Thread: Light period after a heavy period the previous month?

Light period after a heavy period the previous month?

Hi Ladies,

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced fluctuating periods? Last month I had a really heavy period, I actually leaked two days in a row which is most unlike me. I put it down to stress and change of routine as I suddenly lost my job before Christmas and it was incredibly hard to deal with (and still is - I'm still out of work).

The heavy bleeding actually really frightened me and I was dreading it happening again this month, I have been experiencing proper anxiety around it. However, despite having awful period pain yesterday (not uncommon for me) it has been so light! I still need to wear protection but it's probably 50% less bleeding than what I normally get. The colour is also light like at the end of a period (mixed with red). Sorry if TMI I'm just really worried.

I highly doubt I'm pregnant (I think I've lost too much for that) and I'm pretty sure I'm too young for the change!

Anyone else suffered fluctuating / unusual periods when going through a time of significant stress? Can you get a heavy month followed by a light? I can't help worrying that it means there's something wrong.

Thanks all xx

Re: Light period after a heavy period the previous month?

Hi clipclop.

It's very likely that stress could affect your period. It's a very delicate thing that the smallest thing can set it off, I feel. Not fun, especially for us HA sufferers! My period sometimes varies too, so I think it's okay if yours this month is lighter than last month. Lots of (innocent) things could be causing it. Or if you just started, it's not uncommon for the flow to be a bit slow before turning heavier the next couple of days or so.

I get your worries though. I worry a lot about my period too. But I think you're fine!

Yes, this has Bern happening to me on and off for a year now. I brought it up to my obgyn she said stress. Steve said as long as it fluctuates then it's fine.

Oh my word...YES. This can most definitely happen, and does happen. I know you say about too young for the change, but bear this in mind; In perimenopause the hormone levels fluctuate for a few years causing irregularity of cycle length, flow, depth of uterine thickness, and this is a natural change BUT stress and anxiety can cause the same types of hormone imbalances. They aren't dangerous, just odd and a bit of a pain in the bum. What they say to look out for is bleeding between cycles, or cycles not having a gap between them, or any other symptoms like pain or other bodily changes...that is a more severe hormonal imbalance, or another condition that may need treatment.

I once had 9 months without a period during a time of extreme anxiety, and a few times I had a heavy bleed at entirely the wrong time of the cycle. All sorts of oddities can happen if the delicate balance is disturbed.

Hi all,

I just wanted to thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. It's so kind of you and makes me feel less alone. Thank you.

I'm getting other stress symptoms too like migraines and headaches, and trouble sleeping. Think I need to take up meditation again to help me through this unemployed stage. It's hard with so much time on my hands not to fixate. I guess it's not surprising my hormones are all over the place. I keep trying to remind myself that it's my anxiety which is the problem, not the 'ailment'.

Thank you for being there xx

Thread Information