Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeling desperate- pancreatic cancer

Re: Feeling desperate- pancreatic cancer

Only a few days to go JoJo, it will be a relief when you get the scan out the way! No doubt the anxiety has gone up in anticipation though. Re the oil thing, even if there was fat malabsorption (and I think just because it looks like it doesn't mean it is!) then there are many reasons this could occur that are much more likely than PC! I have had this many times over the years and obviously it wasn't to do with PC on any of those occasions or I wouldn't still be around to tell the tale!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie11 View Post
    Only a few days to go JoJo, it will be a relief when you get the scan out the way! No doubt the anxiety has gone up in anticipation though. Re the oil thing, even if there was fat malabsorption (and I think just because it looks like it doesn't mean it is!) then there are many reasons this could occur that are much more likely than PC! I have had this many times over the years and obviously it wasn't to do with PC on any of those occasions or I wouldn't still be around to tell the tale!
    Oh Aussie - thank you so much for the reply it helps so much! Still waiting to see GP. Loooong waiting times on a Monday morning!

Hi JoJo....

You will be OK. Stool does all sorts of strange things with anxiety. It's kind of like a catch-22. We worry about the odd stools. But the odd stools are often from our worry. As for me, I had PanCan HA back in 2013 quite badly. Went through lots of tests and googling. I could name every celebrity that died of PanCan, and thought, if it could happen to them, then it could happen to me. But in the end, here I am 5 years later. I obviously wouldn't be if my pains had been PanCan. Could it happen in reality, in the future? I suppose. But it seems with me, I eventually give up the struggle and just say that whatever happens will happen. I am in the midst of the bladder cancer fear and struggle now...but I suppose eventually I will give that one up too. We can't chase these phantoms forever. Hugs and best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Hi JoJo....

You will be OK. Stool does all sorts of strange things with anxiety. It's kind of like a catch-22. We worry about the odd stools. But the odd stools are often from our worry. As for me, I had PanCan HA back in 2013 quite badly. Went through lots of tests and googling. I could name every celebrity that died of PanCan, and thought, if it could happen to them, then it could happen to me. But in the end, here I am 5 years later. I obviously wouldn't be if my pains had been PanCan. Could it happen in reality, in the future? I suppose. But it seems with me, I eventually give up the struggle and just say that whatever happens will happen. I am in the midst of the bladder cancer fear and struggle now...but I suppose eventually I will give that one up too. We can't chase these phantoms forever. Hugs and best of luck to you.
    Hi Calton - what a lovely uplifting post (right up until you said you were in the middle of a bladder cancer fear!! )
    I hope that gets sorted soon. And you are right, these things do pass one way or another...... hugs and best of luck to you too

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    I am in a silly spiral again (maybe anxiety about my upcoming scan?). I’m not sure what I am asking for from you lovely lot- maybe just a listening ear (or eye!) - or maybe just a sort of log for myself, a way of recording my hysterical thought processes.
    Anyway, WARNING, there is a TMI post coming up (I am so sorry!)

Recently I have been having a sort of oily film on top of my bowel movements - and it is really freaking me out about fat malabsorption and therefore....: pancreatic cancer!

I know I have had - and worried about - this before. In fact, maybe I have always had it to varying degrees, since you have to look in a certain light to see it. But from google I understand that no amount of greasy film is normal. (I KNOW. I GOOGLED!!)

Anyway, here I am in the Dr’s waiting room, where I plan to ask for a fecal fat test.
    I do apologise for this post. I am in such a bad way at the moment....
    Xxx
    Hi Jojo,

How do you know it's fat? I think we talked about this before, but I also once thought I was seeing a greasy film, but it actually turned out to be cloudy urine that was I was seeing (I saw the exact same "grease" after I peed, and continue too - I don't drink enough water). Also, are your stools a normal size and color? From my last doc visit I explained how I thought I was suffering from steatorrhea, and she said that it usually presents as loose, but bulky stool that is either pale or has yellow streaks mixed in (which would be the fat), that can be very difficult to flush due to the fat content and higher than normal gas content.

