Page 175 of 692 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275675 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 6914

Thread: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Re: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

So for me, yesterday was not one of my best days.
    Looking for stuff in the fridge to cool my burning tongue down and hardly doing anything for fear of hurting my back further. But I did manage a short gentle walk and mooching around the house feeling sorry for myself.
    I noticed a few coping mechanisms creeping back in to my day and I'm annoyed I allowed them.
    They didn't make me feel any better, just worse. Where's that willpower gone? Can you order it on Amazon?

Talking of that, I've had to curb my Amazon shopping. It's become my new tool for comforting. I might just get some scented candles for Christmas and wait for the sales.

Up and down, that's the way recovery goes. It's just maddening that we can't get a long stream of good days under our belt. So we build up a sort of reserve to fall back on. But who knows what tomorrow will bring.

I know what you mean about curbing amazon although for me it's eBay. I just have to face it, I LIKE buying stuff. But you do get to the point when you realise the house does not need any more ditzy stuff lying around.

Its gone black as night here, after a beautiful sunny morning....I reckon the rain is coming, again.

Ghost…Spillways

[QUOTE=Carnation;1904681]Mrs M, don't get too despondent that you didn't have such a good day yesterday. I'm not surprised at all when you told me what you did with your day.
    And I have to say that would be quite normal under circumstances like that.

I myself have not been as good since my back injury and tongue issues and during the night woke with acid reflux which always scares the hell out of me.
    I suppose in an ideal world we'd all want to be in perfect health all of the time.

I'm currently on workbook 3 of CBT Mrs M and its generally about exposure. This could take some time and I find the gradual approach as opposed to bulldozing myself in to a situation. But it does work.

No one said it would be easy, we know that a hundred times over, but remember it is doable. x[/QUote

Thanks Carnation - you are right - I overdid it yesterday and that is why I was feeling that way. Sometimes we think we are all recovered and then push ourselves too far.

sorry to hear you had acid reflux. It can be quite scary as it literally feels like your throat is going to burn away but it doesn’t and it can’t harm you. Magnesium is a good antacid. Also pineapple - yep you heard right 🤣. I find peppermint helps too - but for some it makes it worse. Another good one- is a teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of water. I wonder what caused it though. I think anxiety reduces stomach acid so it makes the food go back up 😔.

i hope you had a better day today. You have helped me so much and I am here for you xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    So for me, yesterday was not one of my best days.
    Looking for stuff in the fridge to cool my burning tongue down and hardly doing anything for fear of hurting my back further. But I did manage a short gentle walk and mooching around the house feeling sorry for myself.
    I noticed a few coping mechanisms creeping back in to my day and I'm annoyed I allowed them.
    They didn't make me feel any better, just worse. Where's that willpower gone? Can you order it on Amazon?

Talking of that, I've had to curb my Amazon shopping. It's become my new tool for comforting. I might just get some scented candles for Christmas and wait for the sales.
    Aw don’t be hard on yourself - we can fall back really easy - as the brain likes to go with memory and what it has done before. To retain it is hard- but you will get there. I know you can persevere. As you know- with practice using the CBT work books and with time - you can make a full recovery. X

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmitchell1984 View Post
    Aw don’t be hard on yourself - we can fall back really easy - as the brain likes to go with memory and what it has done before. To retain it is hard- but you will get there. I know you can persevere. As you know- with practice using the CBT work books and with time - you can make a full recovery. X
    Morning Carnation, I was wondering have you ever had sun stroke? I am thinking back to triggers of my anxiety this time around and I remember it being when it was one of the really hot days. I have had head stroke before and whenever I get hot now - I worry about it. I tend to get relapses in the summer rather than the winter- so I wonder if that is part of it too x

Morning Mrs M

The answer to that is yes!
    Heat and sun is one of my biggest triggers.
    Actually having a hot flush talking about it.
    I've had a few situations when on a hot day it has caused a panic attack which I still wonder whether it could have been heatstroke.
    Although I did suffer from sunstroke for certain when I went on a boat trip abroad wearing no hat and it's difficult to tell them apart from a panic attack.
    So I sort of have a phobia of hot burning sun or even a hot stifling room with the central heating pumping out.
    I just don't like the feeling of feeling hot
    When I get the face flushing and sometimes when I'm not doing anything at all but sitting, I try now to just let it happen and it does subside quicker than me rushing to the mirror or sticking my head out the door or window.
    Just a thought can bring one on.
    And because of the anxiety symptom of hot flushes it is difficult in the summertime to know whether it is anxiety or a reaction to the heat from the sun.
    So avoid going out in the really hot days, wear a hat and leave physical activities to cooler, shady days. x

Thank you for your tips on acid reflux. We can add gala apples to the list Mrs M.
    You are absolutely right, it is because of lack of Acid in the stomach which seems to contradict the condition, but it's mainly fatty, spicy and dairy foods that can produce this condition. That leaves us with a very boring diet.

