Thread: Pregabalin and IBS

Pregabalin and IBS

Hey there,

Has anyone with IBS-C ever been able to take this medication without any issues? My therapist wants me to start taking it but I have really bad constipation related IBS, and pfd, and I've read that it can make this worse or is not recommended if you suffer with it. I know that it's good for GAD and pain as well as with IC though so I really wanted to take it if it was an option. Is it worth trying regardless and seeing if it goes okay?

Hope someone can answer my question

Re: Pregabalin and IBS

I don't have IBS, but I think it is worth a try - you don't know how it will affect you, and you can always stop taking it if necessary.

(I should say that IBS is "irritable bowel syndrome", and GAD is "generalized anxiety disorder" - there may be people reading who may be unfamiliar with the acronyms. As for me, I don't know IBS-C, pfd, and IC, so anyone please ask if you want these acronyms explained.)
    Last edited by hanshan; 04-03-18 at 06:10.

I had IBS for years. Since I was 17 until I was 27. Tried every medication under the sun for IBS, peppermint Oil, Fibrogel I can remember. Turns out it was Alcohol, Binge drinking Thursday to Sunday with my friends from when I was old enough to when I realised I was an idiot, Have not had a drink since 2007. All that time and the answer was right in front of me and the doc never suggested it. Even a single unit of alcohol gave me IBS. So cutting back does not help, Alcohol has to be removed from the diet completely.

Never had IBS since, and during that time I suffered daily from the "two minute warning". I strongly believe Alcohol is a depressant and will not help GAD.

But that's not the question you asked, sorry to go on a bit. Certainly Pregabalin does not give me constipation and if you have this from IBS in my experience Pregabalin does not effect my bowels at all.

I however was not on pregabalin when I had IBS. I wish you all the best.

I check in on the these forums now and again (I try to avoid them unless it's to pass on some practical advice on my shrink's advice)... anyway this post stood out.

I used to have alternating ibs-c/ibs-d. Since stopping booze and going on pregablin (both to help with anxiety) I've mostly has ibs-c. I've had to vastly increase my fibre or else i think i'd never "go". That's my experience anyway.

I find pregabalin a great drug (on 200mg x 3 per day for the last year or so now).

I have alternating IBS and take pregabalin. While I would say that it's erring more on the C side of things, I haven't noticed a significant difference. The best advice I can give you is to just increase your water and fibre intake. I know it's kind of a boring answer but it's surprising how much those two simple things can prevent it if the medication you're on is prone to causing constipation.

Pregabalin 300mg

Thread Information