Page 226 of 692 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276326 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 6918

Thread: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Re: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Lol, you made me laugh Pulisa
    You are both right, I can't deny that.
    I feel the same way about therapists.
    How many times can you tell the same story and with no answers to those stories.
    With the price of therapy these days, I'd want a free book thrown in as well.
    Therapy should be free anyway imo.
    I suppose deep down I was hoping for that one book that has the secret to success, but we all know that success lies within ourselves.
    In the end, we know what we've got, we know the how to deal with it and generally it's days of different degrees of anxiety.
    I would like to tackle my phobias, especially my driving, but it's not the end of the world if I don't drive.
    And PTSD is a complexed condition.
    But General Anxiety, well I think enough has been said and read and its talking in circles really.
    Thank you both for caring. xx
    Last edited by Carnation; 31-01-20 at 20:25.

What is "success" in terms of anxiety management though? To me it's getting through each day which may not be enough for some people and I respect that completely.I don't think there is that one elusive secret to what we each interpret as success but I think the authors of all these manuals would like to cash in on what is after all Big Business now that mental health is such a talking point xx

That's a very good question Pulisa.
    'What is success in terms of anxiety management?"
    For me, it would to be not held hostage to the fear and to be able to do what I want, when I want.
    And yes, you are quite right. Getting through the day.
    To be able to look after yourself independently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    That's a very good question Pulisa.
    'What is success in terms of anxiety management?"
    For me, it would to be not held hostage to the fear and to be able to do what I want, when I want.
    And yes, you are quite right. Getting through the day.
    To be able to look after yourself independently.
    So you know what you want which is always a good thing! Loosening those anxiety shackles is certainly not an impossible task and you don't need a self-help book to tell you what to do. Confidence in yourself and in your ability to cope independently will take time to nurture but have faith in your own capacity to achieve this target? xx

Oh, I always know what I want, whether I get it is another matter. Seriously though, confidence is the key and that I'm working on.
    Isn't it so much easier to help others rather than yourself.
    And to a certain extent looking after others diverts your attention away from your anxiety.
    It's when all that stops and you suddenly think, "oh my, I have to look after myself now".

I know you have to do what YOU feel is best for you, and that's exactly what you should do. If you feel the reading isn't harming you and might be helping, go for it. I just know that it would (and did) make things worse for me. No, anxiety will never go away or disappear completely, but we can certainly force it to take a back seat once in a while!
    Sue

I find self help books fill me with hope for a couple of days then it sort of filters away again back to square one. I don't read them much now I have to admit.

we had a flood in the back yard Friday. Really gushing out. Now trying to find a reliable emergency plumber is stressful. Even MrDs anxiety levels were rising ( I recognised the symptoms) we had slabs and broken concrete everywhere plus soil that had turned to deep mud, resembling quicksand and a fountain of water that would give anything in Venice a run for its money. Fortunately number 2 son arrived and suggested our boiler man...who happened to know someone, pulled a few strings and we had a chap round within the hour. Then yesterday our lovely son came back and helped put all the slabs and concrete blocks back together. He's such a good lad to have in your corner when things get rough.

Last night was wine time...for medicinal purposes

Ghost…Spillways

Darksky, so sorry to hear about your flood, but pleased your son came to your rescue.
    I wouldn't normally recommend alcohol on my thread, but this is an exception.
    Mr C and I had a flood in our pub one year and the crisps took the brunt, but the optics were completely safe and were used to aid our misery.

Well, I did my first social visit in months to a neighbour's house at the weekend.
    Completely off the cuff and thought more of it as a challenge than a pleasantry.
    Apart from being fidgety and not really enjoying it, I managed a full 40 minutes of talking nonsense, staring at the person's nik-naks and pictures.
    At one point I wasn't even paying attention to what the person was saying and had to change the conversation quickly.
    Anyway, I did it and on leaving, didn't have any panic to run, but truthfully, it wasn't really enjoyable.
    I just don't feel it's my thing. Sitting chatting about stuff that you have to think what to chat about.
    Unless it was a setting outside on a gentle spring day where I could admire the wonders of nature and have my feet on the earth. Or on a farm with the animals

That's how I am, too, Mrs. C. Even if I can tolerate it and get through it without too much anxiety, I don't WANT to be there! I have no patience or use for idle chatter and forced small talk. I am constantly counting down the minutes until I can leave and be doing what I want to be doing again. That's why I think perhaps when you find a group or a club where people of similar interests and passions gather, it will be a totally different experience, as it won't be small talk and idle chatter - it will be a subject you enjoy and want to share your thoughts and opinions. But then again, I can only do those in small doses, too, until I am ready to escape back to my own abode where I can research and enjoy my hobbies by myself. (shrug). Some people NEED to have other people around all the time, and then there's those of us (introverts who get drained by other people) who need to be alone to recharge our batteries. I'm not forcing myself to do these things anymore. Yes, some are unavoidable, but the ones that are optional, I decline.

I also find the spur of the moment ones are the best. The planned ones give us too much time for anticipatory anxiety.
    Sue

Page 226 of 692 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276326 ... LastLast

Thread Information