Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car phobia, is it agoraphobia in disguise

Re: Car phobia, is it agoraphobia in disguise

Sounds very much like a learned response to me.

There may have been a source incident many years ago, but once you reacted with anxiety once, it becomes expected, and eventually learned. If the sensation can be alleviated or avoided by sitting in the back, by not being 'seen' or by fiddling with something, the problem can be dealt with.

The way I'd deal with it is to say to myself that I know I can feel better by fidgeting with my handbag or by sitting in the back, so I know this isn't a problem that I can't deal with, and I know I'm not in danger. You may have to do this dozens of times.

You have to re-learn how to feel safe in a car over time.

Motion sickness isn't a learned response, and distraction does help but only for a short time. I've puked up on different forms of transport numerous times where everyone else was fine. Not learned response one bit. Motion sickness also contributes to sensory overload. You're right it can be alleviated sometimes. On boats sitting at the front with wind blowing in face helps, but on coach trips I've never had a strategy that works.
    Last edited by GiantMogwai; 08-07-18 at 17:56.

I didn't mention motion sickness, I believe that was you.

Fair enough. Crossed wires. I believe what she is describing is motion sickness although appreciate that is open to interpretation. If it is panic then I take your point. My personal opinion is what she is describing overall is sensory overload and not panic. I'm theorizing and would be interested to hear from Elizabeth how much she experiences sensory overload generally and in what circumstances. As I write this a ticking watch is shredding my nerves and the vibrations from neighbours talking too. I have no fear of those things inherently but individually they hurt and as a collective they may cause me a meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantMogwai View Post
    Fair enough. Crossed wires. I believe what she is describing is motion sickness although appreciate that is open to interpretation. If it is panic then I take your point. My personal opinion is what she is describing overall is sensory overload and not panic. I'm theorizing and would be interested to hear from Elizabeth how much she experiences sensory overload generally and in what circumstances. As I write this a ticking watch is shredding my nerves and the vibrations from neighbours talking too. I have no fear of those things inherently but individually they hurt and as a collective they may cause me a meltdown.

Sure

Either of us could be on to something, or not!

And I would agree that motion sickness is not a learned response.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information