Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeling desperate- pancreatic cancer

Re: Feeling desperate- pancreatic cancer

Do you eat less when you're anxious? I lost over 3 stone in about 4 months when my anxiety was really bad. This happens to me everytime. Also if you're constantly anxious your body burns more calories.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    Do you eat less when you're anxious? I lost over 3 stone in about 4 months when my anxiety was really bad. This happens to me everytime. Also if you're constantly anxious your body burns more calories.
    Yes I do. I feel like I can’t stomach anything. Thank you so much for replying. Xxx

I’ve lost loads of weight in the past because of severe anxiety , just couldn’t eat . Your body is on full Adrenalin no wonder with not eating you have lost some wait including weight loss from loss of fluids from food , how’s the cbt going?

Quote Originally Posted by BeatriceJ View Post
    So sorry you are feeling in the grip of your health anxiety Jojo , it’s awful being in that dark place .i myself have gone through so many bouts , including fear of P.c You sound though that you have a good insight in to it though which is brilliant , I agree with the others regarding seeking out tests , it simply doesn’t work to reassure those of us who sufffer from health anxiety , in fact as I think you already know it just locks you further on it , if you are anything like me you will get even more anxious having the the test / scan and have an agonising wait for results , on getting clear results it gives a lovely but momentary feel of thank god for that but it doesn’t last long , we start doubting the tests ( you read a story of someone who’s scan missed it etc) or we just move on to another scary illness ( with the help of doctor google!) . It’s so hard to fight against the urge to seek medical reassurance but if you want to get to a better place with your health anxiety it’s not a good move . Is CBT helping you ? , keep going you can do this ! , big hugs .
    What an absolutely lovely reply Beatrice- thank you. Everyone is being so lovely it’s bringing tears to my eyes!! I can’t go to the doctor today anyway- too snowy!

I think it's quite normal to lose weight even if you are eating because severe and unrelenting anxiety and probably troubled sleep and loose bowel movements all take their toll on your metabolism and speed it up something rotten!
    Take care, jojo. Stay in the warm if you can and be kind to yourself. No googling!!Beatrice is so right by urging you to focus on your CBT xx

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I think it's quite normal to lose weight even if you are eating because severe and unrelenting anxiety and probably troubled sleep and loose bowel movements all take their toll on your metabolism and speed it up something rotten!
    Take care, jojo. Stay in the warm if you can and be kind to yourself. No googling!!Beatrice is so right by urging you to focus on your CBT xx
    Thank you. I AM trying to be reasonable. I’m not sure what triggered the pancreatic scare but last week I was worried I had ovarian cancer. I’m trying to tell myself I have out of control HA, and it’s just anxiety.... (trying.... not necessarily succeeding!!)

Thank you so much for taking the time to talk me down
    Xx

Hi name same

Try to wait it out. These things dont sound serious. From what I can tell from reading this board, most things can be caused by anxiety.

Trusting doctors is hard. Coming from someone who has been to see over 10 different types of doctors (I dont have HA, my country just has bad doctors lol), I can really understand thinking they could hace missed something, or not being able to trust your doctor, but pancreatic cancer is very very rare. People lose weight for all sorts of reasons. Congrats on your loss though. I hope youre feeling better soon.

Pancreatic cancer fears - trying to be sensible. Please help if you can!

Hellooo
    I’ve been really really trying to keep my health anxiety under control, and I have just come to the end of a course of CBT.... and some days I feel almost normal, with the worries just “back ground noise”.

But not in the last week or so. Recently I’ve become increasingly panicky about pancreatic cancer.
    Evidence I have it:
    1)I have weird pains/sensations in my upper abdomen and mid back
    2)I worry I can feel a lump on the left abdomen near my aorta. (I know for a fact a dr would not be able to feel this as you have to feel REALLY hard and in a certain way, such that I can feel my ribs through the other side, if you know what I mean.)
    3) pancreatic cancer is really horrible and has been a long time phobia of mine.

Evidence that I don’t have it:
    1)I had an ultrasound a few months ago last time I worried about PC that showed nothing (but they often don’t!!)
    2)I have similar symptoms every time I worry about PC (which has been several times over the last decade!) and in the past they have always gone when my worries move on (but this time they feel more real)
    3)I have thought I detected an abdominal lump years ago after intense searching and doctors never have. I could be feeling too hard/wrong/imagining things (but maybe I’m not...)
    4)I’m not losing weight or jaundiced etc (could be early stages)
    5)I’m fit (ran a mountain marathon at the weekend !)(as above...)

But I am REALLY worried. And a bit tearful. What I WANT to do is bypass my doctor and book a private CT scan. But a) im really scared what it will find (don’t want to be diagnosed with terminal cancer at beginning of summer hols) and b) it goes against EVERYTHING i have learned in my CBT

Thank you for reading..... any supportive words would be soooo so appreciated.
    Love Jojo xxx
    Last edited by jojo2316; 27-06-18 at 09:05. Reason: Typos

Re: Pancreatic cancer fears - trying to be sensible. Please help if you can!

Jojo - did you get any exercises at your CBT to help you rationalise this fear for yourself?

CBT takes practice but the more you use it the easier it will become for you.

Re: Pancreatic cancer fears - trying to be sensible. Please help if you can!

Jojo
    If this is taking over your life and a ct scan would give a definitive answer then is it not worth it? I know you worry about what it would show but it would be better to know early would it not. Given that the major symptoms like jaundice etc are missing even if you had it it would be likely to be at an early stage. I had a ct scan looking for pancreatic cancer and the consultant said it gives a better picture of small abnormalities than an mri does.

I think it would be worth seriously considering................

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information