Page 229 of 699 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279329 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 6981

Thread: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Re: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Hi, all. Carnation, I just want to say that I’ve really enjoyed reading thru this thread and seeing your progress. Reassurance is the bane of all HA sufferers I feel like. You have had, or still have, so many of the same symptoms as myself. It’s nice to know I’m not alone but at the same time I really want there to be a miracle “fix” for this HA.

right now I’m recovering from the flu. I’m on day 7, and each day has gotten a little better. But yesterday I noticed a lot of the chest congestion I had started making its way back up to my head in the form of completely blocked sinuses and pressure. So last night I did a shot of Afrin up each nostril which completely dried up the sinuses - awesome. However, it also caused insomnia and near constant anxiety until I finally fell asleep around 2 this morning.

so frustrating! Why can’t I be like “normal” people and take cold meds to make me feel better! I have to be so careful what I take because I react with anxiety to every freaking thing. I’d love to learn how to better break this cycle. I repeated my “this is only anxiety and it will pass” mantra hundreds of times last night. I started re-reading the CBT stuff in the forums. I tried deep breathing. Just seems like nothing was working.

anyway - didn’t mean to hijack your thread. Just wanted to say I appreciate you taking the time to document your journey! I hope you all have a great day

Nice to hear from you glassgirlw
    It's always nice to hear from readers, I often feel like I'm talking to myself, lol. I do that a lot!
    As usual, sorry you suffer too as anxiety can feel like permanent flu symptoms.
    It's a good idea to prop your pillows up when you have a cold, flu or sinus symptoms.
    It's a double bubble when we get ill, as if anxiety is not enough.
    I actually find rest or a project the best against all the breathing exercises and god knows how many other things we try to get us through the day.
    But just one good day, even if occasionally, always shows promise. x

I don't know where to start with my post today, so I'll just throw it all out on the page and hope I don't bore the pants off everyone.
    My health anxiety has been exasperated by two main issues....
    Acid reflux and bile which has made me sick three times in the last week. I have an ongoing problem with it and learning the hard way what I can or cannot eat.
    I know certain foods can affect people differently, so there's no rule for everyone.
    But for me so far its....
    Anything fried, pies, alcohol, fruit juice and citric fruits, chocolate, some cakes, biscuits (unless digestive), white bread, baked beans, tomatoes, fatty meat and I believe some vegetables, but not sure which ones because I have a medley of veg most days. Maybe butter and cream, but not 100% sure.
    The other health issue which may or may not be related, is this ongoing discomfort and occasionally pain under the left breast which feels like it's deep in the ribs.
    Sometimes it's a twinge and if I twist abruptly to the left, it's a horrendous pain that feels like I'm being stabbed.
    This issue started 5 years ago and happened when I twisted round to put my coat on the back of a chair.
    It was sore for a while and disappeared. But it keeps coming back periodically. And when it does, it sets off my health anxiety. I'm going to say it, the 'C' word is in the back of my mind and is such a common thought for us sufferers.
    Ok, I can hear you saying, "Go see your GP" and I'd probably should. But as I haven't seen one for about 4 years as I had such a horrendous time with my last practice, I have a massive fear of going. As do most health anxiety sufferers, or if you've had a useless GP in the past.
    So, to be honest, I don't know why I'm even mentioning this, but if I don't get this out on paper, I'm leaving it in my worry head.
    Health anxiety is the worst for ramping up the symptoms.
    And I know many people that do go to their GPs quite regularly, have all the tests going and STILL think there's something more serious or haven't found the real cause.
    And in my experience, once you are diagnosed with anxiety, they do tend to blame everything on that, even if anxiety has caused an ongoing issue like reflux, ibs and send you away with yet another packet of meds.
    So, I'm taking a good look at the food I eat and I have all intentions of finding a healthy, non irritable array of foods that hopefully will not exasperate the condition.
    I feel I can't deal with the anxiety until the health issues are sorted, to a certain extent, the other way round too.
    That temptation to Google is so scary when it comes back with the most frightening of diagnoses and we search on forums for others that may experience the exact same thing to put our minds at rest. Even if for a little while, to gain a temporary period of relief.
    I'd go as far to say I've turned into my hypochondriac mother, but the symptoms are real and that's enough to keep you worrying day and night. To keep you from having a good night's sleep or wake you several times while sleeping. It's a circle of worry until you feel a fraction of good health to give you that positive feeling we so desperately need.
    So, there it is. I've dribbled my worries out today and now my focus is on storm Dennis.
    Well, we have to have something to get anxious about.
    Last edited by Carnation; 15-02-20 at 12:46.

