Thread: nature or nurture?

nature or nurture?

Hello,
    Very glad for this group and hope to find inspiration for avoiding AVOIDANCE! I am a 56 year old mum of two grown up children. I have had some version of anxiety most of my life, mainly in the form of panic attacks , agoraphobia and emetophobia, all which overlap and led eventually to a dependence on alcohol and tranquilizers, a dependence which I have beaten. My main concern now is my daughter, who has also had panic most of her life on and off but has now come to a very bad peak in her early 20s. We speak very openly about it and I ask her if she feels she "learned" anxiety from me and she answers honestly, saying that some of my more aggressive bevaviour when using drugs and alcohol was certainly a problem, but that she does not remember specifically me being very anxious. I find if very strange that she has a form of emetophobia as well but does not remember my being scared. I did try my best to hide it and comfort her and her brother when they were ill. I am looking for discussions in general but for feedback from mums or dads in particular, who have children who are showing signs of anxiety. My son seems to have escaped it. My own mother was very anxious as were her own mother. Thank you for this forum.

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya TerryFied and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: nature or nurture?

heya..

anxiety is genetic.... it really does run in families.

My grandad was a very anxious person, he sat in one room for 3 months and only moved to get food and go to the toilet.... my mum isn't but I am.

My ex sister in law is also very anxious and has depression etc.......so my nephew stood no chance with both his mum and his aunt suffering badly.... he had to quit university due to anxiety and panic and is still suffering badly now.

But of course with any genetic things you have to pass on the particular fault for the next person to get it. so some get it and some don't
    Last edited by venusbluejeans; 26-02-18 at 15:23.

Re: nature or nurture?

Forgot to say that it isn't just genetic..... as your post says it can also be a very learnt behaviour too

Thread Information