Page 325 of 693 FirstFirst ... 225275315323324325326327335375425 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,250 of 6925

Thread: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Re: Relapse! Coping, Symptoms and Tips.

Our FF has a very small hole in the rubber seal on the freezer section. However, over time it allows a little air inside which of course contains humidity. So this causes excess 'frost' to build up. The chest freezer in the outbuilding is better but due to the astronomical cost of energy right now, I've had to unplug it.

Pulisa, washing machine breakdowns are the ultimate nightmare. I remember when I was younger my Dad used to tell me that Monday was 'wash day'. I remember thinking why would it take a whole day to do washing? But after being without a WM, I can see why. Arms aching and skin raw from lugging wet clothes. They didn't need workouts in those days.

Oh Pulisa, I had the boiler breakdown this time last year. And although there was a lot of initial panicking especially because it was that extreme icy weather, I actually coped pretty well. Survival kicks in. 2 weeks without a boiler but luckily had a good ol fashioned emersion heater to fall back on and lots of portable radiators.
    Then the oven packed up in the summer.

Fishman, I never had a washing machine when I first got married so I know how hard it is to hand-wash. Although I do hand-wash some delicate items I certainly wouldn't want to go back to having chafed hands again.
    My mum used to have one of those twin tubs and the spinner would shake and make such a horrendous noise.

Just had a notification my cool box is on its way.

I didn't have a WM for ages either..I remember washing bed sheets in the bath! My parents bought me one when my son came home after major surgery at GOS. Couldn't do without it now! My poor Mum had a Monday "wash day" too..I remember a dreadful mangle and all the hard work involved. We've got it so easy now. I don't think as much washing was done then and you can see why!!

I've never owned a chest freezer..I just couldn't cope with the risk of a breakdown and loads of spoiled food. An FF causes me enough angst!

I agree about the chest freezer Pulisa. Although handy, I only have memories of my mum almost half in the thing bent over trying to find a pie she bought a month ago. I personally would worry about forgotten stuff at the bottom and becoming inedible.

Can you believe I'm actually anxious about my cool box arriving? When they say it's on its way, does that mean the next day, a few days or weeks? Lol, I haven't started the main part of this upheaval yet and already a cat on a hot tin roof.
    In the meantime I'm working my way through eating my reserves in the freezer and making good progress.
    Can't help thinking "this is my emergency stash".
    In a way I would prefer to do all of this in a couple of days or less because the longer it's drawn out the more time I've got to think about it.
    So I'm taking myself into the garden today. It's a rare, sunny and dry day and there's some pruning I want to get done before the birds choose their nesting places.
    I've currently got blackbirds, robins, bluetits, and wrens and they are certainly getting through the seed and nuts.
    I've also been doing my affirmations every morning and evening to find calm and just recently stumbled on some Chi videos that might help to find that balance we so seek when our head is all over the place. Don't you ever feel like giving it a good shake sometimes? I honestly feel like it may be detached from my physical body at times. Ridiculous thoughts. Even I have to laugh sometimes with some of my thoughts. I might be in the kitchen getting dinner ready and I'll think something like "what if the oven explodes when I open the door" or what if I'm incapable of carrying my plate to eat in the lounge and collapse and then I wouldn't have a full stomach". "What if I scold myself with the kettle because I lose control of holding it". "What If, what if what if?" What a ridiculous way to carry on and that's not even including the thoughts of anxiety symptoms. Mr C tells me often to "shut up" and stop being ridiculous. "Just Live", he says.
    He's the complete opposite to me so we work well together. He wouldn't be ready in an emergency, I would. But he has the calm that's needed when I escalate.
    So, I'll be patient with this cool box and occupy myself with other chores until it comes. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Oh, I'm very good with the forward planning, lol. I even know what I'm having for dinner that night. It's more the issue of the upheaval and the thought of going to a fridge with nothing in it. And items dotted all over the place, slightly obsessing about how long they have been out in room temperature.
    I've used a tip I got from my parents about standing milk in a bowl of cool water and it works well.
    I really don't know how my grandparents used to survive with just a larder which was basically a cupboard jutted out of the main house. Some houses still have them.
    And not forgetting outside toilets.

Oh yes Lencoboy. That wouldn't do for me these days, my bladder often wakes me during the night, sometimes several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Oh yes Lencoboy. That wouldn't do for me these days, my bladder often wakes me during the night, sometimes several times.
    Too right Carnation.

A lot of us nowadays don't even know we're born a lot of the time!

A lot of us seem to go into mass meltdown at say, the slightest hint of snow, these days, and it's all the 'Beast from the East' Snowmageddon hysteria!

The Daily Express are the absolute worst for such scaremongering!

Before we bought our first house we lived in a house with an outside toilet for about 18 months I think. It was in the 80's and the rent was incredibly cheap (£5/week). I was so happy when we got an inside toilet!

Wow, that was cheap even for the 80s catkins.
    I suppose you just adapt to whatever your circumstances are.

Page 325 of 693 FirstFirst ... 225275315323324325326327335375425 ... LastLast

Thread Information