Also, are you losing weight without trying and feel overly fatigued? If you aren't digesting fats, you would have a hard time maintaining weight, and would be lacking energy because the body uses fat for energy.

Also, since you're googling anyway, you should look into how pancreatic enzyme efficiency (the issue that causes fatty stools) actually takes place. There are two ways, and I'm assuming both are pretty noticeable. When I was worried about what I thought were fatty stools, I researched and actually was able to convince myself I was digesting my fats (for once, googling actually helped).

First, the lack of production of lipase (the pancreatic enzyme that digests fats), is an end-stage occurrence of enzyme deficiency. Since the pancreas has such a large reserve system of enzyme production, fatty stools usually occurs only after 90% of the pancreas has been destroyed. Unless you've been suffering from chronic pancreatitis untreated for a long time (which has distinct symptoms that would have taken you to the doctor by now), you probably aren't seeing grease in the toilet.

OR, a tumor would have to be blocking the pancreatic duct, not allowing the digestive enzymes to enter the duodenum. This would be pretty painful, as it would essentially cause acute pancreatitis-like symptoms, because the enzymes would get backed up and actually cause the pancreas to start digesting itself. This is definitely something you would notice, as acute panc is extremely painful.

I guess there's a third way, if you had a tumor large enough to block off the common bile duct, but you'd also know for sure if that happened, because you'd look like a banana, be shitting chalk, and pissing coca-cola.

What did your doc say?

Hi Hypomania - thank you so much for such an informative reply. It had made me feel much better than the doctor did. My stools are kind of normal other than the greasy film (which I have noticed and worried about before, many times actually, over the years -!!) so I guess if it was end stage PC, I would’ve noticed other stuff by now.
    Anyway the doctor, who I have never met before, actually googled right in front of me about tests to do when a patient presents with fat malabsorption. There are various blood tests, it turns out, which she ordered. What on earth did GP’s do before google?!?!

This is a 12 page thread of pancreatic cancer fears that started the beginning of the year. Think about that. Nearly an entire year has gone by and everyone is still here I don't doubt the members are having symptoms and I'm sure they're quite unpleasant but the reality is, all participating and fearing pancreatic cancer would be critically ill or dead by now.

I hope you find resolution and answers to your symptoms soon so you can start treating your anxiety about them.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    This is a 12 page thread of pancreatic cancer fears that started the beginning of the year. I don't doubt the members are having symptoms and I'm sure they're quite unpleasant but the reality is, all participating and fearing pancreatic cancer would be critically ill or dead by now.

I hope you find resolution and answers to your symptoms soon so you can start treating your anxiety about them.

Positive thoughts
    I am trying to treat my anxiety simultaneously, I promise. Good point though, well made

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    Hi Hypomania - thank you so much for such an informative reply. It had made me feel much better than the doctor did. My stools are kind of normal other than the greasy film (which I have noticed and worried about before, many times actually, over the years -!!) so I guess if it was end stage PC, I would’ve noticed other stuff by now.
    Anyway the doctor, who I have never met before, actually googled right in front of me about tests to do when a patient presents with fat malabsorption. There are various blood tests, it turns out, which she ordered. What on earth did GP’s do before google?!?!
    What blood tests dod she order? Mine ordered an evaluation of pancreatic function (lipase and amalayse levels).

Mine turned out normal. Normal levels generally rules out any inflammation and the fact that I have normal lipase levels reassured me that my pancreas is still producing the enzymes.

Did the doc not give you any ideas as to what it is?
    Last edited by Hypomania; 04-12-18 at 00:23. Reason: Double posted

Quote Originally Posted by Hypomania View Post
    What blood tests dod she order? Mine ordered an evaluation of pancreatic function (lipase and amalayse levels).

Mine turned out normal. Normal levels generally rules out any inflammation and the fact that I have normal lipase levels reassured me that my pancreas is still producing the enzymes.

Did the doc not give you any ideas as to what it is?
    I think it was just vitamin b12, vitamin d, cholesterol, things which would be low if I did in fact have malabsorption (or a poor diet!). I don’t think she was very interested really (fair enough..)

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information