I think it's a good idea to educate yourself on the workings of the body and understand how anxiety works.
    Understanding is one of the keys to managing and coping.

It's a new week Mrs M with more challenges.
    We will take on the day with its highs and lows and will pat ourselves on the back for the smallest of achievements and celebrate the bigger ones. x

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Morning Mrs M

The answer to that is yes!
    Heat and sun is one of my biggest triggers.
    Actually having a hot flush talking about it.
    I've had a few situations when on a hot day it has caused a panic attack which I still wonder whether it could have been heatstroke.
    Although I did suffer from sunstroke for certain when I went on a boat trip abroad wearing no hat and it's difficult to tell them apart from a panic attack.
    So I sort of have a phobia of hot burning sun or even a hot stifling room with the central heating pumping out.
    I just don't like the feeling of feeling hot
    When I get the face flushing and sometimes when I'm not doing anything at all but sitting, I try now to just let it happen and it does subside quicker than me rushing to the mirror or sticking my head out the door or window.
    Just a thought can bring one on.
    And because of the anxiety symptom of hot flushes it is difficult in the summertime to know whether it is anxiety or a reaction to the heat from the sun.
    So avoid going out in the really hot days, wear a hat and leave physical activities to cooler, shady days. x

Thank you for your tips on acid reflux. We can add gala apples to the list Mrs M.
    You are absolutely right, it is because of lack of Acid in the stomach which seems to contradict the condition, but it's mainly fatty, spicy and dairy foods that can produce this condition. That leaves us with a very boring diet.

I think it's a good idea to educate yourself on the workings of the body and understand how anxiety works.
    Understanding is one of the keys to managing and coping.

It's a new week Mrs M with more challenges.
    We will take on the day with its highs and lows and will pat ourselves on the back for the smallest of achievements and celebrate the bigger ones. x
    Aww bit hugs to you too Carnation-let’s see what this week brings- and keep on the positive and fear free path. My therapist said today that we can’t stop the feelings (anxiety and depression) as they are normal reactions- but we can choose how we respond and whether we get hooked on to them.

so you have thermophobia too- that interesting as I have been much more anxious since I suffered from a bout of heatstroke when I was 16 and slowly developed anxiety when I was 21 (a while ago). Did you anxiety start after you suffered heat stroke? I remember feeling really dizzy, my vision went, I couldn’t hear properly either- so you will know if you get heat stroke - a scary experience.

oh I’ll add apples to the list too for acid reflux- that’s another good one xxxx

Do you prefer the cold? I hate the cold too- as I worry I’ll catch a cold- I am just really sensitive to temperature I think x

I don't mind the cold Mrs M, but I do fear catching colds and stuff. Saying that, a low temperature kills most bacteria, its the transition from hot to cold that is more likely to adverse with bugs and colds. Those humid temperatures around 14c.
    In a perfect world, we'd like it just the right temperature, a gentle breeze, no humidity and just a portion of sun with shady bits.

Mrs M, I was only diagnosed with anxiety nearly 6 years ago, but I believe it stems back to as far as my childhood years. I have many issues from being on my own, to a fear of the heat and becoming dehydrated.
    I actually spent 3 months in hospital when I was a baby from dehydration and although I have no memory of that, just knowing about it is a trigger or shall I say reminder that I have to keep drinking regularly. I probably drink too excessively now and it's something I'm working on. That's not alcohol by the way.
    I have no idea the cause of my anxiety, but it was eventually fatigue and stress that kicked it off for me.

I have no doubts that the memory of your incident with heatstroke will have caused a trigger problem, but what you described sounds very similar to a panic attack..
    I know when I had heatstroke I felt incredibly sick, a headache, felt very hot and slept for ages.
    Was definitely heatstroke or could it possibly have been a panic attack Mrs M? This is something you could discuss with your therapist in more detail next time. x

Darksky

I have ditzy on a major scale. All pretty useless, but pretty.
    I think it's all comfort stuff. The cushions, the candles, the fluffy rabbit sitting solely on a chair that's never used. The snug blanket hanging over the arm of the sofa, the seductive lamp on a side table with a vase on another waiting for a rare bunch of fresh flowers.

My excuse is "if it gives us pleasure, then it's worth having".

Page 175 of 692 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275675 ... LastLast

Thread Information