Good morning Just wanted to pop in and say that I struggle with the exact same reflux problems. I have a laundry list of foods that I know will trigger it, and it’s pretty similar to yours! Unfortunately for me I’m a glutton for punishment and will still eat the foods even though I know they’re going to cause me issues I find that Tums give me relief, but I try to not turn to that very often as I’ve had a kidney stone, and they say those can be caused by too much calcium - which is the main ingredient in tums. So sucking on peppermint candies also helps sometimes.

it’s funny how reassurance works. I come on here to read others posts rather than googling and I do think it helps me. But it’s a two sided coin for sure because I think hyper focusing on the anxiety prolongs the symptoms too. That being said, I’d rather seek out some reassurance than be stuck in a crippling anxiety attack loop for days, so reading some stories of others going through similar situations is my fix

it’s been super cold here in the center of the US all week - plus I’ve been sick with the flu so trying to avoid the out of doors. It’s supposed to warm up to 42 deg F today so I may pile on some blankets and air out the house a little! I hope you can have a (mostly) anxiety free day!
    Last edited by glassgirlw; 15-02-20 at 12:29. Reason: Typo

I agree, I'd rather hear that someone else has similar sufferings to me, but at the same time, I don't want anyone else to suffer like me.
    It's the overdrive thinking and being blunt, the thoughts of, "am I going to die?"
    I too indulge in foods that I know might upset my system, all for minutes of pleasure to then suffer for hours!
    Why do we do that?
    Glassgirlw, we normally get your weather after, so it's not likely to warm up for some time. Unlike last year when Spring came early.
    Sorry to hear you had the flu, but can hear in your voice you are recovering well.
    Such an illness leaves you depleted for a while, so you are doing the right thing by relaxing and keeping warm.
    Thank you for your reply, it's very comforting to feel like you are not alone. x

Aww Carnation as you know I’m exactly same, just had a bacon butty, so may or maybe not get acid, I can’t pin point it down to anything really cause sometimes I can eat something and will get it then other times I don’t, I think a lot is to do with how relaxed and contented your feeling, as tension upsets the tummy, as I’m tense and anxious most of the time, hence why I get acid a lot....

Regarding that pain your getting on the left side I can promise you it’s definitely not cancer Carnation, for one thing I think after 5 years you would have known about it by now, it wouldn’t come and go, but I understand 100% your way of thinking cause I’m just the same...but logical thinking goes out the window when your worried....Sounds more
    muscle related to me, 5 years ago when putting your coat on you could have injured yourself, ( very easily done) and now that is a weak spot, so if you happen to turn, bend, lift etc wrong you are aggravating an old injury, so it will play up for a while...

I have a fear of drs too, frightened in case they send me for tests, fear of what those tests will show, years ago I was the opposite and wanted tests for peace of mind, but not anymore, and if they want to take my bp it just goes higher.....

I think HA suffers notice every little ache, pain, twinge, sensation etc in their body and that puts you on high alert 24/7, which only causes more tension, chronic tiredness, more symptoms, until like you said a glimpse of ‘Oh I don’t feel so bad’ to give you that little bit of happiness and a feeling of normality, which is usually only short lived cause we then question that feeling,....

You will be absolutely fine Carnation and please try not to worry about pain, it’s more of a nuisance than anything serious, tension will only cause the muscles to tighten and will cause you more pain....Try heat on it to relax muscle....

love and hugs

Somewhat off topic here, but I had to google what a “Bacon Butty” was because, BACON is it seriously just a couple pieces of bread piled with bacon in between? That’s the best thing I’ve ever seen and now I need one

this site is an education in more ways than one for me. I’m always having to look up terms and foods and if I wasn’t so afraid of flying, I’d be coming to your side of the pond just for the foods alone lol!!

What about some topical voltarol on the affected area? Deep heat rub? Does sound very much rib/costal ligament related and can be aggravated when you have tensed up all your muscles. Don't bother with the GP surgery-full of germs!

My game buddy YNWA
    We talk about this a lot, don't we?
    I should be more au fait about this as my mum suffered badly with it. But as a teenager, didn't take much notice. But I do remember my mum not eating any fried foods and little meat and sucking peppermints, which I can't do, because I don't like the taste.
    It makes me heave just using toothpaste, lol. There's no hope for sensitive me.
    I agree worrying and stress seems to make it worse.
    Many years ago I would have brushed it all off like an irritating fly.

Glassgirlw, try a BLT if your stomach can take it.
    Followed by a very healthy dinner later of course. x

Page 229 of 699 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279329 ... LastLast

Thread Information