussion with you? Oh wait, I will rescind part of my statement: my husband is good at trying to help me verbally with my physical ailments. Almost to a fault. If he doesn't understand the medical condition, he can't possibly give me the answers or the solution, but Lord knows he tries.
    Sue

Page 151 of 685 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251651 ... LastLast

Thread Information