Page 243 of 693 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253293343 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,430 of 6922

Thread: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Re: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Well look at you, Mrs. C..... putting down those wise and wonderful words trying to put us all in a calmer, more serene state. And it did - well done! Yup, that's what we do. When there's a crisis going on, we rise to the challenge and often forget to do the needed recovery afterwards, so thanks for the reminder.

I don't think I've fully grasped the magnitude of what's happening in the world right now. Yes, we all talk about it and hear about it constantly on the news, and our lives have changed because of it, but I haven't really allowed it to sink in just how stressful a time we're living through. Like I always do, I acknowledge it and then put it on the back burner, going on with life as if everything is the same. When I look back on this time a few years from now I will probably be shocked that I got through it, but while I'm going through it, I don't give it a lot of consideration. Maybe that's because my life hasn't changed that much since the quarantine: hubby still does the shopping, I still go to to work as I always did. We're eating the same things and our free time is still filled with the same things. Thank God for my sal****er tanks - I have been spending a lot more time working on those and the benefits have been great - everything is so healthy and beautiful, and I have seahorse babies! When I start feeling better, I hope to fill my empty hours with outdoor gardening, but it's been too cold to spend a lot of time out there, nor would any plants survive just yet.

Anyway, thanks for the soothing, calming words, and putting things in proper perspective. I just spoke with the doctor's office and she's sending me for bloodwork today to see if my thyroid levels are off. Then she wants me taking my temperature several times a day throughout the weekend and to check back with her Monday. I think if I had the virus I would be feeling horrible by now, and instead I'm just "unwell". Positive thoughts and prayers that we all pull through this even better than when it started. The Universe has a plan.
    Sue

Personally i think it's a good thing that you are carrying on with your normal routine as much as you can, Sue. You are aware of the situation but aren't letting it take over your life.

I hope you feel better over the weekend..Your doctor is being cautious and exploring all options. If your thyroid levels are off it's obviously best to know and take action. It's automatic to jump to the "Is this Covid?" mindset and symptoms do seem to be variable and vague in some cases which is what makes this virus so unpredictable. You are lucky to have a caring doctor although I'm sure she doesn't come cheap!! But what price health and peace of mind?!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Personally i think it's a good thing that you are carrying on with your normal routine as much as you can, Sue. You are aware of the situation but aren't letting it take over your life.

I hope you feel better over the weekend..Your doctor is being cautious and exploring all options. If your thyroid levels are off it's obviously best to know and take action. It's automatic to jump to the "Is this Covid?" mindset and symptoms do seem to be variable and vague in some cases which is what makes this virus so unpredictable. You are lucky to have a caring doctor although I'm sure she doesn't come cheap!! But what price health and peace of mind?!
    Thanks for the support, Pulisa. I guess you're right about being fortunate that I can still pretty much carry on normally. I think if I didn't have the relief of caring for the shelter animals, I might turn into an agoraphobic and obsess over what's happening "out there" right now.

Regarding my doctor, I don't really have one right now. I had to "fire" my old one because she refused to administer a rabies vaccine to me when I started working at the shelter and the new place couldn't help me unless I made them my primary. So I am a member of the new medical group, but haven't seen or designated a doctor..... I just deal (so far) with one of the nurse practitioners. and so far she has been very responsive and communicative. I actually wrote to her last night (through the online portal) suggesting that perhaps the crummy way I'm feeling could be a result of my thyroid levels being off, and I woke up this morning to a message from her saying the blood lab slip would be waiting for me and that she agreed, it would be best to check that first. We have to be our own doctors, but it helps to have a medical professional on our team, too. So, at least so far, the calls with her and the communication through the online portal haven't cost me anything.

I really hadn't realized the degree to which this virus has affected the general population until I was forced to get out there today. I visited the doc's office and they brought the lab slip out to my car. Then I went to the blood lab and there were very few people there, and everyone was very well protected and cautious. And then to the pharmacy, where people were SO considerate and cautious and, surprisingly, all in a good mood and very pleasant. It brought tears to my eyes the way (most) people are pulling together and supporting each other. I'm not sure we will ever go back to our "normal" but that might not be such a bad thing.

