Thread: Crackling on chest/chest infection

Crackling on chest/chest infection

Hi all, went to the walk in centre today due to oral thrush and a cough. Been diagnosed with a chest infection and prescribed Doxycycline even though only last week I had Tonsillitis and was on Clarithromycin.
    I can't stop coughing and it bloody hurts each time I cough, my heart is racing and I'm coughing up loads of phlegm, my ribs ache and so does my chest :( the symptoms only started this morn.
    I'm afraid that this may turn into Pneumonia or Sepsis :/ I hate being ill. Can anyone give me any advice on how to stop coughing so much? Thanks

Re: Crackling on chest/chest infection

Sorry Dotty (I did get your PM, but thought I'd reply here), I don't know anything about chest infections, I've never had one and nobody in the family has either. The good news is that they've given you antibiotics, which hopefully should start to take effect within a few doses. The only sensible advice I can give is - I would suggest that if you develop a temperature, or the phlegm changes colour from what it is, or your breathing becomes more difficult, or the pain worse, then you should ring your out of hours doctor (or 111 depending on what you have to use in your area). Maybe somebody else who knows about chest infections will come along?

As for the coughing, I suspect that you have to cough it up if the horrible stuff is down there, so making it easier to cough up might be the best thing to do. How about a nice warm bath with lots of steam?

I am coughing up everything fine, it's just painful and I have no fever yet

Have you tried taking an expectorant? That may help clear the phlegm out quicker. An anti inflammatory can help with the pain. If you start to feel worse or run a fever you should see your doc again. For now it seems like it’s prob just your body healing from the chest infection.

When I was sick a few months ago I pulled a muscle in my side from coughing. My dr advised me to support my side when I cough - basically wrap your arms around yourself as if you’re giving yourself a hug and use your hands to steady your rib cage. It helps.

Thread Information