Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gabapentin

Gabapentin

BRAINDEAD Is still alive, i am still pretty bad but been out hospital 5 weeks now. The mood stabilizer GABAPENTIN i want to no about ?? is anyone on the forum on it and does it work on G
    A D

Re: Gabapentin

I take it for neuropathy pain in my feet from chemo treatment. I know it's used for nerve pain and to help prevent seizures but I never heard of it used as a mood stabilizer

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I'm not sure about Gabapentin being a mood stabiliser. Definitely used for neuropathic pain. Is it in the same family of drugs as pregabalin?

It's similar to Pregabalin but much cheaper hence they shifted people onto it to save money.

The guys on the Pregabalin board would be worth asking.

I thought you had tried Preg before?

Isn't this a US site though? Have you been prescribed gabapentin?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I've never heard of Gabapentin being used, even off-label, for GAD, or as a mood-stabiliser (like Valproate).

Pregabalin is licensed to treat GAD (in UK), but not for bipolar as a mood stabiliser.

Never Surrender, Comrade

The NHS trusts have papers online requesting patients are moved from Pregabalin to Gabapentin on a cost basis so that scoops up the anxiety sufferers.

There are SSRI's that aren't licenced for GAD but used by GP's most likely because the NHS have made recommendation of them hence it's not really off labelling.

Some on the Preg board have used Gabapentin for anxiety as I've seen threads/posts about it. I've always had the feeling it's cheaper & weaker from what I've read of those who didn't find the changeover worked but that's very anecdotal.

It's often used first for neuropathy-I got offered it yesterday-but the side effects are quite heavy.
    Weren't gabapentin and pregabalin highlighted as being potentially addictive a while back in the media?

Just to add, there is a guy on the Mirt board switching to Preg to be used as a mood stabiliser. Whilst it's not licenced for that there is some stuff on Wiki about it being off labelled for this so I guess it's out there in the ether for the psychiatrists?

I remember because he was told it was a mood stabiliser yet it's really an anti epilepsy drug.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information