So glad to be part of this team..... we're so fortunate to have one another!
    Sue

First - Sue, what a terrifying experience!! You and your boss are so fortunate to have not been seriously harmed. It would not surprise me one bit if some of the things you’re experiencing now are your bodies way of purging that excess adrenaline. Not totally dissimilar from a massive panic attack, we feel drained and physically unwell for a few days after. Good to have your thyroid checked as well though. I’m glad to hear you have a few days off to recoup!

Mrs C that was all so very well said. I love the way you ended your post. A reminder of the things you’re thankful and grateful for. That type of positive thinking will be what gets you through this even stronger than before!

I guess you're all correct in that this had to come out of me one way or another, sooner or later. I really don't know how to process that kind of thing when it's happening.... my coping strategy has always to stay calm, do what I have to do to handle the situation, and then carry on as if nothing happened. Old habits are hard to break and I really don't know any other way. How do others handle stressful events?
    Sue

I do the same as you do, Sue. I think it's fine to acknowledge that sometimes symptoms/sensations can come on a while after a traumatic event-and you certainly had one-but it's quite normal and you are now able to take some time out to rest your brain a bit.

This could be thyroid-related but it may be just that you are a bit knackered and the stress has caught up with you. Not everything should be medicalised although I know with anxiety disorders we tend to look for the worst case scenarios! I do think going on auto pilot to deal with very traumatic situations is the brain's way of coping though and it does work well at the time. You just have to manage any fall out afterwards which you are doing now.

Rest well over the weekend and get your physical and mental strength back xx

Hi Pulisa, I hope you are coping as well as you can be under the circumstances. x

Glassgirlw, I always try to end anything on a positive.
    My dad used to say, "something good always comes out of something bad". I try to remember that. x

Sue, I always think its best to carry on after a trauma, upset or panic attack, because to a certain extent you become a prisoner of that event.
    Although saying that, there needs to be an opportunity to lick your wings so to speak. Otherwise that trauma could stay with you in your subconscious digging away at your mind. This is similar to PTSD.
    There were certain events in my life that I didn't deal with, some along time ago and I'm only starting to process them now.
    There is a saying, "what's done is done" and "you can't change at the past", but when an event prevents you from feeling free or releasing guilt or emotions, it's a good idea to deal with them otherwise they can manifest in pain in body and mind.
    I think the fact you came on this thread and brought the incident up shows that it may have been a delayed shock of being shook up. I know you dealt with it and got through it, but that doesn't mean to say you were not fearful. And what is fear? Anxiety. So it's OK to admit that, lick your wounds, even congratulate yourself on how well you handled the situation and came through it.
    I make a point now of carrying on, but I do find time to process and talk about something that has upset me. It could be the day after or a few days, but I don't like to leave it too long to manifest. My problem before was not talking about things that bothered me or kept my pain and fear to myself. Emotions are of no use to anyone bottled up, they become poison if left too long.
    So take this time Sue to regain that strength and repair that so important mind. x

And Congratulations on the sea babies
    Last edited by Carnation; 18-04-20 at 12:36.

Love all you guys.....this forum is the best medicine there is!
    Sue

I've just spent two whole days going through old photos and thought I'd share with you how comforting it is and how it has helped with dealing with unsolved emotions.
    A photo can tell us so much and I found I saw things that I didn't see before. It strangely didn't make me feel morbid, but reminded me of how I maybe got some things wrong that had been haunting me so much.
    Yes, the past is the past, but if memories of the past haunt you to make you believe in something that maybe didn't exist or you understand the perspective of the situation, it is definitely healing to learn this. x

Wow, that sounds really impactful.... I wish you had elaborated a little more but hopefully you feel more positive about some things that perhaps you were recalling not as accurately as the photos depicted? I hope I interpreted your post correctly.

I don't often go looking through old photos, but when I do have reason to go through them I usually end up feeling sad for things that are now gone, people that are gone, the way things have changed, etc. Hmmmm, that statement in itself was telling: I often recall a lot of the horrible things that happened in my past, but if looking at photos of the past makes me feel nostalgic and longing to go back there, then perhaps they weren't all bad?

Very thought provoking, Mrs. C!
    Sue

Page 243 of 693 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253293343 ... LastLast

Thread Information